Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: owning in PA

(Luzerne County)

Smile owning in PA

I would like to know, if i just want to own a handgun and keep it in my house for protection, do i have to register it or apply for a concealed permit?

And, do I have to apply for a concealed permit if i am transporting my gun from VT (which have no gun laws) to PA, and what if i get stopped? Should I tell the officer that I have one in the car. By the way, I do plan to apply for a concealed carry. Thanks!

(Monroe County)

Default Re: owning in PA

There is no need to register your guns or have any type of permit to own a gun. If you carry a hand gun concealed than you would need to apply for a LTCF (concealed carry permit)

Also, I am pretty sure that you can transport your guns from VT to PA if you are moving here. Not really sure but I am sure someone that has more knowledge of this can better explain than I.

Here is a good thread to read on gun rights in PA, it should answer a lot of questions about carrying openly and concealed.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...carry-you.html

Hope that helps.

EDT: I just wanted to add, that if you are transporting the firearms from VT to PA without a concealed carry permit, than you would need to transport them unloaded and separate from ammo. I really don't know what to tell you about transporting through NY which you would have to go through, but again hopefully someone that is more knowledgeable than I can shed some more light on this.
    Last edited by Longshot; March 9th, 2008 at 12:22 AM.

(Chester County)

There is no gun registration in Pennsylvania. You do not need any kind of permit to keep a gun in your home. All you need is to be legally allowed to own the gun.

You do not need a permit to transport the gun from Vermont to Pennsylvania. Simply put the unloaded gun into a case of some kind. Keep the ammo in a different container and you're good to go. Peaceable journey laws apply.

As far as telling an officer.... In Pennsylvania there is no law requiring you to inform the officer that you have a firearm in your vehicle. I do not know about other states though.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Chester County)

One other thing. If you are new to firearm ownership, I strongy suggest that you get some professional training. There are many ranges and gun clubs that offer excellent classes for new shooters.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Tioga County)

When traveling from VT to PA don't make any stops in NY. if you do and get caught with a gun they will charge you. it's a felony to have a gun in NY without the states permission. if you make a stop they will say you don't qualify under peaceable journey. As for NY as long as you qualify under peaceable journey I would suggest don't tell unless asked.