Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Glock 23 Problem

Hey folks,

I shot my Glock 23 the other day and on the final round in the magazine, the slide would not stay open. This would happen everytime. The gun has about 5,000+ rounds and this is the first problem of any kind, including jams. The magazine I was using was a older high capacity 14 round one, and I'm wondering if that was the problem with maybe the spring finally wearing out, and not the gun itself. I didn't have any other magazine available to check. I'm not sure when I can get back out to the range, but was looking for any ideas or advice for the problem.

Default Re: Glock 23 Problem

I would say it has to be the spring in the mag, If this mag has been there for all +5k. Someone with more exp with glocks will be along shortly i am sure..

Semper Fi,

Quote Originally Posted by ENG5TRK View Post
    Hey folks,

I shot my Glock 23 the other day and on the final round in the magazine, the slide would not stay open. This would happen everytime. The gun has about 5,000+ rounds and this is the first problem of any kind, including jams. The magazine I was using was a older high capacity 14 round one, and I'm wondering if that was the problem with maybe the spring finally wearing out, and not the gun itself. I didn't have any other magazine available to check. I'm not sure when I can get back out to the range, but was looking for any ideas or advice for the problem.

(Chester County)

You hit on it - Try a different mag. I'm guessing that bad mag is your only one, and after 5000 rounds with that one mag its probably beat. If you have a shop in the area that is good you can show them your problem and they will let you insert a brand new empty mag...you pull back on the slide and it should stay locked open. Then pay for the mag; buy a 2nd if the price is right.

(Montgomery County)

Springs, Springs, Springs...

If you have shot 5,000 rounds out of your pistol it needs lots of springs, all of them in fact... to be changed. Our weapons must be maintained. Few people would try to drive their car 50,000 miles without any maintenance at all... well a few would.

Pistols of all kinds (Glock Perfection included) need regular spring replacement, which can be performed by an armorer. Magazines springs are one thing, yes they should be changed as well. But in a Glock there are six springs in the pistol that should be changed on a regular basis not including the magazine spring. For my carry weapons I have the springs changed every 1-2 years.

Here is an example of a Glock spring kit, although I am not sure if this is the right kit for you (I am not a Glock guy):

http://glockparts.com/?mainURL=/stor...gory_id%3D62nj

As for magazine springs, they are cheap and should also be changed regularly. Here is the one you are looking for from a Pennsylvania company that makes superb products:

http://www.gunsprings.com/SemiAuto/G....html#Magazine
    Last edited by Steve_NEPhila; November 2nd, 2009 at 09:01 AM. Reason: misread a number in the OP, added mag spring link
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the info, I never thought about the other spring componants. Thats a good point.

(Allegheny County)

As mentioned, springs! Likely time for new mag springs, recoil spring, trigger spring, etc for maximum longevity of .40 Glocks... wouldn't hurt to check the pins and other internals while it's apart too.

I had the same problem. I ripped apart the mag and cleaned it and no more problems. The thing was really gummed up. Try cleaning it.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.