Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Driving to Va.

(Monroe County)

Default Driving to Va.

I'm going to be driving down to Richmond, Va. soon,and I wanted to know if it would be legal for me to go through Delaware and Maryland with my carry gun. I know that those states don't have reciprocity with Pa., but could I drive through with the gun packed in the trunk? Has anyone done this, or know if it can be done legally?
    All I want is Food and Creative Love.
    I worship the SWEET GODDESS of Love and BEER.
    When I do good I feel good, when I do bad I feel bad that is my Religion.

(York County)

Default Re: Driving to Va.

I'm answering from from phone so I have no citations for you, but yes, we do have reciprocity with Virginia.

No reciprocity with Maryland though, so you will want to transport in accordance with F.O.P.A. Unload gun, unload mags, everything in trunk, you know, like that.

Virginia is a lot like Pennsylvania. If you have time, sign up at OpenCarry.org and ask your question there too. It is a Virginia based forum and there are many good folks there.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Philadelphia County)

Please Note: The poster was issued an infraction for this post.

i had to go through DE and MD when i went to N.C. i kept my carry gun on me. As long as you don't get out of your car and walk around (walk into gas stations, stores, etc.) you will be fine. as long as your just passing through without stopping you have no problem.

Just a note people... dont advocate illegal activity here.. in most places, carry without a license/permit is a FELONY. ~ Staff

this post has earned the poster an infraction for :Illegal activity : Willful and Moderate
    Last edited by JayBell; October 23rd, 2011 at 05:44 PM.
    You r one dumb son of a b!tch, bringina knifetoa gunfight

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 9_shooter21 View Post
    i had to go through DE and MD when i went to N.C. i kept my carry gun on me. As long as you don't get out of your car and walk around (walk into gas stations, stores, etc.) you will be fine. as long as your just passing through without stopping you have no problem.
    Are you kidding?????

You may have a permit AZ, FL, UT etc that will cover you in DE, but you do NOT have one that will cover you in MD...doesn't matter if you are not stopping. Going thru MD it MUST be unloaded and placed out of reach. Whether locked in trunk or a case.

§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Yes. Getting caught carrying a firearm without a carry permit in and from New Jersey will get a person 5+ years in prison. One felony is bad enough, but states like New Jersey make all firearm infractions felonies, and some days they just love to throw as many charges at a person to see what sticks. I will assume that Maryland and Delaware have statues with similar consequences. It is common for people to think that they won't be pulled over and furthermore, to think that they can always refuse a search of their person and vehicle.

Play it safe!
    ...and they have a plan...

Delaware is in many ways more permissive than PA when it comes to firearms (e.g., we can buy and sell all types of firearms including handguns FTF). About the only thing we can't have is most types of NFA weapons (not that it would do us much good, seeing the size of the state).

Open carry is legal in DE and much more permissive than in PA (see Delaware Open Carry at deloc.org for more on this). For example, there aren't any restrictions on vehicular travel while open carrying other than you can't have it on your person while in the vehicle. Provided you are truly in the open, you don't need a permit to carry.

Even MD is not as bad as NJ. Just make sure it's packed in the trunk and unloaded and your firearm isn't on MD's list of banned guns, and you should be fine.

(Monroe County)

Thanks Guys, Knowing this does make me feel better now. So in Delaware and Maryland I'll pack the gun in the trunk,and keep it apart form the ammo.
    All I want is Food and Creative Love.
    I worship the SWEET GODDESS of Love and BEER.
    When I do good I feel good, when I do bad I feel bad that is my Religion.

Quote Originally Posted by GREYBEAR View Post
    Thanks Guys, Knowing this does make me feel better now. So in Delaware and Maryland I'll pack the gun in the trunk,and keep it apart form the ammo.
    If you have any specific questions about Richmond, shoot me a pm. I'm here.

Angry Re: Driving to Va.

Quote Originally Posted by 9_shooter21 View Post
    I'm speechless.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GREYBEAR View Post
    Separate from the ammo is not required.