Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Upgrading beyond the Taurus 94 22LR

About 5 years ago I came across a used blued Taurus 94 9 shot 22 long rifle revolver. The gun was in like new condition. DA trigger pull is a bit heavy but the thing shots quite nicely. I think it was traded in because when I would shoot it, the firing pin would actually pierce the case causing it to jam. So I left it cocked for about 2 weeks and that must have weakened the spring a bit, b/c it works fine now. Yes, crude but effective. Anyways, it's time to upgrade to an American made product and cause a little more demand in the firearms market place. I think I've narrowed my choices between a Smith & Wesson 63 or the Ruger Single Six Hunter. The big option differences to me are the option of a 22 Magnum cylinder with the Ruger or the option of a flip out cylinder with the Smith plus 2 more rounds. Does anybody else have any experience with the Hunter or the 63? Does each gun have interchangeable sights? I may not like that V notch with ruger. I wish I could find one in a store somewhere to see if I do. Is it also true that the 22 magnum has a larger bore diameter than the 22 long rifle? I've read that the Rugers group worse with the 22 magnum cylinder. Thanks for your experience!

Default Re: Upgrading beyond the Taurus 94 22LR

Quote Originally Posted by Tiadaghton44 View Post
    About 5 years ago I came across a used blued Taurus 94 9 shot 22 long rifle revolver. The gun was in like new condition. DA trigger pull is a bit heavy but the thing shots quite nicely. I think it was traded in because when I would shoot it, the firing pin would actually pierce the case causing it to jam. So I left it cocked for about 2 weeks and that must have weakened the spring a bit, b/c it works fine now. Yes, crude but effective. Anyways, it's time to upgrade to an American made product and cause a little more demand in the firearms market place. I think I've narrowed my choices between a Smith & Wesson 63 or the Ruger Single Six Hunter. The big option differences to me are the option of a 22 Magnum cylinder with the Ruger or the option of a flip out cylinder with the Smith plus 2 more rounds. Does anybody else have any experience with the Hunter or the 63? Does each gun have interchangeable sights? I may not like that V notch with ruger. I wish I could find one in a store somewhere to see if I do. Is it also true that the 22 magnum has a larger bore diameter than the 22 long rifle? I've read that the Rugers group worse with the 22 magnum cylinder. Thanks for your experience!

No, the Rugers group better with the .22 mag since it is a larger bore and the .22 is a smaller diameter bullet...not enough to me for any complaint.....Ruger is a hell of a manufacturer and I love their products. I've had a Single Six and i want another one and I wasnt aware they make a "hunter" single six and that might be another reason for me to put down some cash. Sorry I can't be of any service about Smith. Im not a "gun snob" so the "better triggers with the Smiths" they dont make a shit full of beans to me and yes i care about accuracy, but no i shoot just as good with my gp100 than i do with my 27-2 at certain distances since the 27-2 has got like a 8inch barrel? maybe 10.

Not trying to piss the Smith crowd off Smith is a good company but IMO they're not as heavily built as Rugers and cant take the beating.
    Last edited by S&W 10mm; July 17th, 2009 at 10:35 AM.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Lycoming County)

I like the Ruger pistols a lot, not familiar with the model you speak of. I am familiar with the S&W line. I had a 617 when I was in Alaska, probably the finest revolver I ever owned. I'd take a look at one if I were you.
    My Best, Walt

(Centre County)

I would go with the Ruger because of the intechangeable cylinders. You should be able to get different sights with no problem (Brownells, MidwayUSA). The sight set up for the Hunter model is because it is a Hunter model. The V notch gets you a quick sight picture, just like the sights on most 30-30"s. The Ruger is tough as nails and will last seveal lifetimes if treated correctly. Nothing against the Smiths, I've owned several over the years but I like Rugers for their toughness. Also, you can slick up the triggers and pulls on Rugers, it's not that hard.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

I don't know muc habout the smith model that you are talking about but I have a 34-1 and it is by far my favorite .22 revolver. I also have a couple ruger bearcats and I love them dearly.

Get both.

I got a price on the smith 63 at my local shop. $630 seems kind of expensive. My 637 .38 cost me $485 last year and my brother recently purchased an M&P 40 for $550. Why so much for a little 22? The ruger is P.O.R. so I didn't get a price for that one. The ruger would go good with my Ruger 77/22 magnum. I wish they still made the SP101 in 22 LR. I need to go look for some rugers to hold.