Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Bushmaster XM15 malfunction

I went to the range today and while my friend was using my AR there was a FTF. When I took the gun I could not pull the bolt back more than about 1/2". I broke the gun down and with some force was able to remove the BCG, the round was still in the gun and the primer had been struck by the pin (Wolf ammo, BTW). I do not have a pair of needlenose small enough (or right angled) to get the round out, but not sure if I should even try it myself.

Does anyone with heavy AR experience have any suggestions? I've had 3 bad rounds out of the last case of Wolf, 2 in my guns, one in someone elses Colt AR. I'm obviously more worried why I could not get the round out of the gun, as the gun was cleaned just 2 days before, and I had only put about 70 rounds through it. My initial thought is that I might need a new extractor as well, but this is just my gut reaction, not from any experience.

I bought the AR about 2 months ago from ACE, so it's still under warranty with them. Any thoughts?

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Bushmaster XM15 malfunction

if its still under warranty , ur better off shipping it back to the manufacturer cuz they can replace it with new parts . would you still want a chipped or scratched bolt or barrel chamber? let them fix it , u dotn want to risk more damage or void the warranty.

(Cumberland County)

sounds like that thing is junk you should just box it up and mail it to me then forget you ever bought it.LOL

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 338winmag View Post
    sounds like that thing is junk you should just box it up and mail it to me then forget you ever bought it.LOL
    Sure, send me the new Ruger piston fired AR and we will call it a deal! At least you didn't give me the "should have bought a colt" speech, as I am sure someone will.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by NP1724 View Post
    Sure, send me the new Ruger piston fired AR and we will call it a deal! At least you didn't give me the "should have bought a colt" speech, as I am sure someone will.
    yea i wish i could help ya but this aint my area.sorry

(Chester County)

Steel case ammo expands differently than brass. If you shoot brass and then go to steel you can have issues.... Same thing can happen if you shoot a lot of lacquered steel and go to brass... They leave a film and it can heat up and actually stick to the surfaces....

Im sure the rest will come tell you how they have NEVER had a problem...

(Montgomery County)

Couple questions

When you say round is stuck are your referring to the brass / steal case or the actual bullet is stuck?

Next, is this new polymer wolf ammo or the older lacquer wolf.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by d90king View Post
    Steel case ammo expands differently than brass. If you shoot brass and then go to steel you can have issues.... Same thing can happen if you shoot a lot of lacquered steel and go to brass... They leave a film and it can heat up and actually stick to the surfaces....

Im sure the rest will come tell you how they have NEVER had a problem...
    Actually since I've had it its seen nothing but steel case, and cleaned with solvent and lubed with CLP or weapon shield after each use.

Quote Originally Posted by Guns4Fun View Post
    Couple questions

When you say round is stuck are your referring to the brass / steal case or the actual bullet is stuck?

Next, is this new polymer wolf ammo or the older lacquer wolf.
    The entire round case and bullet, it was a FTF, at least according to my friend who was shooting it. I asked him if it fired of if it just clicked before the problem. He said it did not fire, so taking his word on it, then then entire round is still in the chamber. It's the new Wolf, polymer.

(Luzerne County)

I've shot close to if not slightly over 2k rounds of Wolf MC through my Bushmaster with not one failure.

Now, I finally got a FTE last week, but only after firing about 4 30rd magazines really fast, then letting the next chambered round sit in the rifle. The steel cases do not expand as well as brass cases ammo, thereby letting carbon build up in the chamber. This build up lead to the FTE, but all I did was let the bolt go home again and pull the charging handle back with the round ejecting.

I went back to firing, but not one mag after another in rapid succession without any problems. I don't think firing only 70 rounds would give you this problem. I've since added the little O-ring to the extractor and I will test it shortly to see if that helps.

Wolf is good ammo for plinking and drills, provided you are not trying to start WWIII.

(Armstrong County)

I'm not an expert i've only had my AR a month or so but from what i've heard is don't put wolf through an AR! That being said if u had the money to buy the gun in the first place u can prob afford to get better ammo. Or maybe buy a cheap reloading press and reload. Thats just my 2 cents. Like i said thats just what i've heard and wat i'm doing. RELOAD or buy better ammo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast