Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Gun Holster

(McKean County)

Default Gun Holster

Hi! I turned 21 several months ago and have been shooting pistols at ranges as much as I can. I finally decided that I am going to purchase a Sig Sauer P226 40S&W. I am completely new to CC, but have been reading PA laws religiously. My question is, what holster would you recommend? Since it is winter in our lovely state of Pennsylvania, a lot of clothing is commonly worn so it should be easy for me to conceal. I am not exactly sure where the best place would be for me to conceal or what holster to use. I am not too worried about carrying in the warmer months at the moment. I may end up getting a smaller pistol in the future if I find it difficult to conceal with little clothing. I am not a big guy. 165lbs, athletic. Any recommendations? Thank You.

(Columbia County)

Default Re: Gun Holster

First off, welcome to the forum. Second, do you have your LTCF (license to carry firearms) yet? I'm sure you probably know the LTCF is required to carry concealed, but I'll mention it just in case. Good choice on your first pistol - the 226 in .40 is next on my list to buy. The best concealed carry holsters in my opinion are crossbreed holsters, specifically the supertuck deluxe. They go for seventy dollars, but are worth every penny. They are IWB (inside the waistband) carry. Their website is: www.crossbreedholsters.com

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    First off, welcome to the forum. Second, do you have your LTCF (license to carry firearms) yet? I'm sure you probably know the LTCF is required to carry concealed, but I'll mention it just in case. Good choice on your first pistol - the 226 in .40 is next on my list to buy. The best concealed carry holsters in my opinion are crossbreed holsters, specifically the supertuck deluxe. They go for seventy dollars, but are worth every penny. They are IWB (inside the waistband) carry. Their website is: www.crossbreedholsters.com
    Those look to be very nice holsters- I may have to try one of them next as well. For now, I am using an Uncle Mikes IWB holster that I appendix carry with. It is the most comfortable I have used for this carry position so far and was only $19. I don't like that it does not have a retention strap, but being an IWB, I certainly know if my .40 S&W 990 moves lol. So far, it has not moved a bit though. I personally prefer appendix carry for all around comfort- I can sit in the car for extended periods, walk, run, etc. and it is far more comfortable for me than other positions I have tried.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
    Those look to be very nice holsters- I may have to try one of them next as well. For now, I am using an Uncle Mikes IWB holster that I appendix carry with. It is the most comfortable I have used for this carry position so far and was only $19. I don't like that it does not have a retention strap, but being an IWB, I certainly know if my .40 S&W 990 moves lol. So far, it has not moved a bit though. I personally prefer appendix carry for all around comfort- I can sit in the car for extended periods, walk, run, etc. and it is far more comfortable for me than other positions I have tried.
    I had an Uncle Mike's before, and it is like night and day moving from that to a crossbreed. I don't know how comfortable it will be for appendix carry though. Personally, I find appendix carry to be the most uncomfortable IWB carry method. I wear mine around 3:30 to 4:00.

(McKean County)

Those do look like some nice holsters. I'll check into it more and a few others before I decide, but that one is very tempting. Thanks for the welcome. Yeah I know about the LTCF, but thank you for informing anyway. I'm actually going to apply Monday. The p226 feels like love in my hand.

(McKean County)

Quote Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking I may have to try a few different ways of concealing to find which one feels the best to me.

(Pike County)

I had an Uncle Mike's before, and it is like night and day moving from that to a crossbreed. I don't know how comfortable it will be for appendix carry though. Personally, I find appendix carry to be the most uncomfortable IWB carry method. I wear mine around 3:30 to 4:00.
    See, everyone is different. I have a friend in the Navy who prefers appendix carry for his CC as well, but my brother in law said it poked him in the gut- and he has a flatter belly than I do. Yet, he carries IWB at 6 o'clock and I HATED it for all around use. I personally disliked carrying IWB at 3-4 o'clock as well. Maybe OWB would be ok, but for all around comfort, I found appendix to be the best compromise of all that I have tried for myself. Odd.

I'm still experimenting with holsters and positions though, so maybe the crossbreed will work out better when I try one.

Quote Originally Posted by mephane View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking I may have to try a few different ways of concealing to find which one feels the best to me.
    Yeah, everyone is different. See what works best for you. For the $19 that the uncle mikes cost, it was worth a shot for me .