Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Almost done with my EBR!

It's a complete RRA. Was thinking of building it myself but saw a complete one at a gun show which was basically what I was gonna build: RRA complete lower with houge rubber grip, RRA two stage match trigger, upper is a 16 inch carbine length R4 profile heavy chrome lined barrel and chamber with standard BCG and fixed front sight post. I've since added a Daniel Defense Omega Rail and today I picked up my order from GunDealerOnline. They just opened a retail store in Lancaster so I picked it up there to save on shipping. I got a Troy flip up rear BUIS and while I was there picked up a Magpul CTR stock as well. Soon getting a Surefire M961XM07 weaponlight, then I'm gonna finish it off with a LaRue FUG and a Trijicon ACOG with LaRue quick release mount. Maybe get an ARMS or LaRue quick release mount for the light as well (any insight on which one is better? they're both about the same price: too high). So what do you guys think of all that? I'll tell ya what I think, pretty f'in expensive! I'll post some pics when it's done so you can drool.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Almost done with my EBR!

I'd skip on the ARMS mount. Larue if you want it QD.

The CTR stock is lightweight...and what you have spelled out will be a little front heavy.

With the ACOG, 2-stage trigger and heavy bbl...are you thinking of doing mostly bench shooting? If so, the VFG and CTR seem a little usual for that kind of setup.

A Vltor or LMT stock would balance that out a little more and be a little nicer for the cheek-weld on the bench and off it.

It's all up to you though, but honestly...skip the ARMS mount.

(York County)

Thanks for the heads up, but I forgot about a Daniel Defense offset mount as an option too. I hear these are nice since it puts the light button right next to your thumb. But that kind of defeats the purpose of using a pressure switch. And just so you know, I'm building this rifle up simply based on personal preference in no specific order. I want it to look cool and be ale to hit the 100-200 yard targets at my range. Got the CTR mainly because I liked the idea of a 6 position stock with a friction lock for no movement. Now the whole gun is solid (handguards and stock). Do I need all of this for my intended purpose, no. But, I like it.

Also Synergy: I think you meant the VFG and CTR seem a little "un"usual for this. At my range it could work better than having a bipod or bipod grip. The targets are below the benches so bipods are usually kind of tall to be comfortable and the FUG grip can change the height with 3 different end caps so it would kind of be like a nice little mono pod. If it's too short I don't mind shooting prone or stacking some range equipment under it.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, but I forgot about a Daniel Defense offset mount as an option too. I hear these are nice since it puts the light button right next to your thumb. But that kind of defeats the purpose of using a pressure switch. And just so you know, I'm building this rifle up simply based on personal preference in no specific order. I want it to look cool and be ale to hit the 100-200 yard targets at my range. Got the CTR mainly because I liked the idea of a 6 position stock with a friction lock for no movement. Now the whole gun is solid (handguards and stock). Do I need all of this for my intended purpose, no. But, I like it.

Also Synergy: I think you meant the VFG and CTR seem a little "un"usual for this. At my range it could work better than having a bipod or bipod grip. The targets are below the benches so bipods are usually kind of tall to be comfortable and the FUG grip can change the height with 3 different end caps so it would kind of be like a nice little mono pod. If it's too short I don't mind shooting prone or stacking some range equipment under it.
    Yeah, good catch...I meant unusual.

If bipods are too long, I'd just rest off the magazine, but that's me. Shooting off the mag can be done on any rifle, VFG or not. But by all means, use it if you want to.

I've never seen the point in running a QD light mount, unless you're switching from a daylight setup to a night-time setup with IR lights and NVG's (ie: kill people for a living). And even then, keeping a white light on the carbine still might be a good idea.

I've not seen a reason to yank my light off in a hurry yet, I can change batteries with it in place, and I run a flip cap on the lens to protect it when I'm not using it (and to cut down on white light ND's). So I've chosen to save the weight and dollars associated with the more complicated light mounts, and just run a VTAC for $20.

Oh, and as for your mission of hammering targets out to 200 yards...don't think you "need" magnification for that. My eyesight isn't perfect, but I've shot sub 2" groups at 100y with iron sights numerous times. Your fundamentals are the most critical link in the chain. Smacking man sized targets out to 300 became boring once you get your fundamentals down.

