Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Personal Safe Question

Hey all,
    I've recently been looking for a small "personal" size safe that I could put in my closet for pistols and valuables. I have looked at the gunvault line, but many people say that they are easy to break into. Can anyone recommend a good small safe for under $500. I am really looking to spend around $200 due to being a broke graduate student. Thank you for the help in advanced!!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Personal Safe Question

Where did you hear that gunvaults are easy to break into? There is one youtube video that shows one that had a defect, but AFAIK that was the only one with that particular issue.

Look for a safe that is heavy, at least 10 gauge steel, at least 30 minute fire rating, and has holes for bolting to the floor. Also if it has an electronic lock, try to find one that has a key backup for in case the electronics fail or the battery goes dead. When you get it, bolt it to the floor using the manufactures specifications, or better. People have had entire gun safes stolen in a matter of minutes when they are not bolted down. It wouldn't be hard to get a safe out of a house and into a pickup truck in under 2 minutes if you have a few big guys and an appliance dolly, especially when you aren't worried about scratching the walls.

(Berks County)

Agreed...bolting it down completes the deal. I personally like dial combos...no batteries, no keys. Make sure you give someone you know and trust (attorney, accountant) the combination in the event of an unplanned demise.

Fire rating is key, also. The longer it lasts, the better...though this sometimes adds to the cost.

I bought mine from Home Depot...about 1 cubit foot of interior space for under $200. Not the best, but right for my needs.

Remember...anything can be compromised. Protect yourself by not sharing your ownership of a safe.
    USAF 77-79, SAC, DMAFB, 390 MIMS, Titan II Crew Chief

(Bucks County)

Stay away from the 'bio-metric' fingerprint reading units too. They work just fin under ideal conditions, but not in a hurry. They also do NOT work if you have a defect in your fingerprint: papercut, burn, blister, scrath....whatever. Life will ensure that this will be the case when you need it in a hurry!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Manxdriver View Post
    Stay away from the 'bio-metric' fingerprint reading units too. They work just fin under ideal conditions, but not in a hurry. They also do NOT work if you have a defect in your fingerprint: papercut, burn, blister, scrath....whatever. Life will ensure that this will be the case when you need it in a hurry!
    I've also heard reports that biometric safes can be finicky, however I wanted to touch on your second point. Most biometric safes allow you to scan multiple fingerprints, so you could have access with any of your 10 fingers (assuming you have 10 ) and/or allow access for other people in your family, etc.

(Bucks County)

I have read a lot of reviews on the gunvault- specifically the larger non biometric model that has a shelf in the middle. Many of the reviews mentioned the locking mechanism being faulty and easily "bounced." Do you guys have any brand suggestions? One that keeps coming up is stackon, does anyone have any experiences with these safes?

(Clarion County)

I don't know ? That sounds pretty personal to me.
    On a serious note ,should you have any questions on installation,I've spent the better part of my life designing and installation of many of these .You would be shocked to know how paranoid the rich people of the world are(EEEK)!
    I am humbly at your service.

(Elk County)

I have a few Sentry combination safes for just that purpose, and I haven't paid over $200 for any of them. Got them at office supply stores, resale shops, and a garage sale.

Like this one:

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    I've also heard reports that biometric safes can be finicky, however I wanted to touch on your second point. Most biometric safes allow you to scan multiple fingerprints, so you could have access with any of your 10 fingers (assuming you have 10 ) and/or allow access for other people in your family, etc.
    Mythbusters did an episode on biometric fingerprint safes.

They were able to break into them using little more than a PHOTO COPY of a fingerprint.

Stay away.

I would look on craigs list. You can get used safes on there really cheap. Just get one made for money drops or whatever.

(Berks County)

Like Noah Z, I have Sentrys and a big old Gardall. Got the Gardall at an auction - $50. The Sentry models are very reliable and cost-effective.

Buying used is good, unless you share personal details, like where you live, what you're keeping in it, etc. (Duh...but food for thought.)
    USAF 77-79, SAC, DMAFB, 390 MIMS, Titan II Crew Chief

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast