Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 Bolt Actions

(Bucks County)

Default 22 Bolt Actions

Hello,

Right now I shoot pistols and shotguns, but am looking to getting into rifles.

I think that I want to start with a 22LR bolt action. Does that seem to be a wise choice?

Any suggestions or warnings on an inexpensive 22LR bolt action would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Default Re: 22 Bolt Actions

I just bought a Savage MKII F for my son. Synthetic stock, blued barrel & action. For just over $100 you can't beat it. Shoots pretty good too..
    "The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

Nothings wrong with a bolt gun, but if your going buy a .22, I'd recommend getting a Ruger semi 10/22. They are a little more "fun" once you get use to it. Bolt guns are great, but for a .22 the benefits of a boltgun aren't much greater than a semi IMHO
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

Savages and Marlins are probably the two best inexpensive 22 LR. I'd also recommend taking a look at a Russian Biathalon Basic if you can find one. I have one in 22 mag and it is very accurate. The BB is also offered in 22LR and it's one of the best kept secrets out there.

The Ruger 10/22 is nice if you like tons of aftermarket parts, but I've always been a fan of bolt actions when it comes to accuracy. Just remember that a huge advantage of a bolt over a semi is that there are a lot less parts, which means less to break. Don't get me wrong, I love my semi's, but bolts do more with less.

ETA: Here is a link to the Russian BB

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=135537

www.rimfirecentral.com is the place to be for anything rimfire related.
    Last edited by aubie515; January 9th, 2007 at 11:18 PM.

Here is a pic of my boy's Savage:

"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil but, because of the people who do nothing about them."
    - Albert Einstein

(Bucks County)

Bolt action rifles are great in the larger calibers. Just like aub said, they do more for less. However with a .22lr, IMO id have to go with a semi-rifle. After 3 or 4 times with a bolt action .22 your gonna sick of it real fast. I have a old old school winchester Bolt action in .22lr with the original scope (my Pops handed down to me and he got it from his fater). It was one of the first rifles I have ever shot and still after all these years its a fine shooter with a hair trigger.
    But it gets old fast. get something with a Lil kick, although semi's in .22lr are sweet!
    Drakin
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Bedford County)

.22 rifles are fun, and the best way to begin rifle shooting. My question is are you planning to do any hunting with the rifle? If so, you will want a bolt action since semi-auto rifles are not allowed in Pa. If so...I like the Marlin line of .22 bolts for the money.

If this rifle will be for target shooting only... the mentioned Ruger 10/22 would be great. It is a accurate rifle with tons of after market parts avail. You can build it up as you have extra cash.

For me it would be a Marlin bolt with detach mag, or the Ruger 10/22.

CZ Bolt Action .22's are very accurate, and not terribly high priced. They are also produced from blued steel and Walnut, no cheap Aluminum and plastic. Bill T.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BUCKMARK View Post
    .22 rifles are fun, and the best way to begin rifle shooting. My question is are you planning to do any hunting with the rifle? If so, you will want a bolt action since semi-auto rifles are not allowed in Pa. If so...I like the Marlin line of .22 bolts for the money.

If this rifle will be for target shooting only... the mentioned Ruger 10/22 would be great. It is a accurate rifle with tons of after market parts avail. You can build it up as you have extra cash.

For me it would be a Marlin bolt with detach mag, or the Ruger 10/22.
    If you are hunting with a rifle, you are going to want a larger caliber than a .22lr.
    Drakin
    Life and Liberty, Freedom for all.

(Bedford County)

Quote Originally Posted by DrakinClaw View Post
    If you are hunting with a rifle, you are going to want a larger caliber than a .22lr.
    Drakin
    Unless you hunt tree rats. Which thousands of folks from Pa. do every year!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast