Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Lethal Force Institue

I start this Thread for Mark & Frank and myself members/contributors here
    and recent Graduates

I just completed a 40 hour training course by the Lethal Force Institute ( Massad Ayoob) the class was spread over 4 days at 10 hours a day, it cost $ 800 plus hotel and food ( you supply your own food) I have been carrying openly since 1989 ( Nevada) and received my first concealed permit in 2000 ( florida & Pa). I was trained in my youth in a NJ police acadamy. Well let me tell you this class kicks ass, forget the Utah class or some NRA class this guy knows his sh*t
    If you don't know who Mass( Massad Ayoob) is you should start, read everything this man has written. I had heard of him from people over the past 20 yrs, now I know what they were talking about. I joined the Armed Citizens Network this year, Mass was on their introduction three DVD set, I liked what he had to say, and pluncked down the bucks ( for all you guys who say I got my Utah license cause I saved money not getting the florida one, well you got no more excuses you got the extra bucks). I took the class in Harrisburg, Pa at a really nice hunting/fishing club, I met some really nice like minded people men and women, 24 in fact from around the east coast. In fact we are now members of a small fraternity. The class consisited of 3 hours of range time a day and 7 hours of video, interactive video and verbal lectures from the man himself. Massad Ayoob trains cops , federal LE, expert witness and gun magazine writer, he will testify for his graduates and is accessable 24 /7 for graduates
    Dispite my vast experience, I was having a bit of range trouble with my new Walther P-99 as, so I switched to my Glock 17. One of the instructor took me under his wing and we shot until dark and early the next morning to see that I qualified, I am proud to say I did qualify on the range and passed the written exam.
    The things I learned in this seminar was outragous, I thought of some of you and your past comments. I highly recommend everyone take this class before you start carrying a firearm, I should note one must /should have a CCW/LCTF type permit, they do screen folks. I will never see other concealed carriers the same way, this grasshopper just learned from the Master himself. Do I think I am better than you NO just much better informed about concealed carry!!!

sprat
    Packing.org,Deloc,Open carry,Florida Carry Concealed,LFI Graduate

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Lethal Force Institue

Quote Originally Posted by sprat View Post
    and recent Graduates

I just completed a 40 hour training course by the Lethal Force Institute ( Massad Ayoob) the class was spread over 4 days at 10 hours a day, it cost $ 800 plus hotel and food ( you supply your own food) I have been carrying openly since 1989 ( Nevada) and received my first concealed permit in 2000 ( florida & Pa). I was trained in my youth in a NJ police acadamy. Well let me tell you this class kicks ass, forget the Utah class or some NRA class this guy knows his sh*t
    If you don't know who Mass( Massad Ayoob) is you should start, read everything this man has written. I had heard of him from people over the past 20 yrs, now I know what they were talking about. I joined the Armed Citizens Network this year, Mass was on their introduction three DVD set, I liked what he had to say, and pluncked down the bucks ( for all you guys who say I got my Utah license cause I saved money not getting the florida one, well you got no more excuses you got the extra bucks). I took the class in Harrisburg, Pa at a really nice hunting/fishing club, I met some really nice like minded people men and women, 24 in fact from around the east coast. In fact we are now members of a small fraternity. The class consisited of 3 hours of range time a day and 7 hours of video, interactive video and verbal lectures from the man himself. Massad Ayoob trains cops , federal LE, expert witness and gun magazine writer, he will testify for his graduates and is accessable 24 /7 for graduates
    Dispite my vast experience, I was having a bit of range trouble with my new Walther P-99 as, so I switched to my Glock 17. One of the instructor took me under his wing and we shot until dark and early the next morning to see that I qualified, I am proud to say I did qualify on the range and passed the written exam.
    The things I learned in this seminar was outragous, I thought of some of you and your past comments. I highly recommend everyone take this class before you start carrying a firearm, I should note one must /should have a CCW/LCTF type permit, they do screen folks. I will never see other concealed carriers the same way, this grasshopper just learned from the Master himself. Do I think I am better than you NO just much better informed about concealed carry!!!

sprat
    awesome write-up. i know of a couple people that also took this course and i plan on taking one as soon as i get some money together.i have only ever heard outstanding things.thanks for the reassurance!

(Westmoreland County)

Another newly enlightened soul.

Welcome to the club.

"There's no such thing as tough, there's trained and untrained".

(Montgomery County)

Another one you may want to check out is the Tactical Defense Institute of Ohio. (www.tdiohio.com). They have, among many classes, a 3-day Handgun course that was highly recommeded to me by a friend. Maybe not as in-depth as Ayoob's courses (I'm a fan of his books) but it looks to be a lot easier to handle in terms of cost and time off from work (it's usually Fri-Sat-Sun, and it's in a neighboring state to Penna). I have not yet been to either, but I'm planning on taking the TDI course this fall.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by sprat View Post
    and recent Graduates

sprat
    Been through LFI I, II and III and loved every one of them and would also recommend them to anyone. Mas is pretty interesting and can be a little abrasive at times, but who among us isn't. He know his stuff and I particularly like the emphasis on mindset and skill building.

(Allegheny County)

Congrats on the training. One can never have too much!

I too just completed another 40 class locally, but unfortunately not from the likes of Massad. It was a closed class, only open to LE.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Adams County)

I just wanted to add to what Sprat said about Massad Ayoub. I met Massad at the Second Chance match up in Michigan back in 1995. He showed a genuine interest in how I was doing during the match, and I was able to get a picture of the two of us together. Before the match ended, I said to him how I was sure how a lot of people wanted something from him, so to be different I gave him one of the blaze orange baseball caps I had made up at Standard Pennant in Big Run, Pa. that said "Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania." Later on, I got a nice letter from him thanking me for the hat and saying that he wore it during hunting season. I still have that letter stuck in one of his books. I met several of the world class pistol shooters of the time at that match, and all of them were just first class people.

(Allegheny County)

sprat,

Good write up.

I had the chance to attend LFI I and Defensive Rifle in the early 90s. My wife attended LFI I and II.

We have both trained with numerous top national firearms instructors throughout the country and both feel that LFI I is a "must attend" for any serious concealed weapon carrier.

Take care
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.