Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Thumbs down Saiga-12 function test

I just bought a Saiga-12 this past Saturday at the gun show in Harrisburg. I've wanted one of these things for a long long time, but was too chicken shit to convert one, and too cheap/impatient to buy a Tromix Saiga. I finally broke down and got one and I ended up ordering all the parts for the conversion the same day. Just tonight I finally had an opportunity run some shells through it and do a basic function test and I have to say I am shocked and kinda disappointed.

Maybe this gun just requires a break-in period, but I had an absolutely terrible time with it. I ran 100 shells through it, using both the stock 5-round mag and an AGP 10-round mag and out of the two only the AGP magazine fed completely without any malfunctions... and that was just one time only, right at the end of the shooting session. I was experiencing stovepipes/failure to eject for the most part, however there were a number of occasions in which my impatience to rapid fire caused a malfunction because I pulled the trigger before the bolt had fully returned forward, which I assume kept the firing pin from correctly hitting the primer, if it ever made contact at all. It seemed more reliable if I watched the bolt return fully forward before pressing the trigger again. While that did work a little better, it was kinda disappointing as I was certain I'd be shoot faster this thing faster, especially after seeing videos of various nuts out there bump firing these things.

I'd like to hope that it was the super shitty ammo that I was using that was causing all of the problems. I have heard so many stories about the Saiga's legendary reliability and monotonous GLOCK-like consumption of a wide variety of ammo, so I figured I could get away with the $13 100-count box of Winchester "universal" from Wal*Mart. I guess I was wrong. I'm going to try a few boxes of something else a little bit less "bargain basement" tomorrow and see if that clears up.

So assuming that this problem continues tomorrow and ammo isn't the problem, what else could it possibly be? I cleaned this thing within an inch of it's life and generously lubricated it (not that it's supposed even to matter with an AK, I'm told) before shooting it, and I had the gas regulator on "2", which is the correct setting for light loads.
    Last edited by Cheeseybacon; September 10th, 2007 at 08:37 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Saiga-12 function test

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon View Post
    I just bought a Saiga-12 this past Saturday at the gun show in Harrisburg. I've wanted one of these things for a long long time, but was too chicken shit to convert one, and too cheap/impatient to buy a Tromix Saiga. I finally broke down and got one and I ended up ordering all the parts for the conversion the same day. Just tonight I finally had an opportunity run some shells through it and do a basic function test and I have to say I am shocked and kinda disappointed.

Maybe this gun just requires a break-in period, but I had an absolutely terrible time with it. I ran 100 shells through it, using both the stock 5-round mag and an AGP 10-round mag and out of the two only the AGP magazine fed completely without any malfunctions... and that was just one time only, right at the end of the shooting session. I was experiencing stovepipes/failure to eject for the most part, however there were a number of occasions in which my impatience to rapid fire caused a malfunction because I pulled the trigger before the bolt had fully returned forward, thus the firing pin didn't correctly hit the primer, if it ever made contact at all. It seemed more reliable if I watched the bolt return fully to battery before pressing the trigger again. While that did work a little better, it was kinda disappointing as I was certain I'd be shoot faster this thing faster, especially after seeing videos of various nuts out he bump firing these things.

I'd like to hope that it was the super shitty ammo that I was using that was causing all of the problems. I have heard so many stories about the Saiga's legendary reliability and monotonous GLOCK-like consumption of a wide variety of ammo, so I figured I could get away with the $13 100-count box of Winchester "universal" from Wal*Mart. I guess I was wrong. I'm going to try a few boxes of something else a little bit less "bargain basement" tomorrow and see if that clears up.

So assuming that this problem continues tomorrow and ammo isn't the problem, what else could it possibly be? I cleaned this thing within an inch of it's life and generously lubricated it (not that it's supposed even to matter with an AK, I'm told) before shooting it, and I had the gas regulator on "2", which is the correct setting for light loads.

Nothing a HAMMER wont fix

I am just kidding. I think you may need to try a couple of different types of ammo through it and if that cures it, run some of the better ammo for a little while till it "breaks in". Some guns are finicky about what they eat at first. I have a feeling maybe one of the tolerences may be too tight and things just need to losed up a little bit. Try shooting it a little bit and see if you continue to have problems with it. But in the mean time, I would contact either the manufacturer or the person you baught it from and let it be known your first experience with the gun wasn't that thrilling and you may need to have something done about it. Just my opinion...
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

(Blair County)

Ok I'll try to do what I can from here

Is your gas regulartor screwed in the whole way? (ie if you go to the "1" setting can you make another full turn?)

The 100rd boxes give about 1/2 the guns trouble, so try a different brand of ammo, mine runs great on Remington Upland 7 1/2 or 8 shot (its like $41 for a case right now at dunhams this week). The AA super handicap stuff from winchester is supposed to be like gold.

Also if ya have some slugs (not saboted) or buck shot lying around give that a shot on the "1" setting....

Most of the 12s don't need "break in" some guys have reported that they do though (how they do that is shoot alot with FTE or just run some buck on setting "2" that loosens things up pretty quick though)
    Last edited by scoutjoe; September 10th, 2007 at 08:42 PM.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Franklin County)

The gun came from Bill's Guns in New Alexandria and the guy who sold it to me made it VERY clear that any defects or repairs were to be covered solely by the manufacturer's warranty and to contact them directly if I had any issues. Basically the polite way of saying you're on your own if this thing doesn't work.

As for the regulator, I haven't checked just how many turns it could go in either direction. I'll have to check that out. Which way should I be turning this thing? Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey?
    I hope these problems aren't exacerbated when I do the conversion.
    Last edited by Cheeseybacon; September 10th, 2007 at 08:45 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

A lot of semi-auto shotguns are finicky with light target loads. Play around with the gas regulation and load.

(Franklin County)

I definitely tinkered with the dial. In fact, I even tried putting it on 1, thinking that perhaps I had got the numbers backwards. Shooting a round on setting 1 resulted in a complete failure to cycle the action, so I definitely knew right then and there that 2 was the correct setting.

I'll let you guys know what happens tomorrow after a couple different brands have gone through it.

(Blair County)

The resident Saiga snob

(Franklin County)

Well I went to the store today after work and bought some Federal Game-Shok, and some Winchester Super-X. I was hoping to get some "less cheap" target ammo, but that's unfortunately all they had, the selection was unbelievably picked over for some odd reason. Must be hunting season or something.

Anywho, wow! What a big difference! Every single damn round fed without a single problem! Yesterday I noticed my empty shells (when then gun did cycle correctly) seemed to dribble off the side of the gun onto the ground right in front of me. This time around the empty shells were being flung with authority, 15-20 feet away. It was definitely the ammo, I am so relieved. I ran both boxes of ammo through it and rapid fired my 10-round mag from beginning to end several times without so much as a single hiccup. The only problem I noticed was after I was finished I was insanely store and one of my shoulder muscles was erratically twitching a little. That being said, I hope I can find a target load that reliably cycles in this thing.

Can't wait to convert this thing!

(Blair County)

MWHAHA! Arn't those 10rders just plain fun?
    The resident Saiga snob

(Franklin County)

Indeed they are. The next time I try to bump fire again, it will be with a tad bit less violent ammo. Ugh, my thumb.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast