Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big boy pants

(Lancaster County)

Default Big boy pants

I'm kinda low on cash. Well, for my comfort level anyway. Work is good and I've been hitting it hard. After all the weekends, no days off and late nights( left the jobsite at 11pm Monday ) I want something.
    I found a great deal on a 1911. The responsible thing to do is pass. But I really waaant it!

What do others do in similar situations? Pass on a good deal and regret it or buy and feel guilty for whatever reason?

I always have a hard time buying for myself. I have had practical seared into my bones.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Big boy pants

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    I'm kinda low on cash. Well, for my comfort level anyway. Work is good and I've been hitting it hard. After all the weekends, no days off and late nights( left the jobsite at 11pm Monday ) I want something.
    I found a great deal on a 1911. The responsible thing to do is pass. But I really waaant it!

What do others do in similar situations? Pass on a good deal and regret it or buy and feel guilty for whatever reason?

I always have a hard time buying for myself. I have had practical seared into my bones.
    Which regret is worse passing on the deal or having something happen that you cannot afford due to the expenditure on the gun? Who relies on you aside from yourself? Can you let them down?
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Jefferson County)

There will always be another 1911 around the corner. Every company seems to make them(like the AR's)..

Do the right thing for yourself and wait until you're fiscally sound.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Gotta play devil's advocate here... is it a good deal you can't get any other time?

Is this work habit consistent? Or is it just a spurt of hard work?

Do you feel like you work too much and get nothing out of it?

I worked 19 days straight, on the road, didn't see home in that time... all the OT I collected mostly went towards student loan debt, but I got a new toy too.

Every time I shoot that gun, I think to myself, I need to find another 19 day on the road gig and collect the OT!
    Your neighborhood friendly candyman, Tim

(Lancaster County)

I'm not hard up for cash or getting by. I'm kind of like Depression Era people in that enough is never enough and "what if"?

The work is finally there for the taking and for the foreseeable future. I have no problem buying tools for the job or preventive measures for my vehicle.

It's the fun, impractical, unnecessary things I always talk myself out of. I used to have a decent collection of guns but when first married they were the first to go in a pinch. Now I have a few that I purchased in the first year after the divorce lol

The reason I posted is because I'm not one to find "deals".. Every used Glock I come across is 450-500+, ARs are upwards of 900 and yet I read here that guys wouldn't pay more than 350 or 700.

I'll keep checking in and think about it today. I'm leaning towards passing just because it's more of the excitement of finding it

(Chester County)

I'm with Knight here--wait on it.

There are literally millions of 1911s out there. Take your time. If you still want it when things are a little better, it (or someone else's) will still be there waiting for that itchy finger.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Schuylkill County)

If you have sufficient funds to cover an emergency, and this is a gun you really want, I'd buy it. Only you can decide how much money you feel is enough for emergency reserves.

Personally, when I come into more cash than is typical for me, I try to ration some for savings, some for investment, and some for fun. It always feels good to reward yourself for your hard work.

If there something you own that you could part with to get this?

Have to put the home and family responsibilities first. I know the feeling of not buying a lot for myself after taking care of them.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    There will always be another 1911 around the corner. Every company seems to make them(like the AR's)..

Do the right thing for yourself and wait until you're fiscally sound.
    This in spades. Get to the point where you are no longer short on cash and then save for another six months to be even safer. And then start saving for toys.

Trust me that life never gives warning when things go south.

(Lackawanna County)

They are called Ramen noodles. You won't die if you live on them for a few weeks.
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast