Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Convicted computer hacker - going to a range?

Hi, I'm and MD resident convicted of a felony for computer hacking and sentenced to probation. I'm aware that what I did was quite stupid, and I have learned a lot from it and changed for the better. In MD I'm allowed to own black powder guns. I would like to add that my offense was a very overblown college prank, and did not involve stealing or destroying anything. I've never even had a traffic ticket.

I take trips up to PA a good bit, and I was looking over 18 Pa.C.S. § 6105. My offense best corresponds to § 7611(a)(1), which is not on the list of prohibiting offenses for possession of a firearm in § 6105(b) or meets subsection (c).

I'm currently seeking a gubernatorial pardon for my offense, which I do expect to receive, albeit in some years as the system is terribly backlogged.

My question is simple: is it legal for me to shoot at a range in PA?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Convicted computer hacker - going to a range?

Since it is a felony, you are federally prohibited until you get it pardoned/expunged.

In PA, it is my understanding (and I am NOT a lawyer) that you are prohibited from modern and black powder weapons as long as you are a felon.

I would not go to a range.

(Schuylkill County)

Is a convicted hacker allowed to be on the internet? Are you sure your not prohibited from internet use?

Quote Originally Posted by eyecanshoot View Post
    Is a convicted hacker allowed to be on the internet? Are you sure your not prohibited from internet use?
    Quite ironically, my probation terms did not even have any restrictions placed upon technology usage. I was just drug tested to no end...

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post
    Since it is a felony, you are federally prohibited until you get it pardoned/expunged.

In PA, it is my understanding (and I am NOT a lawyer) that you are prohibited from modern and black powder weapons as long as you are a felon.

I believe not under 18 USC § 921 as PA has adopted differing laws. My conviction was on a state level, not federal. At least that's what my defense lawyer told me, I've been shooting in Delaware several times.

Edit: Interesting case from the 7th circuit involving the schism between state and federal law on firearms possession for a convicted felon: https://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov...4.91-3744.html

This would have to be PA specific, as for example in DE it is perfectly legal (or at least my lawyer told me) to possess all the guns I want.
    Last edited by dr_hax; May 25th, 2013 at 12:40 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by dr_hax View Post
    Hi, I'm and MD resident convicted of a felony for computer hacking and sentenced to probation. I'm aware that what I did was quite stupid, and I have learned a lot from it and changed for the better. In MD I'm allowed to own black powder guns. I would like to add that my offense was a very overblown college prank, and did not involve stealing or destroying anything. I've never even had a traffic ticket.

I take trips up to PA a good bit, and I was looking over 18 Pa.C.S. § 6105. My offense best corresponds to § 7611(a)(1), which is not on the list of prohibiting offenses for possession of a firearm in § 6105(b) or meets subsection (c).

I'm currently seeking a gubernatorial pardon for my offense, which I do expect to receive, albeit in some years as the system is terribly backlogged.

My question is simple: is it legal for me to shoot at a range in PA?
    If the guns you will be shooting are solely "antique firearms", IE: blackpowder guns that don't use fixed cartridges, guns made prior to 1898, and guns made after 1898 who's ammunition isn't available through normal means of commerce - then quite possibly yes.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by dr_hax View Post
    I believe not under 18 USC § 921 as PA has adopted differing laws. My conviction was on a state level, not federal. At least that's what my defense lawyer told me, I've been shooting in Delaware several times.

Edit: Interesting case from the 7th circuit involving the schism between state and federal law on firearms possession for a convicted felon: https://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov...4.91-3744.html

This would have to be PA specific, as for example in DE it is perfectly legal (or at least my lawyer told me) to possess all the guns I want.
    Read these posts:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/1799458-post-63.html

http://forum.pafoa.org/1799468-post-64.html

And I'm not saying your conviction was federal. I'm saying that federal law makes your state conviction of a felony a federal prohibitor.

I can see some situtations that *MAY* potentially allow you to handle black powder weapons in PA. But you would need to talk to a lawyer who specializes in PA firearms laws to see if your situation would allow that. But short of that, I wouldn't even consider it.
    Last edited by t1066; May 25th, 2013 at 12:56 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by t1066 View Post

Federal law doesn't prohibit a felon from owning, using, possession "antique" type firearms.

Nor does any felony that has a max sentence up to one year prohibit a person from owning any type of gun(some states still have 1year max felonies). And neither do certain white collar felonies.

PA's 6105 doesn't further prohibit him.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    Federal law doesn't prohibit a felon from owning, using, possession "antique" type firearms.
    I did understand that.

Nor does any felony that has a max sentence up to one year prohibit a person from owning any type of gun(some states still have 1year max felonies). And neither do certain white collar felonies.

PA's 6105 doesn't further prohibit him.
    I'd forgotten the under 1 year limit.

Though at this point, I'm wondering if I can get black powder weapons. My current record is a non-specific 6 month misdemeanor from another state.

Not sure if it worth the consult though, as I'm hoping in a few months it will become a non-issue for me.

(Washington County)

It's obvious from your user name that you are totally rehabilitated.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast