Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Thumbs down Police and a search warrant again.

Police shoot, kill pit bull during search warrant in West Palm Beach; man on porch also accidentally struck

By JASON SCHULTZ
    Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

WEST PALM BEACH — Police trying to search a home shot and killed a dog that attacked them and one of the bullets police fired at the dog accidentally wounded a man on the porch, according to police.

The man, whose name was not released by police, was struck in the arm and suffered a non-life threatening injury, said Capt. Pat Maney.

Neighbors, who declined to give their names, said he was a homeless man.

The incident started around 6:40 p.m. when officers from the West Palm Beach Police Department's criminal investigations division and SWAT team tried to enter a home in the 700 block of Fourth Street at the intersection with Sapodilla Street to serve a search warrant, Maney said.

Officers said they encountered a "very large pit bull."

"The pit bull was extremely aggressive," Maney said.

Officers tried to subdue the dog by discharging a fire extinguisher at it, which Maney said is standard police practice and works to subdue about 90 to 95 percent of the aggressive dogs police encounter. This pit bull kept trying to attack officers and four members of the SWAT team had to fire and kill it, Maney said.

The man, who Maney said appeared to be in his 40s, was on the porch and was struck by one of the bullets fired at the dog. Investigators do not know if it was a stray shot or a ricochet of a bullet off the dog's body that struck the man, Maney said.

"It's a very fast-paced chaotic situation," Maney said . He said police Chief Delsa Bush would decide if the four officers would be placed on paid administrative leave during the investigating as if the standard practice in officer-involved shootings.

One neighbor, who declined to give her name, said she had seen the dog if the front yard of the home often climbing a tree even though it was a large pit bull. She described the dog as "no pit bull to play with."

Police blocked off the intersection of Fourth and Sapodilla streets for several blocks in each direction four hours during the investigation.

Maney declined to comment on the original warrant police were serving at the home. He said residents, including children, were home at the time but none of the residents or the officers were injured.

Two men could be seen in handcuffs in the front yard of the home soon after the shooting, but Maney did not know if anybody had been arrested.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localne...bshooting.html
    __________________________________________________ _____________

I guess I am going to get flamed for this post and my comments on this news article.

We civilians who carry firearms for the protection of self and family, are told that we are liable for each and every round that we fire. If a by-stander is hit by one of our bullets we WILL BE held responsible and probably spend some quality vacation time at the "gray-bar motel" along with being sued in civil court for the victim can get.

IMHO LEO's should be held to a higher standard than the "average Joe". So my question is why wasn't this SWAT Team (SWAT Team are considered the best of best, if you believe their PR) relieved of duty on spot after shooting a by-stander.
    What happened to Protect & Serve???

Just think about what would happen to you, if you shot at a dog that was a threat to a family member and accidently hit a by-stander,

oracle
    Last edited by MOUNTAINORACLE; July 2nd, 2009 at 12:54 PM.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Police and a search warrant again.

No no no the SWAT teams need uber macho stories to impress all the other wannabies so they shoot dogs, old women, kids with little impunity (Don't anyone DARE say that SWAT doesn't have bodies on the ground and skeletons in the closet).

For the eleventy billionth time LEO is not a dangerous job. Its RARELY on the top 10 dangerous jobs list and not only that people will give LEO the benefit of the doubt (they do no wrong? Please) under every circumstance.

I respect LEO due to their power to take my liberty, money, and property. Not becuase of some 'calling' they had as a kid.

Watch the TV show SWAT... its a hoot. Half of them couldn't guess the correct firearm if the other choice was 'water pistol'.

Sorry to be so harsh to LEO... it not personal.

(Bucks County)

Uh, discharging a fire extinguisher in an aggressive dogs face is SOP for police? That is the stupidest thing I have heard in a while. Pepper spray, sure, but a fire extinguisher? Uh huh...

(Perry County)

Fire extinguisher is a very common tool used for dog control. If you hit a hunting dog with pepper spray, you will ruin its sense of smell for life. A CO2 fire extinguisher usually sends dogs away in a hurry. A lot of noise and a plume of cold gas scares the hell out of them and doesn't hurt them.

No no no the SWAT teams need uber macho stories to impress all the other wannabies so they shoot dogs, old women, kids with little impunity (Don't anyone DARE say that SWAT doesn't have bodies on the ground and skeletons in the closet).

Your forgot retards and bunnies. We'll just skip the part where they arrest the bad guys. Kinda like those statistics that forget how often guns prevent a crime.

For the eleventy billionth time LEO is not a dangerous job. Its RARELY on the top 10 dangerous jobs list and not only that people will give LEO the benefit of the doubt (they do no wrong? Please) under every circumstance.

Yeah, we got it easy down here at 12 or 13. I don't know why I wear a vest or fasten my seat belt. Every day is good times and sunshine.

I respect LEO due to their power to take my liberty, money, and property. Not becuase of some 'calling' they had as a kid.

That sounds more like fear.

Watch the TV show SWAT... its a hoot. Half of them couldn't guess the correct firearm if the other choice was 'water pistol'.

Sorry to be so harsh to LEO... it not personal.

Obviously it's not personal. Your post is filled with nothing but solid facts clearly supporting your statement.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/08/25/dan...825danger.html

I found this link showing that we made the top ten in '07. Probably somewhat bitter-sweet for you when we make it.

(Monroe County)

Tell ya what... I've seen some very friendly pits... Buddy of mine in Wa has a pit that is the greatest dog you'd ever want to see.

but I took my dog to the vet on Monday and there was a mother and son (black) on the porch with a VERY large pit... this dog was doing everything it could to get away and attack anything that moved, including scratching the shit out of the mom's arm. It had a full face mask on and the kid could barely hold it back. Looked like it easily went 75+ pounds, probably closer to 85 - 100 (based on my lab being about 70 pounds and roughly comparing size)

If I was walking into a house and that dog came at me I wouldn't hesitate to put a full mag into it (I wouldn't stop at 3)

Truth be told when they brought it in I had my lab on the floor behind my legs and my hand was very close to my pistol, that dog scared me, I have no doubt that it wouldn't have attacked any animal in that waiting room if it had the chance.

Pit's get a very bad rap based on how they were raised... unfortunately they are often raised to be very aggressive attack dogs. I have no doubt thats what this dog was raised to be
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lehigh County)

I would venture to guess that discharging a fire extinguisher into the face of a dog would make them even more pissed off.

I know if someone came to my house and shot me in the face with anything other than a water pistol, I would become aggressive too.

I am not saying the dog wasn't aggressive to start with, but it seems like the fire extinguisher only compounded the situation.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Northampton County)

[QUOTE

IMHO LEO's should be held to a higher standard than the "average Joe". So my question is why wasn't this SWAT Team (SWAT Team are considered the best of best, if you believe their PR) relieved of duty on spot after shooting a by-stander.
    What happened to Protect & Serve???

Just think about what would happen to you, if you shot at a dog that was a threat to a family member and accidently hit a by-stander,

oracle[/QUOTE]

F that. I'd be happy if LEOs FBIs and the rest of the alphabet agency's were held to the SAME standard.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    I would venture to guess that discharging a fire extinguisher into the face of a dog would make them even more pissed off.

I know if someone came to my house and shot me in the face with anything other than a water pistol, I would become aggressive too.

I am not saying the dog wasn't aggressive to start with, but it seems like the fire extinguisher only compounded the situation.
    One of our SERT team entry guys carries a fire extinguisher if there is a dog. It works, it scares them away. I didn't believe it either; I thought they were pulling my leg. Most dogs run.