Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping pills?

Default Sleeping pills?

Anyone know of any non-addicting ones that'll knock out an elephant, non perscription? I can't sleep for anything anymore, and I just did a number on my back so I know sleep will be near impossible the next few days. Drugs don't do hardly anything for me, so it would have to be pretty strong (9 IBs, 4 asprin, 3 tylonal did nothing). Don't wanna get stuck with anything though. The OTC stuff at wally world or the like work any good?
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

Default Re: Sleeping pills?

my doc gave me a script for this stuff called trazadone, i guess its non addictive because he didnt want to give me ambien or anything like that since i was needing something for more than 5days(i never can sleep), and he gave me like 6refills. but i cant even take it, 5min after its down the pipe i cant even move, so its back to late night postwhoring...

none the less the shit works, it could just be how i react to it though i guess because if i take even a 1/4 a pill i get knocked out. with my work i cant get knocked out that much I could have to go out at anytime during the night unfortunitly

but before that; i'd take 6+ tylenol PM, that got the job done but i wouldnt recommend it......
    Last edited by XD45; November 7th, 2007 at 05:52 AM.

(Centre County)

I have trouble sleeping fairly frequently and take Diphenhydramine hydrochloride AKA Benadryl. I don't know for sure but I don't think it's habit forming. However, taking it in high doses can cause vivid hallucinations and/or serious medical problems so don't exceed the recommended dose.

(Centre County)

Sounds like you have some other problems (back injury?) which is contributing to your inability to sleep (insomnia?). Taking the amount of meds you listed as taking and citing it to be ineffective is A. dangerous and B. Not necessary. I would recommend getting in and seeing your PCP as soon as you can. It sounds like there are larger things going on with your body and possibly your personal life. Sure Tylenol PM (APAP/Diphenhydramine) will work for short term a couple of times but you don't want to consistently being taking Tylenol day in and day out... it can fuck your liver up pretty good! Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is another OTC that can work will but it depends largely on the individual and as previously states is VERY dangerous in large doses (took care of 2 different OD this past week as a result of this... it's bad juju).

The trazodone that XD45 speaks of is a double edged sword because it does work but it knocks you on your ass. Trazodone is labeled as an anti depressant (Serotonin modulator) but has other uses. I've seen quite a few elderly in nursing facilities who are prescribed this for the purpose of sleeping. I've also had an X girlfriend who was on it for the labeled purpose and it did indeed knock her on her ass at first but once reaching a therapeutic level in her blood that effect was less noticed.

Get in and see your PCP. Get what ever physical/mental aliments alleviated and back to life as it was.

Josh

oh! I forgot to add that I do know exactly what it's like to be not be able to sleep, I work night shift and too have problems at times.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ithinkimamedic View Post
    The trazodone that XD45 speaks of is a double edged sword because it does work but it knocks you on your ass. Trazodone is labeled as an anti depressant (Serotonin modulator) but has other uses. I've seen quite a few elderly in nursing facilities who are prescribed this for the purpose of sleeping. I've also had an X girlfriend who was on it for the labeled purpose and it did indeed knock her on her ass at first but once reaching a therapeutic level in her blood that effect was less noticed.

i couldn't imagine taking that crap and trying to function, holy hell... i get an almost pissed off feeling on it, the only thing i care about it bed and nothing will stop me i'll leave the TV, and all the lights on and just got to bed after i take it, i mean it nails me to the floor.. lol like i said, i can't even take it.

(Delaware County)

Occasionally I get a late evening headache and I take a couple Tylenol PM type (a generic version) caplets that work fine for me.

(Allegheny County)

Well, where do I start. First, the sleep thing. Most over the counter sleep aids (if not all) will put you to sleep, and sometimes keep you asleep. However, they are "physically acting" meaning that even though you are sleeping, your body is NOT resting. You will still wake up groggy, tired etc as if you had not slept at all. There are several herbal things that might help, like camomile tea and such, but unless you are really sensitive to medication (which you aren't), you'd be wasting your time.

Now, let's step up to prescriptions. There are a couple of descent ones like Ambien, and Lunesta...but again, they will put you to sleep for a period of time (usually 6 hours), but you will most likely still wake up and not feel rested.

Then as mentioned above, there is Trazodone. This drug is very commonly used today for a sleep aid, I take 1 50mg tablet at night. The mention above of it being used as an anti-depressant is in reference to it being used back in the 70's and 80's, and part of the 90's. However, in an anti-depressant application the dose would be more up around 700 / 800 mg. So, if you are only taking it at 50 mg, it really is not enough to modify your seratonin levels. Trazodone works well for sleep, because you not only get to sleep fast, you pretty much stay asleep (although I wake up during the night sometimes to take a leak), and why this drug works well is because it also tends to act as a muscle relaxer, and above all....it helps you to mentally rest. I too have back problems, and had one back surgury this past summer.

About 2 years ago I was TDY to a very high stress location for my company. After about 3 months a was having problems falling to sleep and many nights after getting to sleep would wake up at 0400 and could not return to sleep. This only made things worse at the office. Went to my MD and we talked about it. He prescribed Lorazapam. I don't remember the dosage but the pills were pretty small in size but they did the job. The doctor knew that it was a short term assignment and I would only be taking them for about 6 months. They really did the job. I never took one unless I was ready to jump in the sac so I cannot tell you what effect they would have had otherwise. http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/loraz_ids.htm .

Like Bill said about the PM products they work well for me. If I am overdoing it outside working in the yard or something strenuous, I take one or two before bed.. The Tylenol or Advil takes the edge off the sore and the PM part works with it to help you get to sleep.

Never had any type of 'hangover' from any of the above.
    Last edited by Boomer; November 7th, 2007 at 04:41 PM.

IN DOG WE TRUST
    OBEY THE YELLOW LAB

(Allegheny County)

The MIL had surgery and was always in pain. She took Lorazapam for a while and I have to say it worked very well.

Might want to look into that JSB...

Alright, I made a doc appt. for the 14th, I'll ask about trazodone and Lorazapam. I've tried Benadryl, that never worked. Picked up some OTC Excedrin PM for the time being, hoping that'll make me pass out a bit easier. Thanks for your advice guys!
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast