Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Angry This is a shame and a disgrace.

University of Pittsburgh campus post-Super Bowl damage put at $48,000

Thursday, February 19, 2009
    By Bill Schackner, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

It could take $48,000 to repair damage done on the University of Pittsburgh campus during an unruly post-Super Bowl celebration on Feb. 1, a newspaper published by Pitt reported today.

The university had previously not released a figure, but an article in this morning's University Times includes the dollar estimate related to broken windows and damage to trees, wrought iron tables and other objects. The figure apparently does not include damage done along Oakland streets just off campus.

On Feb. 6, Pitt spokesman Robert Hill told the Post-Gazette that 20 students faced judicial proceedings, including two students suspended, and that more could face sanctions. This morning's University Times said the total now stands at 24 students accused of offenses from disorderly conduct to burning on campus.

Meanwhile, an effort is continuing by a Pitt student, Marc Schutzbank, to solicit donations from the campus to help pay for some of the damage done in the neighborhood. The ticket office at the Willim Pitt Union has been accepting the donations, and the school is holding the money until it's decided how it will be distributed.

Police have been reviewing video and still photos of the crowd as they pursue those responsible for the vandalism.

First published on February 19, 2009 at 1:00 pm

The students (and/or whoever is paying their tuition) who damaged University property should be made to cough up some cash toward that $48,000 figure. And they should face disciplinary action by the school AND criminal charges should continue to be filed as they discover who they are. HG

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: This is a shame and a disgrace.

It's a godsend Philly doesn't win more professional championships - the city is in disrepair as it is; any more "celebration" and it would have to be considered an uninhabitable area.

What is it that makes seemingly normal people act like morons when "their team" wins it all? Is it the beer, or is it the inadequateness of their own lives - which they have to legitimize by what "their team" does - that makes people destroy property that isn't theirs?

(Mifflin County)

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    It's a godsend Philly doesn't win more professional championships - the city is in disrepair as it is; any more "celebration" and it would have to be considered an uninhabitable area.
    Many of us already consider it uninhabitable.
    Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    What is it that makes seemingly normal people act like morons when "their team" wins it all? Is it the beer, or is it the inadequateness of their own lives - which they have to legitimize by what "their team" does - that makes people destroy property that isn't theirs?
    Herd mentality. One moron does something stupid and the rest of the herd follows the "leader".

people live in philly? hmm... interesting

(York County)

Angry Re: This is a shame and a disgrace.

I'm not sure how this so called "Tradition" started where people feel the need to have to vandalize property after a city's team wins a major sporting title. I hear this kind of thing every year and it pisses me off and it pisses me off even more when it happens in my own state. My guess is most of the people who participate in this kind of thing are not even sporting fans but rather punks and thugs who are just looking for another reason to break the law.
    Rehab is for quitters!!

(Northampton County)

Well, I'd take the estimate down an order of 10, and estimate the damage realistically at somewhere in the ballpark of $5,000-$10,000. When I was going to school up at Cornell, I recall the "custom" coffee tables that cost $500 to replace, and the "custom" desk chairs that cost $700 to replace, hence my justification for adjusting the cost to a non-inflated number. Still a shame and a disgrace, though.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by IV_Warrior View Post
    Herd mentality. One moron does something stupid and the rest of the herd follows the "leader".
    I would go one further and say the mentality is one of escalation, not just following a "leader". The shitbirds have to "outdo" each other and the natural progression is an escalation of actions. Reminds us to never underestimate the danger of stupid people in large numbers. Truly pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    Well, I'd take the estimate down an order of 10, and estimate the damage realistically at somewhere in the ballpark of $5,000-$10,000. When I was going to school up at Cornell, I recall the "custom" coffee tables that cost $500 to replace, and the "custom" desk chairs that cost $700 to replace, hence my justification for adjusting the cost to a non-inflated number. Still a shame and a disgrace, though.
    I believe the damage estimate reflects what was inflicted on the surrounding community, not necessarily damage "on campus". I worked with a Campus Security Agency years ago and you are correct, the "industrial" grade furniture always "cost" more, especially when the "dickhead tax" is figured in

Be safe (and don't be assessed a "dickhead tax").

Scott