Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default thinking about starting reloading....

..and do not have a single clue.
    plan is to start on black powder .45 colt loads, maybe a few b/p .45-70's. then onto .45 auto. after that just a few rifle rounds, maybe 3006, 308 and 30-40.

so i'm looking to get a "kit" to start off with.
    basicly just pulled a name out of the hat, and have been eyeing rcbs stuff....solely based on just having heard that name before.

found a package that centers around a turret press. it's advertised as having everthing but the shell holder and dies.
    so the question i guess is, are rcbs presses ok?
    really my only fear is getting a press that uses brand or worse brand and model specific dies.

i've sorta picked up on a few different types of presses.
    1. single stage?? where tools need changed for every function.
    2. turret. tools still need changed, but kept readily at hand.
    3.progressive, where every pull produces a finished round.

thoughts?
    Last edited by brian; January 10th, 2009 at 09:52 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Pike County)

Default Re: thinking about starting reloading....

I'd suggest you keep an eye out on ebay and the classifieds and pick up a used single-stage press. They all use standard dies, for the most part. You can start loading with a set of Lee dippers, a priming tool (on-press or hand-held), a single stage press, and dies. There is no limit to the amount of stuff you can add-on once you get started, but you knew that already!

--RobW

(Chester County)

Hi Brian

Lee makes a great starter kit ( I think it's called their 50th anniversary reloading kit ) - it have everything in it you should need except dies - I would start with .45 acp, components are easy to find and .45 is pretty forgiving to reload

good luck

Jeff

I began handloading in the early 90's to load 45/70 black powder loads for target competition.
    I started with a Lee hand loader, which is a hand held single stage unit.
    I loaded 30-30, 45/70, 9mm with this loader until I got a Lee turret press.
    I use the 3 hole unit, as they didn't make a 4-hole back then.
    The turret press can be made into a single stage unit (sort of) by removing the auto-index rod, and rotating the turret to the next stage by hand.
    You can size/deprime numerous cases without moving to the next stage if you wish.
    The Lee classic press kit is a good deal it looks like to me. It is similar to the kit deal I got my 3-hole turret with years ago.
    Keep in mind if loading 45/70 loads with pyrodex instead of Goex black powder:
    Pyrodex is a VOLUME load not a weighed load. this means that 70 grains of Goex black powder will be a correct load, but 70 WEIGHED grains of pyrodex will overflow the casing.
    Still use the little Pyrodex volume gauge to measure Pyrodex before you dump it into the case and seat the bullet.
    You'll find a lot of discussion of which manufacturer is best.
    All are good manufacturers, and make good equipment.
    Determine how much you want to load, how much you want to spend, timewise and money wise.
    It is an addicting hobby, as much fun as shooting itself.
    Someday (maybe) you may see a savings in ammo, but, usually, you'll spend any money saved on more equipment.
    Good luck, and Have fun

(Lebanon County)

If you want to crank out hundreds of rounds at a time, you'll want a progressive press. I've shot with you, I think you'll want a motorized progressive press.
    To get started and learn the basics, a used single stage is fine, along with a scale, powder dispenser, a good book or 3 and a few case prep tools. Read the books, they'll tell you a lot about how to use the rest.
    It doesn't take a lot to get started, but no matter how much you put into it to get started, you'll never be finished.

You should have said something to me this morning at the show. I saw a Lee single stage press for $15.00, a Reading scale for $20.00, a few powder measures and other tools that I didn't pay attention to and a lot of die sets for $10.00 - $15.00 per set. You could have had the tools you need to start loading a few different calibers for not much more than $100.00.
    Primers, powder and bullets are the next expense to take into consideration.
    Fr0sty found a connection for some components if you want to buy bulk. Primers can be bought locally for about $25.00/1000 and powder is about $120.00/8#. An 8# can will yield upwards of 1000 rounds of 30-06, or 9000 rounds of 45ACP. Different powders for different cartridges.
    If you have a place to set up a small bench, the time to learn, and the willingness to out think brass the same way you out think steel you've got it made.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by mauser View Post
    If you want to crank out hundreds of rounds at a time, you'll want a progressive press. I've shot with you, I think you'll want a motorized progressive press.

You should have said something to me this morning at the show. .
    the thought only resurfaced about an hour ago. thought i had it properly buried, then i had that damned flintlock out this afternoon....and here we are agian.

don't worry, the cruiser has a pto gear in the transfer case...i'll be reloading at the range......

(Centre County)

If you have not reloaded before: FIRST; get the latest Lyman reloading manual and read it over, it will explain what you are going to be doing and how to do it. It will explain all the terms, about reloading equipment, SAFETY, basically everything you need to know before you buy anything.

If you buy a reloading set that has all the basics in it, it will probably include that companies reloading manual with it. You will then have 2 manuals which is not bad, most long time reloaders probably have AT LEAST a dozen different manuals (from the bullet and powder manufacturers).

Don't rush, understand what you are going to be doing first. Then start shopping. All the major reloading companies make good reliable systems. Your decision will have to take into account what your objectives are and how much money you have to spend. Many of the bigger gun shops may even have some of he presses set up where you can look at them and see how they operate (although all single stage presses basically operate the same).

Reloading is a fun hobby. Notice I said fun, not inexpensive. Start reloading and you probably will start shooting more, which leads to more reloading, etc., etc.

Also, a safety tip: When you are reloading, it is the only thing you should be doing, do not get distracted, don't try to do it while watching TV, don't let the kids or wife (if any) distract you. Distractions can lead to disasterous results or bad injury. If you are distracted, especially when dispensing powder, STOP what you are doing and check everything before starting again. The worst you might have to do is dump the loads and start over. Always think safety.

Most of all HAVE FUN.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Schuylkill County)

DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE. THEY DO NOT HAVE A CLUE. THEY HAVE NOT READ YOUR POST AND ARE GOING TO GET YOU HURT.

First, you said you wanted to load for a BLACK POWDER cartridge. That means you will need SPECIAL powder drops and LOAD DATA because black powder goes BOOM. Gun powder (smokeless powder) burns, HUGE, GINORMOUS DIFFERENCE. If you use a smokeless powder load for a black powder load (or a measure) you probably will not live to tell us about your mistake.

Go to a black powder board and ask them. I don't know a lot about the cartridge differences, but I do know that black powder IS NOT what most of these people are talking about.

SPEAK TO OTHER BLACKPOWDER RELOADERS.

And guys.. COME ON. Read the posts before you regurgitate what you may or may not know. Props to Bama Man for pointing out the differences... but several posts after that still are talking about smokeless reloading.
    Last edited by Farbmeister; January 11th, 2009 at 10:41 PM.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Farbmeister View Post
    DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE. THEY DO NOT HAVE A CLUE. THEY HAVE NOT READ YOUR POST AND ARE GOING TO GET YOU HURT.

First, you said you wanted to load for a BLACK POWDER cartridge. That means you will need SPECIAL powder drops and LOAD DATA because black powder goes BOOM. Gun powder (smokeless powder) burns, HUGE, GINORMOUS DIFFERENCE. If you use a smokeless powder load for a black powder load (or a measure) you probably will not live to tell us about your mistake.

Go to a black powder board and ask them. I don't know a lot about the cartridge differences, but I do know that black powder IS NOT what most of these people are talking about.

SPEAK TO OTHER BLACKPOWDER RELOADERS.

And guys.. COME ON. Read the posts before you regurgitate what you may or may not know. Props to Bama Man for pointing out the differences... but several posts after that still are talking about smokeless reloading.
    Good catch!! Rep sent.
    You most definitely need different equipment and procedures to load black powder cartridges.

When I read the original post I didn't notice the 2 specific black powder cartridges, I focused on the part I put in bold:
    plan is to start on black powder .45 colt loads, maybe a few b/p .45-70's. then onto .45 auto. after that just a few rifle rounds, maybe 3006, 308 and 30-40.

I've shot with brian and I've seen him shoot mostly smokeless powder rounds.

Brian, You want to talk to Charlie. He lives close and he's the one to give you a hands-on education about any reloading you want to do, black powder as well as smokeless powder. You know he shoots a lot of black powder, including the cannon. He knows his stuff and is willing to help people who have an interest. I've never seen him turn anyone away, he loves to shoot, reload and share knowledge. You'll probably get a history lesson or two along with the reloading education. I don't mean history as it's taught in school, I mean the history of the cartridges you're reloading and the evolution from black powder to smokeless, which cartridges can be safely loaded which way, .......that kind of history.

Thanks again for catching the oversight and pointing it out Farbmeister!

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Farbmeister View Post

yes i plan on b/p loads, and many missed that.
    secondly calm down alittle bit.
    it takes more black powder to equal the power of smokeless. 70 grns of b/p is an every day load, even 100grns is a run of the mill hunting load.....70 grns of smokless is going to break something.
    so if i dipped b/p with a smokless scoop, it would yield underpowered rounds.
    i'am a loonnnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggg time black powder shooter.(for the locals that have seen my iron sight skillz..this is where it comes from.)
    you could'nt pack enough b/p into a case to reach dangerous levels.
    Last edited by brian; January 12th, 2009 at 06:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast