Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: laws

(Monroe County)

Question laws

i was thinking about getting a gun for the first time just for protection of my home. But then i found out that i can not purchase a gun because i had a felony record about 25 years ago. i am no longer that kid that got into trouble i own my own home don't drink don't even smoke anymore. i feel i've been a good citizen . by the way the charges had nothing to do with violenece. is there anyone i can contact to find out if there is a way for me to purchase and own a firearm or can i own any weopon to protect my home and family or am i just out of luck.

thanks very much for any help

(Bucks County)

Default Re: laws

You're out of luck. Bad decisions have consequences.

Unless you have lots of money and friends in high places you're prohibited. Only something like a pardon from the governor will get that off your record.

There are ways of you being able to be around guns but those methods are illegal as well.

Sorry.
    Divided we ever have been, and ever must be.Two thirds always had and will have more difficulty to struggle with the one third than with all our foreign enemies. - John Adams

(Centre County)

About the only way I can think of would be to contact a lawyer to see if you could get a pardon (even though it is far in the past) and get your record expunged. Your clean record ever since may help. Then you would be free to purchase.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Beaver County)

It's not a matter of luck. It's a matter of bad decisions and unConstitutional law. Save up a couple million dollars, and take it to the Supreme Court. We'd really appreciate your sacrifice!
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    About the only way I can think of would be to contact a lawyer to see if you could get a pardon (even though it is far in the past) and get your record expunged. Your clean record ever since may help. Then you would be free to purchase.
    ^^^^ This ^^^^ It won't likely be easy, and it definitely won't be cheap, but if its something you believe in then it may very well be worth it for you to try. Let us know what you decide to do and if you go for it, keep us updated.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

I've had some success in obtaining pardons for clients. You have to get the pardon from the governor of the state where the conviction occurred, and if it's a Federal conviction then it would have to be from the President. It's much harder to get a Presidential pardon than a Governor's pardon.

There's one other possibility, for certain old convictions (mostly pre-1975) where the law has been changed since the conviction. Some of the older offenses were graded higher back then, so the same crime today wouldn't be a prohibitor. There's a PA statute that authorizes relief from the disability in that case. It requires some research.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    It's much harder to get a Presidential pardon than a Governor's pardon.
    Ha! You couldn't tell it by the train of fools that passes by every departing president's signature desk!
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by alias46 View Post
    i was thinking about getting a gun for the first time just for protection of my home. But then i found out that i can not purchase a gun because i had a felony record about 25 years ago. i am no longer that kid that got into trouble i own my own home don't drink don't even smoke anymore. i feel i've been a good citizen . by the way the charges had nothing to do with violenece. is there anyone i can contact to find out if there is a way for me to purchase and own a firearm or can i own any weopon to protect my home and family or am i just out of luck.

thanks very much for any help
    it is not too hard to get your record exponged nor too expensive.PA law on this might be different but usually it can be had with a good history and ~1k

(Lancaster County)

And if all fails, an unconstitutional law should not way too heavily on your conscience...
    Semper Fi