Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Blair County)

Default Federal 9BPLE +P+ from .40 to 9mm

I recently switched from a Glock 23 to a Glock 19 for my EDC. I saw a guy on youtube chrono Federal 9BPLE out of a Glock 19 and it was consistently around 1310 fps...pretty impressive out of a 4" barrel if you ask me. Especially since I can still find this stuff online for $20 a box or less for 50 rounds. I've used this in my Beretta 92A1 for a few years and have always liked it as a potential 9mm carry round. I've also heard a lot of positive things about it's long and successful track record with the Illinois State Police...but apparently they switched to .40 S&W and that is the round they currently use.

I made the switch to 9mm because for me the recoil is more manageable. Not that .40 isn't manageable...I feel like I can shoot faster with the same accuracy.
    Extra mag capacity is not a bad thing.
    9mm is cheaper...I've been dry firing every day and trying to get to the range once a week...cheaper ammo is never a bad thing!
    I don't run the 9BPLE at the range other than once in a great while...so wear and tear on the gun doesn't bother me.
    I can't really say the +p+ recoil feels much different at all from the regular 9mm plinking loads...I am also running a 19lb lone wolf non captured rod and spring.

Anyone else have any experience with 9BPLE? Love it? Hate it? I know it's not a super performer in the gelatin testing...but it seems to have a reputation for succeeding in real life shootings. Which personally I find to be the more important factor anyway.

Anyone else switch from x caliber to 9mm? I went with the .40 S&W when I started carrying because I bought into all the .45 vs 9mm BS and figured .40 was a good compromise between the two...but after a lot of research and range time...I feel 9mm...especially with modern defensive loads...is totally up to the task.

Oh and in those ballistic force calculators...the 9BPLE actually had 50 more ftlbs of force or so than my 180 .40 S&W carry load...
    Last edited by F16vipers; August 20th, 2015 at 10:46 PM.
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Default Re: Federal 9BPLE +P+ from .40 to 9mm

OK..... So congradulations, your Federal 9BPLE is now pushing close to but not as fast as a 357sig round.

Those pressures will beat up the lighter 9mm handgun(according to Glock). These rounds can be hard to find. I got tired of buying the 9mm "special federal over runs" or "Gov't only overstock-may never be available again" loads. Wake up one day and there "available but in short supply" at a price approaching 357sig.

So, I bought a 357sig Glock and I can buy any box of that ammo and it will be hot hot hot!! Yes, I pay a little more, but I don't have to be alert for special hot loads that will abuse a 9mm.

I applaud your decision to go 9mm because handguns are a poor choice to do gunfighting with anyway. I really believe there is no practice difference between handgun rounds. I just like fast rounds and accuracy. 357 sig gives me that.

Get a 357sig, buy a conversion barrel if money is an issue and shoot shoot shoot!!!
    With great power comes great responsibility....

(Montgomery County)

For what it's worth, Mas Ayoob is a fan of Federal 9BPLE. Though he does recommend more modern 124gr+P rounds in 9mm above it.

I'd feel comfortable with that round if it works well with your pistols and you hit with it.

(Montgomery County)

I run 115 gran Hornadys in my 43, and they are what I'd run in any other 9 that I would decide to carry. Available everywhere, quality, expands reliably.

My fuller size Glocks are mostly .40s, I'm sticking with .40 in the double stacks for now at least, but I do have a 17 I can press into service at any time though.

.357 sig is to me mostly irrelevant with +p+ 9mm being available, but I do still plan on getting a barrel for my 23 at some point, nothing wrong with options.

(Blair County)

.357 sig still has a bit of an edge over 9mm+p...but like you said handguns suck no matter how you slice the pie so I figured I would go with high capacity and affordability...I haven't had any issue finding the 9bple within the past year. Luckygunner always seems to have it in stock.
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."