Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22lr Power?

(Montgomery County)

Default 22lr Power?

In your opinion, if a car traveling at 55 MPH hit a full box (50) of 22lr would it damage the tire. I will not reveal why I am asking.
    If you are gong through Hell, keep going.--Winston Churchill

(Chester County)

Default Re: 22lr Power?

not sure....ive run over squirels, raccoons and opossums before and never had a problem

(Bucks County)

NO. Even if it caused one or more to go off, without being contained in a gun chamber, the case will rip and release the expanding gas instead of propelling the bullet.

(Lehigh County)

I really want to know why you asked this question????
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Jefferson County)

For the most part, no.. But I've seen the "impossible" happen several times in life.

Generally a barrel is needed to contain the explosive charge to create enough velocity to do much. But there is always that chance where circumstances are just right.

We used to smack 22RF's with a hammer to set them off. Most they did then was whack us about as hard as a very weak BB gun. ...I know, I know. But fireworks was, and still are illegal, but smacking 22's with a hammer wasn't. lol
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

IMO, it quite possibly could damage the tire. If it were able to ignite the primer/rim on one or more of the cases, which is quite possible, since the rounds are all touching each-other, then yeah, it could.

NO. Even if it caused one or more to go off, without being contained in a gun chamber, the case will rip and release the expanding gas instead of propelling the bullet.
    - Don't be so sure about that. Under the right conditions, the weight of the car on the tire could cause a high enough pressure/sealed environment that it may propel shrapnel with moderate velocity.
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Sec. 25. To guard against transgressions of the high powers which we have delegated, we declare that everything in this article is excepted out of the general powers of government and shall forever remain inviolate.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    We used to smack 22RF's with a hammer to set them off. Most they did then was whack us about as hard as a very weak BB gun. ...I know, I know. But fireworks was, and still are illegal, but smacking 22's with a hammer wasn't. lol
    LOL, ive thought about that but never tried it....so its not as dangerous as quarter sticks?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    I really want to know why you asked this question????
    Maybe he's a producer for Jackass or Myth-Busters.

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334
    My grandpa told me they used to do that as kids too, but one day one of his less bright friends decided to try it with a 12-gauge shotgun shell and back then they didn't have the medical technology to successfully reattach severed thumbs. Good ole stumpy.
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    lol I'm ashamed to admit, I've thought about this...a few times. Glad I'm not the only one lol!

I'd think there's a real chance of damaging the tire, just through all the shrapnel that would be created, if they weren't all instantly flattened. Lead may be soft, but brass is pretty rigid and very sharp. If the tires are a bit low on tread life, or low profiles, I could definitely see this happening.

(Franklin County)

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I believe all ammunition has the ability to be very dangerous. I've read to many stories of people treating it differently and ending up hurt badly over something they thought not possible.

For some reason a lot of these injuries happen with .22 and shotgun shells.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast