Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Whats a good brand AK?

Looking into getting an AK to add to the collection.

Wondering who makes the most quality but reasonably affordable AK.

I know the milsurp stuff will probably be cheaper but alot of them look like crap to be frank. It looks as though the finish was never applied or is altogether worn off. I know some people like function over fashion but the fact is most ak's already have that functional rep. That being said I'd like to find one that is easy on the eyes to impress my comrades when I bring it out to the range.

The one thing I've heard across the board is Century Arms AK's are complete crap and not to buy them. Also I've heard WASR's of some model are very popular but not nearly top quality. Thanks in advance friends.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Whats a good brand AK?

Century's are hit and miss. Some are great, some are crap. AK's cannot be legally imported so they are demilled (receiver cut) and then rebuilt by Century or other companies on USA made receivers. Most of the AKs on the US market today are Century builds to some degree or other.

WASRs are the bottom of the line, usually completely built by century and show varying degrees of workmanship. The most common problems encountered are poor fit and finish, a single stack magwell, and a canted sight or gas block. Most of these problems can be easily addressed by anyone with either a modicum of mechanical ability or a little bit of cash. They are the "entry level" AK at $250-$550 (preelection) depending on particulars and geography.

Yugo's are generally assembled by Century or others on USA receivers made by various US companies OTHER THAN Century. The fit and finish is markedly better. They are generally of a quality most poddle shooter, er, um, AR afficianados would find acceptable. Pre election pricing was $500-$800 depending on particulars.

Arsenals have excellent fit and finish, and will amaze the ladies and impress your friends. They will also stun your accountant. They start (prelection) about $600 and go up quickly.

Saiga's are made by real Russian AK people who know what AKs are supposed to taste like. They are imported in an importable sporting configuration and then you can invest time and money into modifying them into a non importable 922R configuration. They generally start around $250 (preelection) and the price increases as you move the rifle away from sporter and towards assault style.

Norinco/Polytech are Chinese. They are almost universally pre AWB imports and command a premium these days despite their pre 1994 low cost. Fit and finish are usually good to excellent. They typically start about $1000, and go up.

Those are the ones I'm familiar with. I have a WASR, and just got 2 Yugo's on Wednesday (pics to follow in the next few days). I've looked at, handled, read about, and shot most of the others. I know a guy who has over 15,000 rounds through a WASR which he used in most of the courses offered by Tactical Response, and one or two from Suarez, with no problems. I would trust my life to any of them, but if your looking for a collectors peice, then a WASR isn't it.

You can also get a variety of aftermarket stocks, and accessories for just about any of them, with slightly less variety available for Yugo underfolders due to the different receiver (RPK style), and different rear trunion.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Allegheny County)

Actually;

"WASRs are the bottom of the line, usually completely built by century and show varying degrees of workmanship. The most common problems encountered are poor fit and finish, a single stack magwell, and a canted sight or gas block. Most of these problems can be easily addressed by anyone with either a modicum of mechanical ability or a little bit of cash. They are the "entry level" AK at $250-$550 (preelection) depending on particulars and geography."

All WASRs are 100% Romanian made and imported as single-stack "sporter" rifles.
    Once in the USA, Century (and other companies that imported Romy sporter AKMs) wail away at them to make them USA-922-legal per how they want to sell it; from a high-cap with underfolder, to a low-cap with a PG, or, no mods at all; Pelosi-legal low-cap with PSL stock.

"Yugo's are generally assembled by Century or others on USA receivers made by various US companies OTHER THAN Century. The fit and finish is markedly better. They are generally of a quality most poddle shooter, er, um, AR afficianados would find acceptable. Pre election pricing was $500-$800 depending on particulars."

Century Yugos - like their Hungarian AMDs and Polski Tantals - were mix-master AKMs contract-built for Century using refurbed Yugo parts. No promise of parts matching, but at least well made with quality USA recvrs and new bbls. About 9 months ago, these AKMs were probably the best AKM under $600.00 in the USA. Century doesn't list these guns as available anymore, so you have to find what is already in some dealer's hands.

"Saiga's are made by real Russian AK people who know what AKs are supposed to taste like. They are imported in an importable sporting configuration and then you can invest time and money into modifying them into a non importable 922R configuration. They generally start around $250 (preelection) and the price increases as you move the rifle away from sporter and towards assault style."

Unlike the PSL-stocked/single-stack WASRs, SAIGAs tackle the import-ban sporting rifle issue by building them with re-located triggers to accomadate a civvie stock, along with mag-release tweaks to prevent AK mag use, and, by using non-standard mags - they have the missing feed-ramp as part of the mag.
    Yes, 100% made in Russia but you will find that they take a bit more effort to turn them into an "AKM" than would the low-cap sporty WASRs.

The cat was let out the bag on SAIGA conversions a long time ago, so the big trick is finding any SAIGAs for a reasonable price anymore.
    Last edited by nfafan; December 12th, 2008 at 09:00 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

I don't think you can really go wrong purchasing an AK right now! If you find a WASR in great condition, you still have a fine gun that will run like an AK should! You just have to inspect them close before you buy. I am still considering a WASR single stack just so I can modify it (under 922r rules, of course) to accept double stack mags. I feel lucky to have found my Yugo M70AB1 at a great price only 6 months ago! To me, the Yugo's are just awesome! Built like a tank and rock solid!

(Allegheny County)

Right now the best AK is the one that you can find and afford. Unfortunately, now is a very bad time to buy an AK. Prices have sky rocketed. Yugos that went for ~$500 now are selling for $700+.

If your looking for a reasonably priced one, look for the following:

Chinese MAK 90
    Romanian SAR 1 ... WASR aren't bad if you can look them over
    Yugo M70

You might be able to find one of the above at a decent price, but you will have to be ready to jump on something quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

I didn't see Lancaster mentioned in here yet. I picked up my first AK just last month. It's a Lancaster with Red furniture. My buddy PhillyChopin picked up one from Atlantic (also a Lancaster with Red furniture). We took them out last week and my God they are great. His Red is much deeper than mine.

Lancasters are running between $650-750. It's built like a tank and just fun as hell.

(Philadelphia County)

The Century WASR's are definitely hit or miss. My cousin has one, and he had nothing but problems with the magazine not seating right, and not feeding properly.
    He brought it back to the dealer that he purchased it from, and they gave him a new one. This one works perfectly, but the fit and finish is shitty.
    However it works great.....

I have a Yugo Underfold, and it is rock solid piece of kick ass machinery.
    The fit is tight and solid, and the finish looks battle tested.
    It is a Yugoslavian parts kit on a Century Arms receiver. I have about 1500rd through it (which is absolutely nothing for an AK), and I have not had one problem with it, and I have only cleaned it once. It is a great rifle.

I just bought a Lancaster Arms AK 47 about a month ago. It has blonde furniture with a fixed buttstock. It is a Romanian parts kit with a tapco G2 trigger, built on a DCI receiver. The fit and finish is beautiful (inside & out)
    Lancaster Arms did a helluva job on these builds.
    I just shot it last night for the first time, and it is an awesome rifle.
    Lancaster Arms also gives you a lifetime warranty....

I love my AK's, and I love post pics of them...

ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Somerset County)

I need an AK pistol. Not sure why but they look fun to shoot. Anyone have any ideas?

heres my $90.00 polytech underfolder in action. best 90.00 i ever spenthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZJw-uNnDGg
    FJB

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    heres my $90.00 polytech underfolder in action. best 90.00 i ever spenthttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZJw-uNnDGg
    $90.00?????
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast