Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bad Example

Unhappy Bad Example

I was having a conversation with an acquaintance this morning. She is very much pro gun, owns them, comfortable around them, etc. She has no problem with my open carrying or concealed carrying, even though she does not carry herself. But part of our conversation revolved (get it, revolved?) around other people who made her just a bit uncomfortable.

She was at a wedding in Bethlehem recently. A number of the men were CC during the ceremony - no problem of course, since no one knew anything about their weapons. At the reception, she said a number of them removed their suit jackets, revealing holstered handguns. It was still no problem for her and for most of the people there. But then the trouble began.

Apparently a number of these individuals decided to go dancing out on the dance floor. And, they decided that it would be better to leave their guns on the table where they were sitting! She did not give me an exact number, but it was more than one man who took his handgun out of its holster, laid it on the table, and proceeded to enjoy himself out on the dance floor with no thought at all as to what might happen with the aforementioned sidearm. While there were no children at this wedding, it is obvious there were at least a few idiots. Leaving a loaded handgun unattended in a setting like this is idiotic. Most likely there were other idiots present. It is only the grace of God (or pure luck for you pagans ) that no one picked one up and proceeded to commit mayhem, intentionally or unintentionally.

Weddings seem to bring out the stupidity in lots of people and this one was no exception. My friend was really put off by what she knew to be irresponsible behavior. I can only imagine what those people who think guns have minds of their own must have thought. But whatever else these guys did, they sure put a big dent in the perception that gun owners are responsible.

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Bad Example

Nothing good could have come from leaving those guns lying around... why is it that common sense is so uncommon? (sigh).

(Allegheny County)

Can’t legislative responsibility, morality or even common sense… knuckle heads like these guys are proof of it, when I carry, I just accept some things I can’t do or I make other arrangements, but leaving unsecured, loaded firearms for anyone to walk by and pick up is just plain asking for trouble.

(Monroe County)

There is no excuse for leaving a firearm out on a table. They knew they where going to a wedding, they knew there was a possibility that they would be dancing at the reception. So they should have either used a more secure holster so it wouldn't fall out or they should have secured them with another wedding goer that was responsible. They all should have been B slapped by your friend.

(York County)

Yeah thats a pretty stupid thing to do with a loaded firearm.

Dave
    3%

(Dauphin County)

WHY... those actions dont even make sense i would never do such a thing and if i was with said people i would of flipped and told then to reholster. I bet they were drinking too...always smart.

(Monroe County)

I was at a wedding on Saturday where I was a groomsmen - I picked up a Smart carry for it and carried all day without issue. This is just irresponsible.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Philadelphia County)

Leaving your loaded firearm unattended in a crowded room in the middle of an event that has alcohol involved....WTF are you thinking?

That is probably one of the most careless, irresponsible acts of stupidity I have ever heard of...I would have been seriously pissed off, if that was my wedding.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Lebanon County)

What an absolute shame. I am sure I would have said something. It's not like me to keep my mouth shut. Your friend is fortunate to have someone like you in her life to properly educate her and show her that not ALL of us who carry are irresponsible like that. Thanks for being a GOOD example to her Bill.

(Beaver County)

I didn't see any mention of drinking, so, while it's probably a safe assumption, it still resolves to "facts not in evidence". Leaving the firearms unattended sounds irresponsible, to me, too, but, I don't know the full circumstances.

Perhaps it was a "responsible adults-only" wedding, and everyone was expected to behave in a responsible manner.

Why would you pick up someone else's firearm, and do something stupid with it? Oh, you wouldn't? Then, why (the heck) do you assume I would?
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast