Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Knife Law / Fixed Blade / Dagger

Way back...I'm guessing 1980s....when Philly passed its knife laws, they actually spelled out the prohibition of the Shriners parading with swords. I don't recall the outcome.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by icp4life162005 View Post
    What about lawful self defense?
    like I said depends on who's interpreting it

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    I believe the gray area here is that a double edged blade may or may not fall under this depending on the situation.... and who is choosing to interpret it.

§ 908. Prohibited offensive weapons.

Any dagger, knife, razor or cutting instrument, the blade of which is exposed in an automatic way by switch, push-button, spring mechanism, or otherwise, . . . or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose.
    Huh, I think I've been misreading this statute for years, as I had been under the impression that all "daggers" (e.g. blades sharpened on both sides) or possibly any knife designed with self-defense in mind are banned as POWs, whether they are "exposed in an automatic way [...]" or not. That doesn't appear to be the case because this interpretation would obviously also ban all knives, which it surely does not.

However, I believe the catch-all "or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose" has been used to screw people before too, even though "self-defense" ought to be a common lawful purpose.

That whole Article 1, Section 21 "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned." thing seems appropriate here too.
    I am not a lawyer.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by buckengr View Post
    Huh, I think I've been misreading this statute for years, as I had been under the impression that all "daggers" (e.g. blades sharpened on both sides) or possibly any knife designed with self-defense in mind are banned as POWs, whether they are "exposed in an automatic way [...]" or not. That doesn't appear to be the case because this interpretation would obviously also ban all knives, which it surely does not.

However, I believe the catch-all "or other implement for the infliction of serious bodily injury which serves no common lawful purpose" has been used to screw people before too, even though "self-defense" ought to be a common lawful purpose.

That whole Article 1, Section 21 "The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned." thing seems appropriate here too.
    I wholeheartedly agree, on the same token I like Phil .... I feel like I'd rather have him come over for bbq than legal counsel.

thank you all for the feedback... what I am taking away is carrying a knife of this type may or may not put you in a position to test the waters in court... but at the very minimum owning a small dagger as a "collectable" locked in a safe is very unlikely to cause any hardship..

Quote Originally Posted by vladtepes View Post
    thank you all for the feedback... what I am taking away is carrying a knife of this type may or may not put you in a position to test the waters in court... but at the very minimum owning a small dagger as a "collectable" locked in a safe is very unlikely to cause any hardship..
    Sounds about right.
    I am not a lawyer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12