Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Child Custody

(Greene County)

Default Child Custody

I have been reading some of the posts on here the past few weeks, and this got me thinking about fire arms and child custody.

Lets say in a hypothetical situation that I know someone who has a child with a "difficult" ex.

He is a responsible and completly legal gun owner. Guns are stored with trigger locks, in safes, and away from said children. The guns go no where near the Ex, never carried in her presence, never even seen or heard reference of a fire arm. The only reason why the kids would know is because they are of an age where they should start learning proper and safe fire arm usage. Maybe even a little hunting, and some good father son bonding over trigger time

He has never been accused of any violence, been arrested, or done anything wrong ever.

What happens if the ex decided to make a false accusation? Something to the effect of the children being in danger? Or perhaps she feels threatened? Maybe a false restraining order?

Has anyone ever been through this before?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Child Custody

Going to watch this thread...I haven't, but I know for a fact that any ex can say anything they want and cause a nightmare for the other partner, and that it happens all the time. There are a lot of (especially women) ex's who claim the other partner were abusive, and because there is so much real abuse that goes on, every liar is also believed and they can make the life of the ex miserable.

Its too bad that there are people out there who have no qualms about ruining somebody's life with lies.

I'm pretty sure that if you (not really YOU per se) had a problem with somebody's guns, you could have something legal done about it (say, reducing custody time or something).
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mdcmn7 View Post
    I have been reading some of the posts on here the past few weeks, and this got me thinking about fire arms and child custody.

Lets say in a hypothetical situation that I know someone who has a child with a "difficult" ex.

He is a responsible and completly legal gun owner. Guns are stored with trigger locks, in safes, and away from said children. The guns go no where near the Ex, never carried in her presence, never even seen or heard reference of a fire arm. The only reason why the kids would know is because they are of an age where they should start learning proper and safe fire arm usage. Maybe even a little hunting, and some good father son bonding over trigger time

He has never been accused of any violence, been arrested, or done anything wrong ever.

What happens if the ex decided to make a false accusation? Something to the effect of the children being in danger? Or perhaps she feels threatened? Maybe a false restraining order?

Has anyone ever been through this before?
    People on this forum have been through this before. If it is a baseless accusation, with no merit whatsoever, the accused will become a prohibited person and have all of their firearms and "weapons" confiscated. That's automatic and simply a requirement of the law. If the accusation is made by a woman against a man, I would assume that custody of the children would be revoked from the man as well.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    People on this forum have been through this before. If it is a baseless accusation, with no merit whatsoever, the accused will become a prohibited person and have all of their firearms and "weapons" confiscated. That's automatic and simply a requirement of the law. If the accusation is made by a woman against a man, I would assume that custody of the children would be revoked from the man as well.
    That's terrible.

I'm a woman but it sickens me to see other women ruin a man like this....so what if they hate them, so what if they didn't want to stay married...its not fair they can use their status as "woman" to ruin his life in the court system and take away his children. :-(
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Lebanon County)

yes it has happened, and for as long as the temp restraining order is in place, the falsely charged is a prohibited person. In that time he spends a lot of money to clear his name, and if he's lucky and has spent enough money on a good lawyer, he gets justice, otherwise he get's stuck and becomes a permanent prohibited person.

(Bucks County)

I remember a murder case in Delaware,
    3 brothers involved
    I think the murdered lady was mary joe kapickney.
    Husband or boyfriend killed her and the brothers took a boat ride, put here in a cooler and dumped her in the Atlantic, the DA couldn't prove it, they had a lot of circumstantial evidence, but nothing concrete.
    The brothers wouldn't rat on him,
    The one brother had kids,the DA threatened to take the kids out of there mom and dads house, because he had firearms in the house and charge the father with child endangerment if he didn't rat on his brother.

traumatize the kids because the DA wasn't good enough to prove the case.

so I wouldn't put to much faith in the system for coming to a just conclusion
    If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

(Greene County)

[QUOTE=cakeshooter;1871358]but I know for a fact that any ex can say anything they want and cause a nightmare for the other partner, and that it happens all the time.[QUOTE]

You sir would be correct

My buddy, who for the thin veil of anonymity we will call "Bob" has been through it. Every time the woman wants something and Bob doesent give in, she gets legal.

He has been accused of sexual abuse, physical abuse, neglect and a host of other charges over the years. There have been restraining orders, custody hearings, custody evaluations, more police intervention than can be counted on two hands. All of which have been thrown out after thousands of dollars in legal bills.

Every single time the accusations have been proven to be bullshit. Judges, have yelled at her. Cops shrinks and children and youth have written letters on his behalf and were willing to testify on his behalf, and yet she still persists.

Thankfully fire arms have never been a issue yet.

Now bobs son is old enough to learn about fire arms. Some of bobs best memories of his dad growing up were shooting, and he just wants to share that with his son.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by mdcmn7 View Post
    He has been accused of sexual abuse, physical abuse, neglect and a host of other charges over the years. There have been restraining orders, custody hearings, custody evaluations, more police intervention than can be counted on two hands. All of which have been thrown out after thousands of dollars in legal bills.

Every single time the accusations have been proven to be bullshit. Judges, have yelled at her. Cops shrinks and children and youth have written letters on his behalf and were willing to testify on his behalf, and yet she still persists.

Thankfully fire arms have never been a issue yet.

Now bobs son is old enough to learn about fire arms. Some of bobs best memories of his dad growing up were shooting, and he just wants to share that with his son.
    Not sure how long ago this happened, but Protection From Abuse (PFA, aka "restraining order") is an automatic prohibitor and requires seizure of all firearms.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 51158 View Post
    I think the murdered lady was mary joe kapickney
    Mary Jo Kopechne was the woman that Ted Kennedy killed in his car. Speculation is that she was pregnant so maby that was the ultimate abortion.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Recruiter View Post
    Mary Jo Kopechne was the woman that Ted Kennedy killed in his car. Speculation is that she was pregnant so maby that was the ultimate abortion.
    OOPS.
    I guess I should have done the search first.

the girl was Anne Marie Fahey
    the families name was Capano
    this is the link to the story through wikipedia

the threat of the DA is accurate though. I just remember that I couldn't beleave the callousness
    Last edited by 51158; January 23rd, 2012 at 09:04 PM.
    If You Need A Color In The Name Of Your Cause, You're The "RACIST" !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast