Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Clearfield County)

Default Firearm "Bucket List"

Well, I'm down to my final four items on my firearm bucket list. Of course, when I wrap this one up, I'll come up with another one.

I'm thinking about a medium to large framed double action revolver in .357 Magnum, six inch barrel, preferably stainless. (I have a variety of semi-automatic pistols and a Ruger 44 Magnum Super Redhawk)

I know that Open Carry is legal in Pennsylvania, and I don't think I would ever find a circumstance where I would choose that over Concealed Carry, but just in case I do, I want to be ready. Or at least that's the excuse I'm using to justify it.

Any recommendations on Make, Model or even Caliber other than the .357 Mag?

By the way, the other three on my list are an M1 Carbine, O/U 12 gauge shotgun and a 1903 Springfield. Also, I've read a lot of the threads on OC vs CC, so I have a good understanding of the issue. I'm just looking for a six shooter that I can strap on, if I want to.
    "Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions." G.K. Chesterton

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Firearm "Bucket List"

If you do not have one yet, you need a Colt Python.

Thee finest revolver ever made IMHO

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

A S&W Model 19 marks you as a true conniseur, a skilled adept at an intense pastime. Large target grips and a blue polish simply exude subdued elegance and true class.

However, nothing speaks raw, unbridled power as well as a blued Model 29 ("Dirty Harry"). If you simply must have stainless, it would be a Model 629 but that is certainly flashy, and ostentatiousness is not a desirable thing. (Was it Geo. Patton who commented that pearl grips on a revolver were only for pimps?)

Although if you are of an age that can wear it well, the most distinguishing revolver is probably a Model 1917 in 45ACP, which subtly hints of many exciting years of experience and prowess, and second only to it is a Model 25 in 45 Long Colt, WITH a looped belt-slide holding twelve nickel reloads.

Flash

You are welcome, sksmith. Once, long ago, in addition to being a haberdasher, I also perticipated in redecorating a Las Vegas whorehouse. You are very welcome.

Holster fashion is a whole 'nother subject, entirely.

(Cumberland County)

I only have one revolver, and it's a Ruger GP100 brushed stainless. For me, I thought the 4" barrels were a little too short, and the 6" barrels were a little too long. I found a special edition 5" barrel model on Davidsons last year. It balances very well, and I'm pretty certain it will never break in my lifetime.

The only modification I've done is to replace the front sight with a Millet sight...but only because I got tired of painting the origninal sight every time I cleaned the weapon.

Addendum - the "other" modification I made was to dry fire the pistol about 2000 times before the trigger smoothed out, but now it's very nice
    Last edited by munk; June 3rd, 2009 at 11:55 PM.

(Bucks County)

Smith and Wesson 686. Mine is stainless and has a 6" barrel.

-Zach

(Butler County)

My buckets got a hole in it. I have all the guns that I need, but will never have all that I want. I can't afford a T series Browning Hi-Power or a Wilson .45 but I still want one. Python, Anaconda, S&W revolvers, Contender, a real Luger. The list just goes on and on and on.

As noted, S&W Model 19 or 66, Ruger GP100, or S&W 686. All very fine.

(Philadelphia County)

Smith and Wesson model 19 is Blued, And then the model 66 is the same but in stainless steel. Both are K frames.
    Just got this model 66 in 6"

NOW if I were to open carry a revolver it would most likely be this 4" 686 with the Door Knocker grip plate!
    The 686 is a tad larger than the 19/66, The 686 is an L frame meaning you just wont wear it out!
    This one is a real beauty in my eyes and was an Oakland PD gun.

Peter.
    Last edited by pred; June 4th, 2009 at 08:26 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Dan Wesson Model 15 ... or bust.

Al

(Centre County)

I'm partial to Rugers. I found the SS GP100 with a 4" barrel is a very good carry gun although the 5" carries good also. The 6" is a good accurate gun but a little long/heavy if you are carrying it for really long periods. The GP's hammer/trigger can be smoothed up very easily and with a bit lighter springs it is very nice to shoot. It will handle any and all loads without a problem.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast