Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default 1911 help. what am i doing wrong ?

ok picked up my new springfield 1911 yesterday, now today i get off work and decide to clean it and learn how to tear it down.. not hard at all BUT !

i cannot get the SLIDE STOP all the way in, what am i doing wrong ??

i have the barrel link ? ( thing with the hole in it) lined up and the slide stop going through it but it will not push in the whole way...

P.S. i can't believe how dirty the thing was !! i need to get a better cleaning brush this nylon one wont get the barrel as clean as i want !

any help would be great. its driving me nuts sitting on the desk in front of me. taunting me !!!
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

Default Re: 1911 help. what am i doing wrong ?

I had the same issue with my Springfield. The plunger was keeping the slide stop from going in all the way to the point the slide got jammed. What I ended up doing was used a thin blade to hold the plunger in while I got the slide stop back in. It's a real pain in the ass. I'm sending mine off to Springfield to get some work done later this month and I figured while it's there I'm going to have them see if they can fix that 'cause it does it every frickin' time.

Good luck.

(Dauphin County)

Do you have the slide pulled back the same distance as when you took it out? The slide stop lines up with the notch in the slide.
    Wait until you take a ruger mkII apart.

(Blair County)

OK, I'm sure the pros will knock me for this but...

You must hold the back end of the slide stop high in order for it to go in, then lower the back end of the slide stop.

At least that's been my experience.
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

(Dauphin County)

it seams that might be it but i still cant get it, if i spin the stop it will go the whole way through but even with somethign between the stop and the little plunger it wont go in

and the more i try the more it starts to scratch... wtf ?

(Dauphin County)

ya the slides back it is through to the point that the nipple of the other end is flush out of the other side..

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4XLT View Post
    ok picked up my new springfield 1911 yesterday, now today i get off work and decide to clean it and learn how to tear it down.. not hard at all BUT !

i cannot get the SLIDE STOP all the way in, what am i doing wrong ??

i have the barrel link ? ( thing with the hole in it) lined up and the slide stop going through it but it will not push in the whole way...

P.S. i can't believe how dirty the thing was !! i need to get a better cleaning brush this nylon one wont get the barrel as clean as i want !

any help would be great. its driving me nuts sitting on the desk in front of me. taunting me !!!
    While reassembling, you should not line up the slide to the "stop" position, but rather that smaller notch about an inch to the rear on the slide.

The stop should slide right in.

Did that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by SHEPHERD321 View Post
    Wait until you take a ruger mkII apart.
    The Ruger mk series pistols aren't hard to disassemble/reassemble as long as you read the directions...

(Dauphin County)

yes thats where i have it, a small cruve spot behind the stop notch... i actually pulled the slide back and watched for the barrel link to be seen and then lined up the hole.... still cannot get it to push through the whole way...

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by 4XLT View Post
    yes thats where i have it, a small cruve spot behind the stop notch... i actually pulled the slide back and watched for the barrel link to be seen and then lined up the hole.... still cannot get it to push through the whole way...
    NOW I see it. I replied on your pretty picture. First, release the recoil spring and plunger. Then, draw the slide back with the little notch over the tip of the slidestop. Then use a small screwdriver blade or your knife blade to depress the "slide stop plunger" rearward, back into the tube that is just to the rear of the slide stop. The other end of the tube holds the safety plunger. You'll see it.

While this plunger is depressed, then push the slide stop into the frame through the little notch.

Flash

(Dauphin County)

that was suggested already and tried... still not doing it have tried it a few times and my thumbs are starting to hurt from pushing so hard..it came out very easily, kinda wierd my CZ needs somethign to pry it out with but goes back together easy...

eta: that i have not yet pushed the recoild spring and plunger in, that was the first thing to breakdown so i figured it would be the last to assemble///

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast