Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Question about SA revolvers.

Is there any reason to believe that a good SA only revolver is any more accurate than a good Sa/Da? Recently I was trying to buy a Dan Wesson 8 inch 357 but lost it due to waiting too long. The only other 357s my shop had longer than 6 inches were Sa only type revolvers which the shop owner (who is known to be a "cowboy gun" guy) swears would be more accurate for targets. Now I guess I can see this if I were comparing a Da from today against a Sa of years ago, from whenever that "they dont make em like they used to" time period was, but how about two recently produced guns? I recently bought my first Sa revolver. Just a Heritage 6.5 inch 22 and I didnt like it at first but now cant get enough of it so Im definately open to another one but if Im better off staying with an 8 inch barel Da gun Ill do that. Thanks.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Question about SA revolvers.

The drawbacks to cowboy SA's are the lack of good sights and slow loading.

What they have going for them is the fact that you have to shoot them in single action mode - which is less likely to foul up a shot with a long heavy trigger pull that can ruin your alignment. If properly equipped with sights, they very well can be more accurate.

I have a silhouette model of the Virginian Dragoon with a 10.5" barrel. It has target sights and is quite accurate, I mean scary accurate. There are very few handguns that I've shot that I'd have faith at hitting a target in rifle ranges, my Dragoon is one of them.

At typical pistol or defensive ranges a SA is still a viable player. They have a natural balance and feel for un-aimed instinct shooting. And if aimed with their blade and groove sights they can group close to better sighted other guns.

pics coming...
    Last edited by knight0334; November 30th, 2008 at 07:25 PM.

(Jefferson County)

On the left is the Dragoon. On the right is my old model Ruger Vaquero(same frame as Blackhawk.

I'd have to say that my Dragoon is more accurate than my old Python by a small margin, which is one of the finest and most accurate DA revolvers ever built. A Freedom Arms SA revolver would probably edge out my Dragoon in accuracy.

SA is only more accurate because the long trigger pull on a double action gives you time to go off target.

(Indiana County)

A DA fired in SA is just as accurate as a SA only gun IMO.

This tale of SAs being more accurate probably comes from comparing a gun being fired DA to a gun being fired SA, the SA will likely have an advantage due to the differences in trigger pull.

I owned a Dan Wesson in .445 Supermag, and there are 5 dead deer roaming around in deer heaven that would have a different view on DAs than your dealer.
    My 629 DX isn't no slacker either.