Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default FFL sold Firearm Transfer claimed "abandoned properrty"

So I was at my LGS today and this guy was there bitching about a different shop that sold a firearm he won off gunbroker and hand transferred in because it took him over 6 months to come get it. He said they claimed that it was abandoned property and they sold it because it abandoned. He also said they claimed they called 3 times and sent a registered letter. All of which he claims never happened.

My question is if that is even legal. I have never done business with the ffl he mentioned because they seem kind of shady to me but I am not sure if just selling this guys transfer is even legal. 'i know someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in.

Default Re: FFL sold Firearm Transfer claimed "abandoned properrty"

Cant answer whether it's legal or not but if your going to have a firearm shipped to a FFL and expect him to hold it for 6 months for you and he isn't your brother, cousin, or best friend then in my opinion all bets are off. The buyer sounds like he is more to blame then anyone else and needs to learn how to handle his personal business.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    Cant answer whether it's legal or not but if your going to have a firearm shipped to a FFL and expect him to hold it for 6 months for you and he isn't your brother, cousin, or best friend then in my opinion all bets are off. The buyer sounds like he is more to blame then anyone else and needs to learn how to handle his personal business.
    Agreed,and here this guy is at another shop openly complaining about something that he should be embarrassed to even admit.

(Lancaster County)

How many phone calls did the guy make to the gun shop asking where his firearm was before it was sold?

ETA: I used to work in a retail store years ago, we would regularly take in items for repair from customers and regularly people wouldn't come back in to pick them up regardless of phone calls telling them it was ready. We waited about 6 to 8 months before we sold the stuff for whatever the repair cost.
    Last edited by streaker69; July 16th, 2015 at 06:34 PM.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    How many phone calls did the guy make to the gun shop asking where his firearm was before it was sold?

ETA: I used to work in a retail store years ago, we would regularly take in items for repair from customers and regularly people wouldn't come back in to pick them up regardless of phone calls telling them it was ready. We waited about 6 to 8 months before we sold the stuff for whatever the repair cost.

Answer=0
    Now if the FFL had a weekly/monthly fee for shipped in transfers I bet he would have had his ass down there much sooner.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

Sounds like we worked in the same store.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodgie View Post
    I agree with you there. Not saying he shouldn't have gotten his crap in order sooner but I do understand that things happen. If you were hospitalized for 4 months I would be rather upset to find out my gun was sold while I was in the hospital.

(Jefferson County)

6 months to pick up his goods? ....pffft, I dont feel sorry for him.

There is an abandoned property process, and if I remember correctly - 6 months was more than long enough to surpass the required time frame.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess it was a slightly used Hi point C9.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    Sounds like we worked in the same store.
    Are you a short balding weaselly faced guy named Larry?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast