Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default My CC experience with off duty officer. . .

I was CCing at a local bar(name being withheld) while enjoying a few adult cocktails with a friend tonight.
    While standing at the bar, talking to the barkeep, I feel a push (not pull, so no one was trying to pull it) on my firearm grip.

**Note, i am CCing. I have my Glock 23 in my Fobus holster. My thermal shirt was over it, however printing as clear as day.

I grabbed my pistol to secure it in its holster while I turned around and placed my arm up towards the person I first saw behind me.

A short, thin, YOUNG guy was behind me. He had his hands up and smiled. He then introduced himself as an offduty "cop" and went on to show me his Glock holstered on his waist line and ID while he told me he was just messing with me and that I was the first person he noticed carrying a gun in public.

I just asked him what he would do if a guy grabbed his gun while on duty. In which he replyed, "I would shoot him".
    While saying this, his eyes lit up like he just understood what he did and what a bad idea it was.

I told him "exactly".
    He tried to buy me and my friend a drink, to which I declined. In place of that, he told me he would give me a 2010 "get out of jail free" card when he got them. I told him I get one every year, and to keep it.

He seemed to be a good guy. Just not thinking clearly.

Hopefully he smarts up. Due to the holiday season and seemingly innocent mistake, I left it at that. He ment no harm. We chatted about laws and guns and he seemed to be a level headed person. He acted in a "kidding" matter. It's just, "kidding" with strangers is not the best of ideas. . .

(Northampton County)

Default Re: My CC experience with off duty officer. . .

You gotta be Fing me

This poor kid needs a serious wakeup call. By blanket party. For some random douchebag, they can count their blessings and go home to bed. But, for a cop, I'm really concerned for him.
    Last edited by ungawa; November 30th, 2009 at 10:02 PM.

(Delaware County)

Jesus, what an idiot. I'm taking a wild guess that this bar was either in the far northeast or Roxborough? I know a couple Philly cops and they refer to the areas as "coplands" because they have to live in Philly but dont want to, so they congregate there. Apparently some intoxicated gunplay isnt unheard of in these neighborhoods either. Maybe he thought you were "on the job"?? Either way, thats one of the most disturbing things I've heard lately.
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    Jesus, what an idiot. I'm taking a wild guess that this bar was either in the far northeast or Roxborough? I know a couple Philly cops and they refer to the areas as "coplands" because they have to live in Philly but dont want to, so they congregate there. Apparently some intoxicated gunplay isnt unheard of in these neighborhoods either. Maybe he thought you were "on the job"?? Either way, thats one of the most disturbing things I've heard lately.
    Yep. Far north east.

About .4 miles from Bucks county.

(Delaware County)

Ahhhh. (EDIT: bar named removed. Forgot you withheld it. Sorry.)

(Northampton County)

I may actually lose sleep over this kid. He obviously thinks he is somehow shielded from the realities of life. Unfortunately, a gun, badge, vest, jovial attitude, and a drink do not actually do that. I pray his mother never sees him in a box or a cage. Good grief.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I may actually lose sleep over this kid. He obviously thinks he is somehow shielded from the realities of life. Unfortunately, a gun, badge, vest, jovial attitude, and a drink do not actually do that. I pray his mother never sees him in a box or a cage. Good grief.

Unfortunately, especially with the younger guys, the "God Complex" that comes with the gun and badge is only intensified with the booze, and bad bad things can and do happen. Then he wants to make it better by handing out "Get out of jail free" cards? Holy shit.

(Lancaster County)

wtf is a "get out of jail free card" for 2010??? Where might I acquire such a thing? lol

(Lancaster County)

I may be wrong but I received one from my grandfather. It was an honorary Fraternal Order of Police card. It extends all the benefits of the FOP to the holder as long as it is signed by a current or retired officer. He was a Narcotics detective in Philly for the longest time. So He gave us all one. Basically if you hand it off at a traffic stop the cop will probably issue a warning. This is just what I have heard and may not be true. Feel free to do some more research.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by taurusNH View Post
    wtf is a "get out of jail free card" for 2010??? Where might I acquire such a thing? lol
    It sounds like you have to go to this bar and let strangers poke your hornet's nest.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast