Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default .223 overall length - how long is too long?

I have my first 60 rounds of handloaded .223 ready to hit the range this weekend. Quick question though. I've read a few things about the pressure spikes than can occur if a cartridge is too long and the bullet is sitting on the lands of the barrel when the round is chambered. How can I tell that my rounds are short enough before I hit the range?

It's an AR-15, not a bolt gun, if that changes anything.

(Chester County)

Default Re: .223 overall length - how long is too long?

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    I have my first 60 rounds of handloaded .223 ready to hit the range this weekend. Quick question though. I've read a few things about the pressure spikes than can occur if a cartridge is too long and the bullet is sitting on the lands of the barrel when the round is chambered. How can I tell that my rounds are short enough before I hit the range?

It's an AR-15, not a bolt gun, if that changes anything.
    if you loaded them at or below the listed OAL in the manual you're OK. Also if they load in the magazine they should be OK.

In my bolt gun I'm loading up to land contact less .010" but for an auto stick to lengths that easily operate in the mag. My cannalure is quite far forward of the case mouth and the rounds can't go in the Mag but since I single load this isn't an issue.

Make sure you check your cases for pressure signs on the new loads and have fun.

(Northampton County)

If it doesn't fit in the mag, it is too long. I make them just a hair shorter than the OAL in the book.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by shooter357 View Post
    If it doesn't fit in the mag, it is too long. I make them just a hair shorter than the OAL in the book.
    +1, but I load them as long as I can ad still fit in the mag. If you have a 5.56 or Wylde chamber, anything inside the mag shouldn't be anywhere near the lands and you want them longer for accuracy in most cases.

Work up a dummy round without primer and powder and seat her just beyond what will fit in the mag. Color the bullet with a sharpie and ease it in the chamber (not at speed) and see if you are anywhere near the lands.....I wager you aren't.

Lycangoseethrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    +1, but I load them as long as I can ad still fit in the mag. If you have a 5.56 or Wylde chamber, anything inside the mag shouldn't be anywhere near the lands and you want them longer for accuracy in most cases.

Work up a dummy round without primer and powder and seat her just beyond what will fit in the mag. Color the bullet with a sharpie and ease it in the chamber (not at speed) and see if you are anywhere near the lands.....I wager you aren't.

Lycangoseethrope
    Did that and I'm good to go. Thanks for the advice, sir.

(Blair County)

I regularly load AR/223 rounds so that the bullet seats 1 or 2 thousandths INTO the rifling and have never seen any signs of pressure. In my chamber this ends up being an OAL of 2.553” using a Hornady 75 gr. A-Max. Magazine length is 2.25.

You can measure all this stuff with an RSBS precision mic.

Steve

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWag View Post
    I regularly load AR/223 rounds so that the bullet seats 1 or 2 thousandths INTO the rifling and have never seen any signs of pressure. In my chamber this ends up being an OAL of 2.553” using a Hornady 75 gr. A-Max. Magazine length is 2.25.

You can measure all this stuff with an RSBS precision mic.

Steve
    So how do you load the rifle with the rounds that much longer than magazine length? One at a time into the chamber?

(Blair County)

When shooting CMP Service Rifle or NRA Hi Power, Off Hand (200 yards) and Prone (600 yards) rounds are loaded one-at-a-time, allowing the OAL to be as long as is required for accuracy. BTW, my 20 rnd. mags have been modified to allow a OAL of 2.35”, for use in the rapid fire events (10 rnds in 60 sec., sitting, 200 yards, starting with a mag w/ 2 or 5 rnds or 10 rnds in 70 sec., prone, 300 yards, starting with a mag w/ 2 or 5 rnds, in both positions the time starts while the shooter is standing). The extra 0.100” makes a noticeable difference in some chambers.
    Steve

(Berks County)

Well I'm back from the range and all of the rounds worked great. I didn't get the accuracy I was hoping for out of the 69gr SMK's, but I think I loaded them too short at 2.235". I'm going to load the next batch to magazine length, me thinks.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by BerksCountyDave View Post
    Well I'm back from the range and all of the rounds worked great. I didn't get the accuracy I was hoping for out of the 69gr SMK's, but I think I loaded them too short at 2.235". I'm going to load the next batch to magazine length, me thinks.
    Load them long over Varget.

Lycantrythatthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast