Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Seeking advice: Preparing to sell inherited firearms

Nearly 10 years ago I inherited a medium collection of firearms when my father passed. You can see the guns, along with some knives, here: https://i.imgur.com/ao0Uq.jpg Do not worry, they are kept in a safe, not on the floor that way.

Now I'm 22. It is difficult parting with my father's things but I'm comfortable with the idea of selling some of these. . I'm looking for some advice on how to have a successful sale.

Thus far I have used sites like GunBroker to determine approximate market price. I will check the Classifieds archive here for a better guess. I understand the law in PA for the sale (no paperwork and in person for the rifles, need an FFL for the handguns). I'm planning on posting to the classifieds here. I can sell in the Berks County area (where the collection is stored now) or in the Pittsburgh area where I live now.

At the moment I am most interested in selling the Winchester 94 and 9422 xtr (4th and 7th in the top row in the photo). The 9422 is in great condition. Would selling the two as a pair be beneficial? Should I leave the scope on? Should I be carefully cleaning and oiling them before the sale or is that not necessary? How quickly does price drop off with condition? Any common mistakes that someone in my situation might be able to avoid?

If this belongs in a different place I apologize. Thank you for taking the time to read.

(Warren County)

Default Re: Seeking advice: Preparing to sell inherited firearms

The prices listed here on PAFOA are ASKING prices only.
    We have no knowledge of actual sale prices.

Selling two at a time is usually a minus for the seller.
    What are the odds a buyer wants those exact two guns? Poor.

Scopes tend to depreciate in re-sale value pretty quick.
    Leaving it on and sighted in is a plus in my book.

Yes clean and oil them.

Or you can keep and shoot them?
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Berks County)

Please don't take this wrong, at 22 you have no idea what this will mean to you later in life, selling these guns of your father's. The money you get today will go poof. Then you will be left with he memmory. The longer time goes by the more you will regret. Not being able to teach your child how to shoot grand dad's 22 or hunt with his 30-30. You will see prices on some of them when your 40 and think about how you "gave them away". When your children have children, the knife in your heart will twist harder. You must have been 12 when your father passed, know some of these things he wanted to do with you, but life has that way of not caring about a man's plans or a family's desires. Some of those guns and knives are great, some not so much, but every one of them was his. And you can not get that back. Money will come and go. I assure you of that. Just as needs and wants wash over a man like the waves on the beach. Those items are a nail through time that peg a man to a place in this world. As you tell your child, unthought of today, about that man you had only half a chance to know, they will hold that symbol of freemen everywhere. And they will know that they came from a free man. Just as I know, holding my granfather's gun, where it is that I came from.

Gunsnwater is right. Unless selling these is the difference between starving and another month of groceries, hold on to the guns. I have firearmsfrom my father-in-law, my grandfather, wife's uncle, my uncle, and a few others. If I were to sell them I would make a few thousand. Then I would pay off a bill or buy something and both the guns and memories would be gone. In the event of my death I have very detailed documentation showing the source of each gun and who it should go to in my family. I could not imagine selling my grandfather's rifle and denying my cousin the opportunity to some day own it.

If you have no interest in the guns, talk to your family. Do you have brothers, cousins, uncles that would appreciate them? You may even still be able to sell them within the family but do give the family the first opportunity.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    Please don't take this wrong, at 22 you have no idea what this will mean to you later in life...
    Amen! I was lucky enough to get a S&W my Dad had during WII - had plenty of opportunities to sell it - but didn't. Today it is one of my most prized possessions and always brings back fond memories of my Dad. In_Hairy_Tents - I am sure you have your reasons to sell - if you can - try to keep a few - later in life you will happy for the decision.
    "A free people ought to be armed." - George Washington (January 17th, 1790)
    Criminals obey "gun control" laws in the same manner politicians follow their oaths of office!
    ..: TO SERVE AND PROTECT! Positive Stories :..

Never sell family firearms. Once they are gone you will never get them back and you will kick yourself over and over again for selling them. In the future we may not be able to buy guns. So if you don't have any you will not be able to get any. Yes my tinfoil hat is on tonight.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.