Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Suggest a Backpack Fishing Kit

I'm interested in getting a very portable fishing rig, perhaps with a telescopic fishing pole. I have very limited space on my apartment and also would like the option of storing it easily in my trunk for vacations and unexpected fishing opportunities. Has anyone had any experience, or know of some really good brands or places to look?

I saw a few infomercial versions of these types of things but I find that products from infomercials cannot always be trusted.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Suggest a Backpack Fishing Kit

If you're going for anything heavier than trout, I'd recommend a two piece Ugly Stick over a telescoping rod. Even the light Ugly Sticks can be abused without problem.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(York County)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...327&id=0042540

for storage/easy carry, i like this tackle bag at cabelas, where you can get a tube (its not included unfortunately) and put a two-piece rod like an Ugly Stick on the side and carry it as a backpack...you can get the bag with plastic boxes or without...

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by righteousbarbarian View Post
    I saw a few infomercial versions of these types of things but I find that products from infomercials cannot always be trusted.
    Ya, like the "Fish Pen" LOL... that thing looks like an old telescoping radio antenna. I love how they show people catching 5" long fish on the thing.

I have a cheap fiberglass telescoping pole and tackle set that I got at WalMart on clearance for $10 a few years ago. I have yet to try it out.

(Allegheny County)

I'd recommend a 2 or 3 piece also. It'll be more reliable for you in the long run.

I usually take an old 2 piece st croix with me when i go backpacking. Just strap it to the outside of my pack.

If you are set on a telescoping rod, just grab a cheap one from wallyworld or something. Ive used them before, and they arent too bad at first, but the retention parts of the tube wear out, and they end up just collapsing on you while using.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Philadelphia County)

Compact, portable, effective.

(Centre County)

Hey Mark,

If you're around the weekend of July 27, 28, 29 come over to my place as we (PaFOA members) are having a sporting goods only garage sale. I would suspect that there will be fishing stuff as well as firearms, reloading stuff, mil surp, etc. In fact i think I may be putting some rods and reels up for sale as I don't do much fishing any more. I'll be posting in Centre Co. Thread also about the sale.

Also, If you're still having issues with the CZ, bring it by and I'll see what I can do.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Bedford County)

For trunk storage I see no problem with any high quality 2 piece rod. I like St. Croix and All-Star for upper end performance. If you are looking for rods under $50 each, I like the Fenwick and Ugly Stik brands. You can buy an Ugly at Wal-Mart for $34.00 and take it back if it ever breaks!

For backpacking I have found no better rod than the Bass Pro Shops Micro-Lite.
    These rods break down into 2' sections and are really sensitive for the price. I have 2 of them. Over 2 years of service with no problems.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...=SearchResults

On a budget...look at Wal-Mart for a medium-light action Ugly Stik Lite for $34.00. Then look for a Shakespheare DIMENSION spinning reel. These 10 ball bearing reels are also around $34.00. The Dimension reel is nothing but a Pflueger President with a different color. The Pflueger President is a GREAT $65.00 reel.
    Shakespheare and Pflueger are the same company. The Dimension is a steal.

Good luck!