Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Luzerne County)

Default WB's top LEO thinks the OC law should be revisited

This was in today's Citizen's Voice. I couldn't find a link to the article on line, so I had to type it here. It was in the "Beat Reports" on page 8 and written by Bob Kalinowski bkalinowski@citizensvoice.com

"Dessoye on 'open carry'"

I've been trying to squeeze this in for a while and never got around to it. I felt it was necessary to get Wilkes-Barre police chief Gerald Dessoye on the record about his thoughts on the "open carry" movement that made news a few weeks ago.

First, about 12 members of the pro-gun group, opencarry.org, were involved in an uproar at a Dickson City restaurant when they hit the buffet line with guns on their hips.

In short, police were called, a gun was seized, and a federal civil rights lawsuit was filed. Weeks later, a group member's gun was seized by the Wilkes-Barre police as he walked down the street with a gun in his holster. Police say a neighbor first reported the man was waving the gun around.

Dessoye said he has concerns about the movement, even though he's a strong supporter of the Second Amendment.

"I am also a realist. The general public is uncomfortable seeing people with a gun strapped to their hip in public," he said. "I do believe people have a right to have a concealed weapon. If they need a firearm to protect themselves, I have no problem with that."

Dessoye said there is "not one law-abiding person" he has ever spoken to, who was denied a concealed weapons permit. Prior to these few incidents, Dessoye said he probably was a supporter of carrying a gun openly in some circumstances. {Bold text was my doing}

"Unfortunately, I was. Due to some of the recent incidents, where individuals were carrying firearms in public in an urban enviroment, and the discomfort it caused non-gun owners, I definitely think that the open carry law in Pennsylvania has to be revisited. {Bold text was my doing}

I unfortunately feel it will end up putting restrictions on people like me and my associates who use firearms for sporting purposes, such as hunting and target shooting."

(Berks County)

Default Re: WB's top LEO thinks the OC law should be revisited

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    "...Due to some of the recent incidents, where individuals were carrying firearms in public in an urban enviroment, and the discomfort it caused non-gun owners,..."
    Tough. Shit.

LEOs like that cause me discomfort. Lets revisit his employment status with the WBPD.

I can't believe anyone thinks that the 'ignorance is bliss' plan is a stable one.

(Allegheny County)

Once rights begin to be abbridged, even slightly, it begins a slippery slope that leads to a runaway train effect. It starts with a "reasonable restriction", and then almost always leads to outright bans eventually, for whatever the reason. There is a lot of contention between people that carry CC and those that carry OC, even on this forum. I'm of a mind that as long as you are exercising your rights, the mode of carry shouldn't matter. Someone being alarmed at seing a gun on my hip, doesn't abbridge my rights.
    The 2nd amendment is the RESET BUTTON on the constitution.
    Faith, Fun, and Firearms.
    Grace Life Church member

(Franklin County)

1. I wonder which "open carry law" he's referring to?

2. Once again, those damn people who carry for self-defense are causing problems for those who want to use guns for legitimate activities, like hunting and target shooting.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in PA View Post
    "Dessoye on 'open carry'"

First, about 12 members of the pro-gun group, opencarry.org, were involved in an uproar at a Dickson City restaurant when they hit the buffet line with guns on their hips.
    wrong group Chief
    Dessoye said he has concerns about the movement, even though he's a strong supporter of the Second Amendment.

Dessoye said there is "not one law-abiding person" he has ever spoken to, who was denied a concealed weapons permit. Too bad PA does not issue one. LTCF Chief
    "Unfortunately, I was. Due to some of the recent incidents, where individuals were carrying firearms in public in an urban enviroment, and the discomfort it caused non-gun owners.
    I feel uncomfortable in an urban environment without carrying Chief. Large chunks of your City suck.
    "
    Bold is mine this time.

(Indiana County)

INFO:
    Wilkes-Barre City Hall
    http://www.wilkes-barre.pa.us/citycouncil.php

Council meeting: Aug 7th

City hall ~ 4th floor in Council Chambers.
    40 East Market Street
    Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711

Telephone: 208-4117

MAP
    (click)

Speakers will want to arrive early. You must sign in/fill out a form to speak.
    Speakers are limited to 5 minutes.

Parking:

Meeting areas:

Pre-meeting: TBD
    Post-meeting: TBD

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    INFO:
    Wilkes-Barre City Hall
    http://www.wilkes-barre.pa.us/citycouncil.php

Council meeting: Aug 7th

City hall ~ 4th floor in Council Chambers.
    40 East Market Street
    Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711

Telephone: 208-4117

MAP
    (click)

Speakers will want to arrive early. You must sign in/fill out a form to speak.
    Speakers are limited to 5 minutes.

Parking:

Meeting areas:

Pre-meeting: TBD
    Post-meeting: TBD
    Pa. Patriot is supposed to update the other thread tonight, but I'll make a mention here as well.

There are ongoing 'behind the scenes' activities that may once again make it more prudent to hold off another month on making a 'group appearance' at a city council meeting. For now, plan on attending, but be aware that things may change in the days leading up to the meeting (the 4th to the 6th). Keep a close eye on the other thread for up-to-the-minute details.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

So where do we send the letters to let our opinions be known on the subject of OC? Seems to me that since this article was printed today then emails and letters should start going out tonight if it has'nt started already. I don't OC or CC because I don't have a gun yet (toothache means a few more weeks) but when I do get one I would at least like to have a choice.

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
    Pennywise The Clown

(Luzerne County)

Sorry don't want to discomfort the non-gun owners! I'll just forget about my rights so they can feel better about themselves.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast