Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default [Group Shoot #3] PAFOA/PMSC (Western PA/Pittsburgh), June 15th, 2024

#3 Group Shoot 2024
    Saturday, June 15th 2024
    10:00 AM - 3:00 PM (please arrive by 9:45 AM)
    Pitcairn/Monroeville Sportsmens Club
    505 Mosside Blvd, North Versailles, PA 15137

Welcome to summer! If you haven't been to a group shoot before...

Who is this for: Basically, everyone. You do have to be a member of either PAFOA or PMSC. PMSC members may bring a guest per the club's guest policy. PAFOA members that are not a member of PMSC may not bring a guest. Fee is $5 for non-PMSC members. All ages and experience levels are welcome, even those without a firearm
    What is a group shoot: Just an informal gettogether where PAFOA members can hang out, chat, eat, and play with a bunch of different firearms. We'll usually have a friendly, casual side competition as well.
    When is this shoot? Please see above for the time. We ask that you arrive at 9:45 AM, as we try to relay important safety and event information to the group.
    Where is this shoot: Please see above for the address. As you enter the gate, take the right road of the fork. Follow the road up the hill, and around the gas well. As you reach the top, follow the road as it turns left. Continue to the large bay at the end. Note that, in addition to parking in the main bay where the shoot is held, the club has now opened additional parking as you continue right past the bay. Feel free to use this parking, or parking on the side of the road towards the bay, if the parking at the bay is filled. Please use common sense when parking - don't block traffic or a bay. Do not park in a bay itself.

Why go to the shoot: To meet like minded folks and have fun! I've made a bunch of great friends, and tried some really cool firearms at these shoots.

Safety Info

1) New Shooters
    Welcome to the shoot! We're always excited to have new shooters. Please pay attention to the following rules. If nothing else, remember that, when in doubt, ask questions. If you see anything potentially unsafe, point it out immediately and call a cease fire if applicable.

Please pay attention to Jeff Cooper's 4 rules of firearms safety:
    1) Treat firearms as if they are loaded
    2) Do not point the firearm at anything you do not wish to destroy.
    3) Keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to fire.
    4) Be sure of your target and what is beond it.

You must wear eye and ear protection at all times. Please sign in and ensure you pay the fee if you are not a member of PMSC.

2) Cease Fires
    It is important to know that anyone can call a cease fire for any reason. Using a loud audible voice, call cease fire. Upon hearing the cease fire, clear your firearm and place it down pointing in a safe direction. Do not touch the firearm again until a hot range is called. Wait for acknowledgement from all shooters that they are clear before going down range.

3) Range Operation and Firearms Handling
    Except for during a cease fire, the range will be hot. You may go to the firing line and shoot at any time you want. When behind the firing line, keep all firearms unloaded, with the action open.
    When bringing a firearm to the line to shoot, keep the muzzle pointed straight up or down with your finger off of the trigger. Load and unload only at the firing line, muzzle pointed down range. When you are finished shooting, clear the firearm, keep the action open, and bring it back behind the firing line with the muzzle pointed straight up or down with your finger off of the trigger.

You are permitted to have a carry gun, but please keep that firearm holstered for everyone's safety.

It is critical to ensure that your rounds hit the backstop. They must not go above the backstop, nor hit the ground in front of it. Adjust your aiming point on the target and positioning accordingly.

4) Ettiquette
    People bring a lot of cool firearms to the shoots, and most are generally excited to let you try them. Please ask for permission to handle or shoot a particular firearm before doing so. When handling a firearm, please do so at the firing line when the range is hot. Please treat the property of others with respect.

5) Steel
    Please note that the club has recently restricted the use of steel in most of the bays. However, club events are allowed to use steel. Accordingly, to ensure everyone's safety and to ensure that events continue to have this privilege, it is imperative that safety with steel targets is observed.

It is critical that projectiles from steel are deflected into the back stop or ground near the target stand. They must not exit the bay. If you notice fragments leaving the bay, immediately stop shooting and call a cease fire.

To ensure that fragments hit the backstop, do not shoot steel that is not securely fastened on both ends. Do not shoot steel if you notice any sort of chipping or damage.

Note that the steel in this shoot is the personal property of members - treat it with respect. Do not shoot steel targets with a centerfire rifle cartridge. Keep to straight wall pistol cartridges (pistol caliber carbines acceptable) or .22 rimfire. Do not shoot magnum cartridges at the steel.

6) Emergencies
    I hope that we do not have any emergencies, but in the case one does occur, there will be a designee to go to the gate to help guide emergency services to where they are needed. This bay is equipped with medical supplies that is to be used during life threatening emergencies only - not for minor cuts or scrapes. Please let me know if you sustain a minor injury.
    Last edited by TooBigToFit; June 14th, 2024 at 08:19 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: [Group Shoot #3] PAFOA/PMSC (Western PA/Pittsburgh), June 15th, 2024

Not going to make this one.
    Today was a good day!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: [Group Shoot #3] PAFOA/PMSC (Western PA/Pittsburgh), June 15th, 2024

Less than a week left! I'll be there. I think I really need a 22 can now.

Quote Originally Posted by msqueak View Post
    Less than a week left! I'll be there. I think I really need a 22 can now.
    You do, everyone should have one

(Allegheny County)

Bump!

(Allegheny County)

PSA. Steel plates have been banned from pmsc with the exception of the 2 bays down the goat path at the back of the club.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    PSA. Steel plates have been banned from pmsc with the exception of the 2 bays down the goat path at the back of the club.
    I believe they can still be used for club events, not sure if the group shoot falls into that.
    Today was a good day!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by arjohnson View Post
    I believe they can still be used for club events, not sure if the group shoot falls into that.
    ToBigToFit is looking in to that.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    ToBigToFit is looking in to that.
    I just went and looked at the email again, yes for club events but as I said not sure if group shoot falls into that. Probably means the steel matches.
    Today was a good day!

Glad i looked, its this saturday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast