Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Rossi Trifecta

(Bucks County)

Default Rossi Trifecta

Does anyone have any experience with one of these? I need to get my 11yo daughter a rifle for deer hunting as she is taking advantage of the PGC youth mentor program thsi winter. I am torn between the .243 and the .44mag barrel. I don't see her taking shots any further than 75yds or so and was thinking the .44 might be a little lighter recoil in rifle format and since I have a .44 revolver it would be one less caliber ammo I needed to buy. I wish I still had my Marlin 1894 for her to use.
    Guns are dangerous, but no guns is more dangerous.

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Rossi Trifecta

I bought a Rossi matched pair for my son (12 at the time) a couple of years ago. His has a 223 barrel and a 20 gauge barrel. So far, it's been a good shooter.

He hasn't had any problems pulling the hammer back, the scope seems to stay sighted in, and the youth stock fit him nicely although he's about outgrown it now.

The wood to metal fit isn't very good but he's shot some groundhogs and a lot of paper targets with it.

The price is right and the gun serves it's purpose. I'd probably pick the 243 because I like to hunt groundhogs and think that would be a better choice than the 44. Your needs may vary.

Dale

(Lancaster County)

Go for the 243. Its small enough that she can start with it and large enough that she can continue to hunt with it for awhile.
    No longer posting

(Lehigh County)

I got one of these for my son for the same reason. This year will be my first year back in the woods for hunting and he will be going with me.

I opted for the .243/20ga/.22 combo. He will be able to continue to hunt with it for years.

My son is very small for his age 11 years old and weighs only 60 lbs with his clothes on. He can handle the recoil of the .243 just fine. He prefers the 80gr bullets but will shoot 100gr if thats what we have. (I gotta have the only 11 yr old that can tell the difference between bullet weight) We haven't had the chance to zero at any distance beyond 25 yds. At 25yds all 3 shots are touching. We will be going to Palmyra Sportsmans Assn next weekend to shoot it at 25, 50, 100 and maybe 200 yds. I will be sure to post the results when we are done.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.