Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Question about bringing a shotgun from New Jersey

On Saturday I am taking my Father in law and his new wife shooting at my club. They live in New Jersey. She apparently enjoys shooting and he owns a shotgun. He mentioned bringing the shotgun to the range so that he could actually use it.

He is thinking about bringing the shotgun and meeting me at the club. From the club we will be going to my house for a holiday dinner. Will he be breaking any laws since he is not going straight home from the range

I did a search but was not coming up with anything. Thanks for any info in advance.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Question about bringing a shotgun from New Jersey

If he has an NJ FID (for purchasing/carrying rifles and shotguns and ammo) then he doesn't have to go directly to and from the range. You need one to buy a shotgun in Jersey but they are not valid if you don't keep the address updated.

Otherwise, while on the NJ side of the border, he should be headed directly to or directly from the range.

(Philadelphia County)

I often wondered how they would know if I stopped (unless they saw me or I was dumb enough to tell them).

[cop] Are you coming right from the range with that evil demonic shotgun with high caliber clips?

[evil gun owner] <burp> Yup, didn't stop to eat, pee or nuttin', Sir. But as long as you have me pulled over can you keep an eye on it so it doesn't go off on a killing spree all by itself while I use a tree?

(Northampton County)

NJ law is written that firearms are illegal and it's up to you to prove an exception.

If you tell an NJ cop you are coming from a range he may follow-up to see if you were there and what time you left. If he doesn't like what he does or does not find out he can book you and you'll have to prove your innocence. He only has to prove you have a gun. Seems extremely unlikely, but it is possible.

If you tell an NJ cop you are coming from an orphanage and he sees a piece of brass or a target then he will have RAS to search your car and when he finds a gun he has your word that you broke the law.

So, although I doubt it happens this way often, breaking NJ firearms law is not without peril.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    If he has an NJ FID (for purchasing/carrying rifles and shotguns and ammo) then he doesn't have to go directly to and from the range. You need one to buy a shotgun in Jersey but they are not valid if you don't keep the address updated.

Otherwise, while on the NJ side of the border, he should be headed directly to or directly from the range.
    I've oft heard the bolded above but I have yet to find a statutory basis. It is true that:

N.J.A.C. § 13:54-1.11 Duplicate firearms purchaser identification card

(a) Persons shall apply for a duplicate firearms purchaser identification card to replace a lost, stolen or mutilated card, or in the case of a change of residence by the holder, within 30 days of such loss, theft, mutilation, or change of residence.
    so failure to change the address is a regulatory violation (though I'm unable to find any associated penalty).

However the validity of the NJFPID card is provided in:

§ 13:54-1.7 Validity of firearms identification card and permit to purchase a handgun

(a) A firearms purchaser identification card shall be valid until such time as the holder becomes subject to any of the disabilities set forth by law and this subchapter pertaining to an applicant's eligibility. Upon becoming subject to any of the disabilities set forth in this subchapter, the card shall be void and shall be returned to the Superintendent within five days.
    I'm unaware of any case law on this matter but failure to report an address change is certainly not a disqualifying or revocable condition even if that's what the administrators (NJSP) want to think. Unfortunately firearm dealers licensed by NJ have been told by the state that the addresses of the buyer's ID and NJFPID must match so a current address has become a de facto non-regulation for non-FTF purchases even though, IMO, the NJFPID remains valid.
    IANAL