Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Question Traveling from PA to VT With Pickup Truck

I am driving from PA to VT this weekend. I know PA and VT's laws, and have read the laws relating to interstate travel of handguns. I am throwing my motorcycle in the back of my pickup truck and heading up there. Now, what's my best bet to do this? The issue of NY remains as more than half of my travel time will be spent in that state. I have a small safe (numbers & key) that I store my Glock in when not on my person. Should I put this in my truck, under the back seat, on the passenger side? I'll have my mags empty, and my ammo in a separate location, and no empty mags in the Glock.

Any other recommendations or things I should print out/bring with me?

Thanks!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Traveling from PA to VT With Pickup Truck

I recently moved to VT, and brought guns with me. You can lock them up all you want, and store the ammo separately, blah blah blah. Comply with the laws, but the single most important thing you can do to avoid problems is...

Drive responsibly and don't get pulled over.

ETA: Just out of curiosity, what are you coming to the land of the free for?

(Chester County)

Presuming that you legally possess and transport according to state laws in PA and then VT, here is what you need for intervening states (including NY):

18 USC § 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    As has been said drive cautiously and have all firearm related material out of sight to hedge your bet.
    IANAL

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Presuming that you legally possess and transport according to state laws in PA and then VT, here is what you need for intervening states (including NY)...

As has been said drive cautiously and have all firearm related material out of sight to hedge your bet.
    FWIW, I've been told that being from a gun friendly state with gun-related anything on the vehicle (say an NRA sticker) could lead to questions best left unasked. In NY, arrest and costly legal proceedings are likely to follow. Mas Ayoob also told me that it's best not to have any of those evil "high capacity" magazines along. I have a couple of 10-round mags for my M&P, partly for that purpose.

(Bucks County)

Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm OR ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
    I still find that "or" interesting....

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I still find that "or" interesting....
    Yeah, but I wouldn't push my luck by taking advantage of it.

(Chester County)

Thanks for the info everyone. The new route I am taking MAY take me through NJ too ugh. I plan to drive normally (safe).

Quote Originally Posted by snakeman21 View Post
    ETA: Just out of curiosity, what are you coming to the land of the free for?

My g/f is finishing up at UVM and transferring down to Philly schools in August. She's always been the one to drive here (She has the 40 MPG German car lol), but I figured I'd be nice and head up to see her at least once.

(Franklin County)

Despite your most careful actions, it's impossible to fully allow for the actions of others, or random happenings out of anyone's control. So in the chance of an unanticipated LEO encounter:

1. Do not talk to the police
    2. Do not consent to a search
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Despite your most careful actions, it's impossible to fully allow for the actions of others, or random happenings out of anyone's control. So in the chance of an unanticipated LEO encounter:

1. Do not talk to the police
    2. Do not consent to a search
    Well, in covering all my basis' .. What's my best response to the question: "Do you have anything illegal in the vehicle? Do you have any weapons?" lol..

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11 View Post
    Well, in covering all my basis' .. What's my best response to the question: "Do you have anything illegal in the vehicle? Do you have any weapons?" lol..
    My response the the first question asked (no matter WHAT it was) would be "I do not consent to answer any questions without my attorney present". This does not necessarily mean I would remain absolutely mute. I might say something like "I'm going to reach up to my visor to retrieve the documents you requested" or things like that, but I would not participate in an "exchange" of communication.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast