Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Who has the best price for shipping firearms?

This is such a hard issue to tackle, I went to my local gun shop to ask them to send a gun from them to an ffl out of state thinking this was the best way to ship a gun. My dealer respectfully told me that he wasn't in the shipping business, but in the retail business. The more I thought about this I figured he was right. So I call FedEx, and after being transfer several times the clerk gave me a figure around 70.00 to overnite a firearm. Unacceptable to me, next call was to the UPS 800 number, same type of treatment on the phone, then she states 50.75 to overnite a firearm. Handgun, three pound package. This is getting so frustrating, how do the guys on the forum only charge 20.00 to ship to someones ffl? None of the places I called would allow 2nd day air services on a handgun. I will be shipping from Pa to Ga as soon as I can work this out.
    Last edited by Airywhisler; January 26th, 2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Who has the best price for shipping firearms?

Quote Originally Posted by Airywhisler View Post
    This is such a hard issue to tackle, I went to my local gun shop to ask them to send a gun from them to an ffl out of state thinking this was the best way to ship a gun. My dealer respectfully told me that he wasn't in the shipping business, but in the retail business. The more I thought about this I figured he was right. So I call FedEx, and after being transfer several times the clerk gave me a figure around 70.00 to overnite a firearm. Unacceptable to me, next call was to the UPS 800 number, same type of treatment on the phone, then she states 50.75 to overnite a firearm. Handgun, three pound package. This is getting so frustrating, how do the guys on the forum only charge 20.00 to ship to someones ffl? None of the places I called would allow 2nd day air services on a handgun. I will be shipping from Pa to Ga as soon as I can work this out.
    i haven't shipped any guns, but have had a few shipped to FFL's for me and i remember them being sent USPS.

i would say send a PM to xringshooter or GRoPA for some advice because they are a couple of the FFL's here that i know of (plus xringshooter sent a handgun to GRoPA that i bought from him).

(Centre County)

Default Re: Who has the best price for shipping firearms?

FFL to FFL gives us a few other options. We can ship to each other using USPS which is cheaper. Some FFL's will not ship for an individual. I feel that I am helping a customer so I do it (for a small fee to cover my costs and time). If I am shipping, using UPS or FedEx I have to pay the same as you.

Now, some FFL's will not accept a gun from a non FFL (not saying that is right but that may be their policy). If they accept from a private party then just pack it up and take it to the main terminal (satellite terminals, like Kinkos, Office Depot, Staples, etc won't do it). Tell them you want it shipped overnight and that it is a gun. They may want to see a copy of the receiving dealers FFL, they may not. Either way, they cannot put anything on the package showing that a firearm is inside. It's the overnight charges that get you. I also wouldn't go by what the tell you over the phone. I can't give you exacts but I get gun shipments from wholesales and I know I don't pay 50 or 70 dollars for shipping (I would know because the wholesaler isn't going to absorb that kind of cost).

NOW, all that said, if what you are shipping is a LONG ARM (rifle or shotgun), a non FFL CAN use USPS (must be shipping to a FFL if interstate). If within PA (intrastate) anyone can use USPS to send it to anyone. Just pack it good and send it however you want. I typically send it Priority Mail, insured, return receipt requested (to know it got delivered). I sent a 1908 Remington Model 8 that I restored for my nephew (he lives in Texas) by USPS. It took 3 days to get there and arrived with no problems. I think the total cost for shipping that rifle was about $24-$25.

Hope this helps. If you have to ship via a FFL, just call around, you should be able to find a FFL to help you.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member