Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Clinton County)

Default M91 Carcano scope mount?

I cleaned up an old ww2 m91 carcano my dad gave me and it works great. I would love to mount a scope but I'm not sure what I'd be getting into. Anyone ever done it?

(Berks County)

Default Re: M91 Carcano scope mount?

You might try this one, side mounted.

Supposedly this is a replica of the Japanese scope mount that Lee Harvey Oswald used on his Carcano 6.5 mm M91/38. Some modifications to the stock and to the mount itself may be required, and you might have to rotate the scope by 90 degrees in order to get the clip to drop in (windage becomes elevation and vice-versa).

If your Carcano is in really good shape you might want to hold off on the scope. Carcanos tend to be worth more with iron sights in unaltered condition. Enjoy the thing, it's a kickass rifle. I'd get one myself if I had the dough.
    These are the exalted gharāniq, whose intercession is hoped for. LMAO

(Lycoming County)

You can use the mount for a Savage 340 or I have also seen guys use the weaver flip to the side mounts and put it on so both rings are in front of the adjustment. They make great deer rifles.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by kunsunoke View Post
    You might try this one, side mounted.

Supposedly this is a replica of the Japanese scope mount that Lee Harvey Oswald used on his Carcano 6.5 mm M91/38. Some modifications to the stock and to the mount itself may be required, and you might have to rotate the scope by 90 degrees in order to get the clip to drop in (windage becomes elevation and vice-versa).

If your Carcano is in really good shape you might want to hold off on the scope. Carcanos tend to be worth more with iron sights in unaltered condition. Enjoy the thing, it's a kickass rifle. I'd get one myself if I had the dough.
    From what I have found they aren't worth that much. My dad got this from a guy who fought in WW2. I am guessing he got it off of a dead blackshirt. It has a circular stamp on the butt which I am assuming is the symbol for whatever division the person that used it fought for. It also has the name of someone carved into the butt.

My dad had it appraised and the guy he talked to said it wasn't worth much. I was just going to turn it into a hunting rifle...maybe I shouldn't?
    Last edited by t1m0thy; October 10th, 2009 at 01:42 PM.