Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Moving to NJ Question

I have a friend who is relocating from PA to NJ and owns several handguns all of which are legal to posses and own in PA and NJ.

I was reviewing the state law and it appears that he does not need to get a permit for possession in NJ as long as the guns weren't purchased in NJ and he doesn't carry them outside of any of the exceptions built into law. One of those exceptions is if you limit possession to your house and surrounding property, which he is planning on doing.

Can someone out there with some experience verify if this is correct?

Thanks.

Default Re: Moving to NJ Question

He should get a NJ FID card which he will need to buy log guns. There is no registration of firerams involved with getting a FID card. There is no need to register any guns he owned before moving to NJ.

See NJSP.org for your other answers.

(Chester County)

2C:39-5. Unlawful possession of weapons.
    b.Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun, without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person. Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.

2C:39-6 Exemptions.

e.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.
    You should be OK as long as you remain within the exemption shown above.

IANAL

(Pike County)

Also for me, IANAL, just a PRNJ escapee.
    Should be ok.
    Just remember that NJ also has a mag limit, no more than 15, so if one of the guns was a Glock 17 for example, the 17 rd. mags are a nono. A Glock 17 is ok, not what NJ calls "high cap" mags.
    Give your friend my sympathies, and if you are truly a friend tie him up and don't let him go.

BTW, welcome to the forum!
    Last edited by gf45acp; February 17th, 2009 at 07:52 PM. Reason: add: welcome

(Venango County)

I'm at work so can not do extensive google foo.

But, is there also not, at least in my opinion, 'extreme' ammo limitations?

Be careful what ammo he takes with him. I believe no hollow points. There may be others.

ETA= Read this short 2 page thread that also has a link...

NJ AMMO Thread link
    Last edited by TaePo; February 18th, 2009 at 12:50 PM.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch