Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default awareness of your strong side.

How aware are you of your strong side when carrying, especially carrying openly? The reason I ask is that I've had two situations lately where I noticed what I judged to be significant unawareness of where a firearm was and potential access to others. The most significant was a constable providing security at an event. He sat at a table with his strong side towards the crowd and people able to approach from front and rear. He could easily have say in the other side of the table and used it to help block access. Is this something that's s problem or an I over thinking it?

(Washington County)

Default Re: awareness of your strong side.

I don't think you are over thinking it. I guess some people get complacent or just unaware.
    FOAC Member, NRA Member

(Lycoming County)

When I'm OCing I am definitely very aware of who, what is on my strong side. I feel it is part of having good SI. I don't think it is over thinking things. It is one of the reasons I don't like to OC places where I'm going to be in a large crowd of people. If I'm concealed it is still in my mind, but I don't actively try and shield my strong side as much.

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by M&P Chris View Post
    I don't think you are over thinking it. I guess some people get complacent or just unaware.
    ^^^This^^^

Same reason we see people who should know better have ND's. Complacency can be a very bad thing.

(Lancaster County)

He's a constable, who would dare mess with him?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

Streaker beat me to it, but this guy must have felt like no one would dare mess with him. I try to always keep my strong side at a comfortable distance from others. Some times even my wife gets too close and I'll ask her to walk on my weak side. If we are in a crowded spot, I might ask her to walk on my strong side as a buffer. It depends on the place and crowd size.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by nater99 View Post
    How aware are you of your strong side when carrying, especially carrying openly? The reason I ask is that I've had two situations lately where I noticed what I judged to be significant unawareness of where a firearm was and potential access to others. The most significant was a constable providing security at an event. He sat at a table with his strong side towards the crowd and people able to approach from front and rear. He could easily have say in the other side of the table and used it to help block access. Is this something that's s problem or an I over thinking it?
    How do you know he wasn't sitting there for a reason, such as watching an entrance or keeping an eye on someone he considered suspicious? You might not havr all of the facts. And what kind of a holster was he wearing?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    How do you know he wasn't sitting there for a reason, such as watching an entrance or keeping an eye on someone he considered suspicious? You might not havr all of the facts. And what kind of a holster was he wearing?
    I don't know exactly what he was doing. My guess would be just scanning the crowd. I do know that he could have moved to the other side of the table and it would have had no effect on his view of the room as it was a large, open space free of obstructions. The holster appeared to be some sort of retention holster, but I'm not sure what kind.

(Mercer County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    He's a constable, who would dare mess with him?
    When the eye of the constable is upon you, every wrong you do he's gonna see. So when you're in PA look behind you, 'cause that's where the constable's gonna be.
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill67 View Post
    Streaker beat me to it, but this guy must have felt like no one would dare mess with him. I try to always keep my strong side at a comfortable distance from others. Some times even my wife gets too close and I'll ask her to walk on my weak side. If we are in a crowded spot, I might ask her to walk on my strong side as a buffer. It depends on the place and crowd size.
    I didn't get the impression he had that kind of hard attitude. At other times he was talking with people and seemed like a nice guy. He simply seemed unaware.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast