Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Smaller caliber pistol help

Does anyone have suggestions for a pistol for a woman that is small framed and does not like recoil? This is for a carry gun not a paper puncher. I don't shoot many of the smaller calibers so I was hoping to hear some opinions. Thanks.
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Smaller caliber pistol help

38 special revolver

(Westmoreland County)

Most fire Arms company’s are putting out some nice Guns for woman. And the 38 revolver is an excellent choice. less chance of a problems. A couple things I would keep in mind , first for a carry gun I would go hammerless,less chance of hammer getting hung up, and the other, I would take her to a Gun show or large dealer so she can handle it. And get the feel for the gun.to pick out what she likes. and above all else take her out shooting . you would not buy someone a car that has never driven and send them on there way.

(Montgomery County)

Smile Re: Smaller caliber pistol help

I am small woman with small hands, and the glock 9mms really are a perfect fit. The newest models have some texture to the grip, but I havent' shot one yet to see it's impact. I know a lot of folks would recommend smaller guns for women, but really, a normal size small caliber gun is fine. I'd recommend a 17, so easy to learn on. .

I shoot a Glock 34, and also have a H&K USP 9mm that's amazingly low recoil.

The H&K USP might be the lowest recoil pistol I've personally shot that's not some sort of mini, it's like hardly shooting at all. Of course it's a bit more money.

I don't think anyone "likes" recoil, but once you get some time at the range it won't seem like much at all.

(Lehigh County)

Thanks for the input. I hope I didn't come off as being offensive meaning because she was a woman she needed a smaller caliber gun. That isn't really what I meant. She is a new shooter as well so I am just trying to introduce in baby steps. I more or less needed a starting point for what to start looking at. I have my own personal favorites as far as guns go but do not want to impose those on her so I was trying to see what other ideas people had. I will be taking her out to "try some on" to see if the fit and feel work well. And of course plenty 'o range time as well..
    ~De-Animating the undead since '08~

(Bucks County)

Looking for a taurus 25 cal for my wife. They are nice purse size pistols and no recoil she cant handle. Can get them brand new from taurus for like 266-280. They even have ones with cute little pink handle grips. LOL

gogle taurus arms then click conceal and carry weapon

(Monroe County)

get her a full size 9mm, if she can rack the slide she will operate the gun better than you can. otherwise give her a 38spl revolver.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Centre County)

You could also look at the Walther PPK/PPKS. Small, can be had in several calibers and the recoil won't be much.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Delaware County)

I posed a simalar question not long ago. The wisdom here seems to be, and I concur is to just take her to look and see what feels right for her. We are going to the VF gun show Saturday so she can get an idea. I looked at a Sig380 last weekend. Has some wieght to it. My thought is it is a good blend of power and size for her. With some of the new loads for .380 it can be a good HD gun for her.
    She will make the final decision though. Lots to look at.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by spabula View Post
    Thanks for the input. I hope I didn't come off as being offensive meaning because she was a woman she needed a smaller caliber gun. That isn't really what I meant. She is a new shooter as well so I am just trying to introduce in baby steps. I more or less needed a starting point for what to start looking at. I have my own personal favorites as far as guns go but do not want to impose those on her so I was trying to see what other ideas people had. I will be taking her out to "try some on" to see if the fit and feel work well. And of course plenty 'o range time as well..
    Baby steps? Heck most females I've seen shoot for the first time start with something like a .22lr or a .380 pistol but by the end of the day they get their hands on the biggest gun there and won't give it back til the ammo dries up. Best one was the girl that hijacked her boyfriends big bore hunting rifle her first time out. She shot up all his ammo. He ended up shooting the 10/22 the whole day lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast