Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Need help with XD40 trigger problem

I bought a Springfield XD40 Tactical really cheap. Seller showed me (dry fire) that it would only occasionally fire. When I got it home I was unable to field strip (remove the slide) because it will not dry fire. Any one know how to uncock the weapon to allow disassembly?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Need help with XD40 trigger problem

I can't help with your specific problem, but I would ship that gun to Springfield ASAP. They are fantastic with warranty work and the lifetime warranty should be honored even though you bought it used. This is the type of thing they would want to fix anyway as it could be dangerous. I think that is the best way for you to proceed.

AJ

Good advice! I was just hoping it was a quick fix.

Quote Originally Posted by hipowr View Post
    I can't help with your specific problem, but I would ship that gun to Springfield ASAP. They are fantastic with warranty work and the lifetime warranty should be honored even though you bought it used. This is the type of thing they would want to fix anyway as it could be dangerous. I think that is the best way for you to proceed.

AJ
    Like hipowr said return it to SA as fast as u can, They will repair it. Last owner must have done something to it. That sounds strange for an XD to not work.

Semper Fi,

Many thanks. I will ship it off to SA. I too thought they were "bulletproof"

(Adams County)

Spray some solvent in the firing pin hole, wait 30 seconds, then rack the sh!t out of it. It sounds like he somehow gummed up the striker channel.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

Thanks for the tip. I was actually able to field strip the weapon to clean it and check for damage.

(Montgomery County)

Trigger spring... I had my go on me at around 8,000 rounds I think. If you call the local springfield number they will send you a fedex sticker (free i think) to put on a box. You take it to the fedex center and you'll get it back in about a week. They kick ass at service!

I got to this thread a bit late, but I did want to mention this for future reference. I believe that what the OP is saying is that the pistol stays "cocked" even though they are pulling the trigger. Is that correct? Since the XD will not fire and "decock" then he was having trouble getting the slide off. If that is the case, this is something that you can do to that would be referred to as "decock" the XD.

This could be VERY BAD to do with a loaded pistol, so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be careful. If you ever had to drop the sear on an XD that will not "fire", you can actually take something metal and make a little kind of fork or U on the end. You can slide it under the little gap between the frame and slide, and use it to drop the sear and decock the pistol. This will then allow you to disassemble the XD, to at least try to diagnose the problem or to replace a spring without sending it to Springfield. They are now shipping off quite a few of their springs and parts, so this might save you a little down time. If you have any other problems like this or are just curious about little things like this that you can do, the XD forum is a pretty good place to read up.