Magnification will be nice when your shooting rested, and going for precision....but offhand, on close targets...it's not something I want to have. My hands are not steady enough to take advantage of the magnification advantage, 1x optics don't hamper my ability to hit a thing offhand.
    Last edited by synergy; July 16th, 2009 at 12:47 AM.

(York County)

You seem to know your stuff synergy but I am almost certain I'm not a better shooter than you. I know what you mean by I need to work on my fundamentals but I haven't had much time to practice lately. I snapped a shot of my first target at 50 yards with the rifle. Let me know what you think of it (good/bad?). This was the first time I used irons on an AR, my old M&P-15 had a 10x scope on it and I was able to hold much tighter groups. That's kind of why I want some magnification. Anyway, here it is. First 40 shots straight out of the box:

In case it matters, I wasn't using a bipod/rest or anything just sitting. I'm sure I'd do better with a rest but I don't think it's that bad for my first group. I've only had time to shoot it a couple more times after that and groups were about the same. Tried 100 yards with the iron sights and it opened up quite a bit. Since I had the camera out I snapped a quick pic of the rifle too:

(Chester County)

You seem to know your stuff synergy but I am almost certain I'm not a better shooter than you. I know what you mean by I need to work on my fundamentals but I haven't had much time to practice lately. I snapped a shot of my first target at 50 yards with the rifle. Let me know what you think of it (good/bad?). This was the first time I used irons on an AR, my old M&P-15 had a 10x scope on it and I was able to hold much tighter groups. That's kind of why I want some magnification. Anyway, here it is. First 40 shots straight out of the box:

In case it matters, I wasn't using a bipod/rest or anything just sitting. I'm sure I'd do better with a rest but I don't think it's that bad for my first group. I've only had time to shoot it a couple more times after that and groups were about the same. Tried 100 yards with the iron sights and it opened up quite a bit. Since I had the camera out I snapped a quick pic of the rifle too:

Now that legion pointed out how shitty my reading comprehension is...I'll attempt to remove my foot from my mouth...

That's not a bad first time out. Not great, but you can't expect miracles while your learning.
    The book "Green eyes and black rifles" goes over a LOT of different shooting positions, and will give you some things to focus on to improve your shooting.

A course is always the best way to improve, but that book is definitely worth the $30.

Consistency is key, and skelatal support is key. Make sure your using bones, not muscles to support the weapon. Then just focus on the fundamentals.

A magnified optic will help you see how much wobble you have on the target, but it won't help you control it...only good fundamentals will.

A .22LR conversion kit is a good way to learn this on the cheap, and break in your trigger pull and get used to your rifle at the same time.

Check that book out if you get a chance, and shoot with people more experienced that yourself....it'll help you out a lot, until you can make it to a course.

Cheers.
    Last edited by synergy; July 16th, 2009 at 11:23 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Uhh, I think he said he's NOT a better shooter than you. *LOL*
    How are you shooting? prone, standing supported, standing unsupported?
    The best thing to do is to work on your fundamentals, breathing, trigger squeeze, firing position etc. You get better with your irons and try to think how you'll group once you go back to optics. They're called the fundamentals for a reason.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    The best thing to do is to work on your fundamentals, breathing, trigger squeeze, firing position etc. You get better with your irons and try to think how you'll group once you go back to optics. They're called the fundamentals for a reason.
    Wow...thanks.

I edited the post; but I can't seem to get the taste of my foot out of my mouth....

thanks!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Legion_Prime View Post
    I was just shooting in a chair at the range unsupported, unless you count lumbar support... in which case that shitty chair didn't provide any.

I figured I might as well hold of on the ACOG for a little bit and practice with the irons because I thought of exactly what you're saying: If I can hold a tight group with iron sights then I could do even better with magnification. That is what you're saying right?

(Philadelphia County)

I was just shooting in a chair at the range unsupported, unless you count lumbar support... in which case that shitty chair didn't provide any.

I figured I might as well hold of on the ACOG for a little bit and practice with the irons because I thought of exactly what you're saying: If I can hold a tight group with iron sights then I could do even better with magnification. That is what you're saying right?
    Exactly what I am saying.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast