Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BUG Options

(Bucks County)

Default BUG Options

At this point, I'm considering adding a B.U.G. to my daily carry package and wanted to get some input from people on some possibilities I've identified . . . as well as any suggestions people might have of there own.

I am leaning towards a Smith 442 or 642, but would also consider a Kahr. My instincts are leading me to the revolver though.

Default Re: BUG Options

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    At this point, I'm considering adding a B.U.G. to my daily carry package and wanted to get some input from people on some possibilities I've identified . . . as well as any suggestions people might have of there own.

I am leaning towards a Smith 442 or 642, but would also consider a Kahr. My instincts are leading me to the revolver though.
    How are you looking to carry it?

The how IS important- I've been known to carry a Walther PPK in .380 in my coat pocket when driving long distances, or in a coat pocket when walking in really cold weather- it's light, easier to get to than my G17 at 4:00, and will provide enough oomph to give me a moment to get a real gun out.

(Bucks County)

I'm thinking cross-draw IWB or ankle holster.

my $.02, worth exactly what you paid for it:

If I were to choose ankle, I'd go with an auto, something flat, if your pants are tapered. Preferably something smaller than your leg- minimizes printing and less likely to press into the opposite leg.

If it were crossdraw, whaterver you're most comfortable with, provided you can conceal it. My choice would be an auto in both cases, but that's more because I'm more comfortable with autos.

(Monroe County)

I shot my wife's 9mm Kahr CW9 yesterday and really enjoy it. the recoil isn't bad at all, its very flat at .9" thick, its built for carry, recoil is acceptable and accuracy was good (need to move the sight though) and thats 8 rounds of 9mm ammo (7+1)

That being said its a little to big for pocket carry imho, it works in cargo pockets of shorts but for jeans its a little to big. It would work in a pinch but not as a daily pocket carry. it will work great in a IWB holster / belly band as it is very thin and small.

I would say the Kahr performed great and is built perfectly for conceal carry. Its also very affordable at around 400 total out the door price from online. you can also get it in 40 and 45 but the kick would probably be much worse
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Pike County)

If you have never tried ankle, give a try before basing a $$$ purchase on it. For me, not a great option. Accessability is always a question, and it's very slow. Many pants legs are cut to tight for it. Many boots are a no go.
    I use a 442 for carry at times. I like it cross draw for long car rides for quick access seated in the car. I also use it IWB for summer primary. I have an older Desantis IWB hlloster that carries it very low in the waistband.
    If you want a revolver it's hard to beat.
    I also like keltec p3at's for this.
    Last edited by gf45acp; June 23rd, 2008 at 07:02 PM. Reason: sp

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I shot my wife's 9mm Kahr CW9 yesterday and really enjoy it. the recoil isn't bad at all, its very flat at .9" thick, its built for carry, recoil is acceptable and accuracy was good (need to move the sight though) and thats 8 rounds of 9mm ammo (7+1)

That being said its a little to big for pocket carry imho, it works in cargo pockets of shorts but for jeans its a little to big. It would work in a pinch but not as a daily pocket carry. it will work great in a IWB holster / belly band as it is very thin and small.

I would say the Kahr performed great and is built perfectly for conceal carry. Its also very affordable at around 400 total out the door price from online. you can also get it in 40 and 45 but the kick would probably be much worse
    I carry a Kahr P9 Covert, I ankle carry it daily in a Desantis Apache velcro. I also carry it in a Mitch Rosen IWB and I pocket carry it in a Kytac Pockit Lockit. I have had it on my ankle for 16 hours with no problem.

I'd rather have my G23 but my job and dress sometimes makes it tough to carry concealed.

First 2 pics on the left are the P9Covert with the 6 round flush fit mag. The top two on the right are comparisons between the P9 and the Glock23.
    Two bottoms are P9 in Mitch Rosen and same with a 7 round mag.

I carry (2) 7 round mags in my front pocket daily

Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Bucks County)

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the weight and feel of the 642 for backup purposes and the reliability of a good Smith wheelgun is beyond reproach.

I don't like SOB carry and am not a huge fan of ankle carry either. I have done it, and it's not comfortable . . . and you're right, it's really not very accessible. It's what I plan to do when my attire won't accommodate cross draw.

(Cambria County)

Although it is not always practical, ideally your BUG would be the same make and model as your primary.

You don't have to think about which one is better, just which one is easier to get to in any given situation.

You will get continuity of training, that being that both your primary and your BUG will preform exactly the same. Considering safety configuration, mag release location and many other nuances associated with different styles of pistols, it is easier if you don't have to think about which gun you are using.

Caliber differences can be a concern also. Don't want take the time to think about, "Eh, do I go with the 9mm or the .45?" Additionally transitioning from a .45 to a .22 in the middle of a firefight could be a bit distracting.

It's not always practical to have two of the same gun, but it is wise to have the two guns be as similar as possible. If something can go wrong, it will, and the less you have to think about what you are doing in order to operate your weapons, is the more you can think about how to resolve the predicament that has you using your weapons to begin with.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast