Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Century Arms 1911??

So I was cruising the web when I came across TheGunSource.com where they have a Century Arms 5 inch 1911 in .45 ACP for $329.99.....now I know you get what you pay for, but is this thing at least decent? I mean as a range gun..I still want the Sig 1911 when I am ready to change my primary carry gun.
    "We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate." ~ Thomas Jefferson

"A Canadian is sort of like an American, but without the gun"

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Century Arms 1911??

I have a couple of Century rifles and they function flawlessly.

But if I were you, I'd save a tad more, and get a Taurus 1911.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Delaware County)

Poke around, and see if they are made by Armscor.

The Charles Daly and Rock Island Armory 1911s are made by Armscor, as are the frame and slide of the STI Trojan. The RIA and STI pistols have a pretty good reputation and warranty service, but I'm not sure about Century Arms.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Poke around, and see if they are made by Armscor.

The Charles Daly and Rock Island Armory 1911s are made by Armscor, as are the frame and slide of the STI Trojan. The RIA and STI pistols have a pretty good reputation and warranty service, but I'm not sure about Century Arms.
    CD parted ways with Armscor this year, I believe. I dunno who is making them now.

(Wayne County)

Century Arms is a distinct company with no affiliation to Armscorp. As far as quality most reports are positive from what I have read. So basically it is a coin toss. Do you take a chance on a 1911 produced by a company based on price or reputation. If you are looking for a in expensive 1911 go for an RIA. They have great Customer service if it is needed and most customers are pleased with them so much that most own more than one.

Mike Mc

If I were you I would stay on course and save up for the SIG, (GSR?). I have one, and have been very pleased with it.

(Chester County)

From what I've seen, Sig isn't leading the pack in terms of value. Of the guns I've seen from Sig, all would have needed some work on them before I'd carry one. Gritty triggers, sticky safeties, sticky mag releases......I'd spend that money on a different 1911. It could have been the handful I've come across were all the bad apples, but I haven't been impressed.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    CD parted ways with Armscor this year, I believe. I dunno who is making them now.
    I had read something about that. I got the impression that the new ones aren't hitting shelves yet, but I could be mistaken. You'd know better than I.

The Sig 1911s are a Series 80 design with the trigger-actuated firing pin safety. A lot of people don't like that. Probably doesn't help the gritty trigger situation.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Berks County)

These pistols are from the Phillipines and made by a company called shooters arms.

I think the current US importer is the same ppl as the ones who were bringing in the Lllama/Firestar brands.

This link from m1911.org should help you out. There are more threads there about shooters arms just search the site:

http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.ph...t=shooter+arms

you might want to stick with the RIA( Rock Island Armory) brand instead......
    gotta love her ;)

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    From what I've seen, Sig isn't leading the pack in terms of value. Of the guns I've seen from Sig, all would have needed some work on them before I'd carry one. Gritty triggers, sticky safeties, sticky mag releases......I'd spend that money on a different 1911. It could have been the handful I've come across were all the bad apples, but I haven't been impressed.
    I heard the first versions of the GSRs were crap, but haven't experienced those. It actually suprised me to hear that, as EGW was doing a lot of the work for them, and the slides were from Caspian.

I have a 2nd generation GSR and it's been flawless. I did change the thumb safety and MSH. The safety is just a preference of mine; to have an extended, wide safety. I've changed that on every 1911 I have except for the SA TRP - which had it already. The MSH was preference too, as I wanted a small magwell, and the stock MSH had a lanyard loop that was uncomfortable in the grip.

Sig's new 1911s are now just the "Sig 1911" - no more "Granite State Revolution".

All that said, I've probably dumped enough cash into it to equal the price of another TRP.
    Complete equality isn't compatible with democracy, but it is agreeable to totalitarianism. After all the only way to ensure the equality of the slothful, the inept and the immoral is to suppress everyone else. - Iain Benson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast