Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Spector to oppose Thune / Vitter

Well, it looks like Specter has decided to go against the Thune / Vitter amendment.

From his website:

Specter to Oppose Thune Amendment

Washington, D.C.
    Tuesday, July 21, 2009 -

U.S. Senator Arlen Specter (D-Pa.) today issued the following statement regarding Senator John Thune’s (R-S.D.) amendment to the Defense Authorization Act (S. 1390) that would provide for reciprocity of permits and licenses to carry a concealed firearm for individuals traveling across state lines.

“From my own experience growing up in Kansas and being District Attorney of Philadelphia, I know states need to prescribe their own rules for carrying a concealed deadly weapon. This is the essence of federalism. My vote against the Thune Amendment will not limit the constitutional rights of hunters and gun owners. Pennsylvania already recognizes concealed carry permits from 24 other states where their laws are similar.”

Even though I have some concerns about federal influence, I still think that this would be step in the right direction. Suffice it to say that I don't think much of either Senator Specter or Sen. Casey.
    Last edited by urbanamish99; July 22nd, 2009 at 11:06 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Spector to oppose Thune / Vitter

Already posted.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Lancaster County)

A sad turn, but what can you expect from someone willing to change party affiliations saying...

I’m not prepared to have my 29-year record in the United States Senate decided by the Pennsylvania Republican primary electorate, not prepared to have that record decided by that jury
    Even he is ashamed of his record.
    It's also much better to be an evicted survivor than an obedient corpse. -GunLawyer001

(Philadelphia County)

I'm also pretty worried about giving the federal government the right to regulate carry. Also, I think the talk of "what shall I carry in New Jersey?" is hopelessly naive. If this passes, I expect we'll see some changes in state laws in the short / medium term:

- It will become illegal to hold multiple CCW permits, just like for DLs. No more "backup" Florida or Utah permits.

- States will coordinate to yank your home CCW permit if you contravene another state's carry laws. I guess this is not so bad because breaking the law is a bad thing, but states have some pretty weird carry laws (check out Georgia for example)

- States that have highly restrictive CCW laws will go Wisconsin and just not issue permits. This will suck for CA residents who live in liberal (using the old definition) counties. Discretionary CCW laws are IMO the number one thing for gun rights groups to target. Defending NO CCW is easier, I think, than defending an arbitrary system of issuing permits to the rich and powerful.

- There will be political pressure to "harmonize" state laws, both from the federal .gov and from other states.
    Last edited by Philbert; July 22nd, 2009 at 11:23 AM.

(Cambria County)

I find it amazing that he doesn't want the Federal Government telling States what to do, when they do it all the time.

I find it amazing that all the other Amendments of the Constitution, are OK for every state to agree on and enforce the same way, and it is enforced by the Federal Government, but the 2nd Amendment has to be controled on a State Level and they don't want the Federal Government getting involved. That's just a cope out answer.

I wrote and told him this too. And will remember it.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Chester County)

Yet another reason, I will oppose HIM!

If that loser/spector cared at all about "federalisam" as he says, he would OPPOSE 99% of what Obama is doing. Not including watching the super bowl together. He has become a turn coat to our founding ideals! If He gets re- elected -I'm moving to an island somewhere!COME ON PEOPLE- PLEASE DONT VOTE FOR HIM=- I really dont have enough money for an island!!!!!!!!!!

(Lebanon County)

the odd thing, his email address which I used just two short weeks ago, no longer works.

Quote Originally Posted by theshadow View Post
    the odd thing, his email address which I used just two short weeks ago, no longer works.
    They know what's coming that's why it's not working. And for the other poster they want federalism when it's good for them, if not, as in this case....well you see the results. Rep. brought that point up over and over again.
    You guys work on your a-holes over there, I'll work on our a-holes over here. These Senators need to be shown the door! Man they make me sick.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Well if the fed's having a hand in gun issues is so against states rights, then we need to get rid of ALL federal gun laws, and disband the ATF. Would these same babblemouthed libtards agree to this if "we" dropped the fed ccw bill?

Fed gun laws:
    1930's law
    1968 GCA
    Reagan's machine gun import ban law
    Brady Bill

if there are more, please add them
    LOL, I am a woman...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast