Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default steel core or no?

I am looking at some PRIVI PARTIZAN 62 grn FMJ. They have it in steel core and lead core. Lead core is cheaper. What are the differences in performance between the steel core and lead core? I know that the steel core is designed as a penetrating round, but besides that what are the differences in how they perform? Preferences? One more accurate than the other? What are your opinions on this brand? Thanks for your responses.
    Last edited by Leeload45; September 3rd, 2009 at 06:44 AM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: steel core or no?

Theyre excellent ammo, Made in Bosnia on Modern American equipment that Bill Clinton Sent over during the Balkan War. If you can afford it get as much as you can , because it wont last.

The 62 grain roun you mentioned is nothing but in NATO parlance is called a ss109 round , it has has steel core that is designed to penetrate a Kevlar Helmet ayt 400 yards- get the picture?

Its good stuff get it all if you can.

Get atleast A 1000 ROUNDS OF THE SS109 and stash it away for when TSHTF or TEOTWAWKI.

Nyman

(Philadelphia County)

M855 made with the SS109 projectile is designed to punch through NATO standard body armor. It also has superior performance through barriers as compared to M193. Some may complain about terminal performance but shot placement is final. What twist rate is your barrel. If it's 1:7 or 1:8 go for it, if it's a slower 1:12 or longer I'd stick to the M193. Also consider where you will be shooting. Many ranges do not allow steel core ammunition as it may go through their backstops and if you engage in competitive shooting they generally don't want it shot at their steel targets. If none of this is a concern for you I say go for it. Personally I have a slight preference for M193 but will happily buy and shoot either.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

Thanks for the replies guys. What I am trying to figure out is wheither the 62 grn round with the steel core is better than the 62 grn round with the lead core or vice versa for defensive/combative purposes. I guess I should not have mentioned the 55 grn at all, because it is not part of my question, just an FYI. The ammo will be shot through a 1:7 barrel.

What I am trying to figure out is wheither the 62 grn round with the steel core is better than the 62 grn round with the lead core or vice versa for defensive/combative purposes.

I don't think there is any real difference in the rounds for the the uses you list.

Hey Leeload45

My thoughts are go with the steel core. In terms of self-defense both rounds will reliably fragment ( shatter ) upon impact out to ~125m ( that maybe even further out as I am going off memory for velocity/fragmentation cut off point ) and the steel core will give you more versatility out to 400m as previous posted.

Both will give you excellent groups. I have a case of 62gr Privi that I shoot at matches.

Buy lots and enjoy !

Sabre~!

(Allegheny County)

There are a lot of people who think steel core will go through "a tank", so buy a bunch of it and sell it to those people. They are generally willing to pay 4x what it is worth because... well, because they don't know any better.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    There are a lot of people who think steel core will go through "a tank", so buy a bunch of it and sell it to those people. They are generally willing to pay 4x what it is worth because... well, because they don't know any better.

lol ... that's funny!
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(Monroe County)

My Mini 14 has a 1-9 twist and it shoots ss109 perfectly, your 1-7 is goog to go.

Nyman