Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default York Area Regional PD: has anyone discussed OC with them?

Called and spoke with a patrol officer today and asked if he was familiar with OC. He indicated that OC was legal with acknowledged exceptions but insisted that a LTCF invalidates open carry rights. I sent him the clean copy of the MPOETC training on it by e-mail and asked him to validate or invalidate based on his resources.

I used Lildobe's copy, as it seems the training itself is not posted on an MPOETC hosted website. It was a polite conversation, but it seems that the person I spoke with was ill informed about the subject, and sceptical, in general. Will advise as to his reply.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: York Area Regional PD: has anyone discussed OC with them?

Quote Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
    Called and spoke with a patrol officer today and asked if he was familiar with OC. He indicated that OC was legal with acknowledged exceptions but insisted that a LTCF invalidates open carry rights. I sent him the clean copy of the MPOETC training on it by e-mail and asked him to validate or invalidate based on his resources.

I used Lildobe's copy, as it seems the training itself is not posted on an MPOETC hosted website. It was a polite conversation, but it seems that the person I spoke with was ill informed about the subject, and sceptical, in general. Will advise as to his reply.

He really, really needs to get his crap together. He has no idea what he is talking about. The LTCF does NOT "invalidate" anything. It allows you to do something, carry concealed.

(York County)

hopefully he'll read the training as far as the answer to question 1.

...but insisted that a LTCF invalidates open carry rights
    WOW, that is absurd. So he's saying you can OC without a LTCF, but if you do have one you can't OC... that does not even make any sense

(Delaware County)

What actions could one take if they encountered an officer like this on the street while OCing? You could very well be screwed right on the spot. Isn't MPOETC training required for all LEO's?

(York County)

this training is MIST (mandatory in service training), but it may not be budgeted or scheduled for all departments. if you're a policeman, ignorance of the law IS an excuse when your department does not provide the education.

hence my e-mail inquiry to the officer, requesting a reply. if he acknowledges the links and pdf copy i have sent him are valid i will ask him to forward to his department supervisor and training officers. if not, i will send the info to the dept head by registered mail and ask for a reply.

the point is, once they are on record as acknowledging the training, you are sitting on a pile of righteousness if you get anything less, and ignorance is no longer an excuse.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Conglomeration Al View Post
    What actions could one take if they encountered an officer like this on the street while OCing? You could very well be screwed right on the spot.
    This is why I've printed out the OC pages of the MPOTEC training manual and I carry them with me.

if he acknowledges the links and pdf copy i have sent him are valid i will ask him to forward to his department supervisor and training officers. if not, i will send the info to the dept head by registered mail and ask for a reply.
    He better 'acknowledge' that it's valid - that came directly from the PSP though a RTK. If he doubts its authenticity, PM me and I'll provide the RTK request number and contact at the PSP's RTK office

(Bucks County)

this training is MIST (mandatory in service training), but it may not be budgeted or scheduled for all departments. if you're a policeman, ignorance of the law IS an excuse when your department does not provide the education.

hence my e-mail inquiry to the officer, requesting a reply. if he acknowledges the links and pdf copy i have sent him are valid i will ask him to forward to his department supervisor and training officers. if not, i will send the info to the dept head by registered mail and ask for a reply.

the point is, once they are on record as acknowledging the training, you are sitting on a pile of righteousness if you get anything less, and ignorance is no longer an excuse.
    Oooh, oooh , Ooooh,, pick me pick me, can I go first?
    "Ignorance of the law is no defense."
    Show of hands, how many have heard a Judge make that statement? Just because my boss didn't tell me it's illegal, I guess it's ok for me to rob banks on my coffee break?
    Sorry, cops do not get a "pass" from obeying the law just because they are ignorant of the law. In fact, I think they should be held to a higher standard. It is the same as a dentist with yellow teeth- no excuse. Dog trainer with a mutt that pisses on the carpet- no excuse. See?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    This is why I've printed out the OC pages of the MPOTEC training manual and I carry them with me.

He better 'acknowledge' that it's valid - that came directly from the PSP though a RTK. If he doubts its authenticity, PM me and I'll provide the RTK request number and contact at the PSP's RTK office
    i have printed carry copies too, but will be happier when i have an e-mail chain proving that the depts close to me know that we know that they know that they know, no?.

let's face it, cops do not feel safe with anybody other than cops, so they are reluctant to be on equal footing in any "mere encounter". they're human beings, and fail in the ideal of being "above reproach" if their feet are not held to the fire once in awhile. it's not easy being cesear's wife. i'm just trying to get them to agree on the rules before the game begins; to set the record straight before they make a mistake in the line of duty. i'm going to be working on a "one department a month" plan.

(Montgomery County)

He indicated that OC was legal with acknowledged exceptions but insisted that a LTCF invalidates open carry rights.
    Wow, so let me get this straight.

OC is legal.
    But if you get a LTCF, OC is no longer legal?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast