Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New gun owner

(Westmoreland County)

Default New gun owner

Ok so I came here to request info for gun ownership in pa. My dad passed away in March 2012 leaving me with a number of guns. I just recently dug them out and started buying ammo. I read that first sticky and that explained mostly everything. From reading that, the 33-30 marlin, .410 shotgun, 10g shotgun and 22 rifle no further action is needed? There is a mark II ruger that is also there. Since he is deceased, how do I transfer the ruger to me? It was purchased in ohio about 25 years ago for my dad from my uncle as a gift. My uncle died this year . When I take this to an FFL to get transferred, what kind of information will I need to be able to transfer so that I am able to sell it. (Looking to sell to get something I can carry). Thank You.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: New gun owner

Pretty sure you don't have to do anything at all. If it belonged to your parent and both parties are/were PA residents you don't have to go through an FFL.

And obviously if you aren't prohibited from owning firearms.
    Last edited by boomer_aaa; November 1st, 2013 at 01:19 PM.

(Westmoreland County)

Awesome well that is definitely music to my ears. What process would I need to follow in order to sell ( most likely trade in) the ruger at a gun shop? I'm worried my dads name might not come up, probably my uncles who bought it for him.

Quote Originally Posted by HondaGamerDude View Post
    Awesome well that is definitely music to my ears. What process would I need to follow in order to sell ( most likely trade in) the ruger at a gun shop? I'm worried my dads name might not come up, probably my uncles who bought it for him.
    You can sell the long guns to any PA resident who is not prohibited from owning firearms like you would anything. Cash and carry.

It's in your best interest to print two bills of sale and both the seller and buyer sign each copy. That way you have a record of the transaction.

Pistols will have to go through an FFL to transfer them to a new owner.

Though it's completely legal to retain firearms handed down from parents, it's never a bad idea to get them transferred to you by a FFL.

(Bucks County)

"it's never a bad idea to get them transferred to you by a FFL."

Have you personally done this? To what purpose? How is it accomplished...by presenting the decedent's driver's license, death certificate and letters testamentary?

Dude...Re an uncle buying Dad a gift gun 25 years ago...that would be after the 1968 Act. Pistol is already in Dad's name (wherever that record would be) or the gun has been illegal lo these 25 years, in which case I will come borrow it for a few years and keep you safe from jail.*

*I'm kidding!
    Last edited by Bang; November 1st, 2013 at 03:14 PM.

(Centre County)

If your dad left you, by his will, all the guns, then you don't have to do anything. When you sell the Ruger you just take it to the FFL and meet the guy who is going to buy it. The FFL will have you fill out the seller portion of the state form (SP4-113) and that is that. The FFL will handle everything else.

If your uncle bought it in OH, it won't show up on any PA records unless your dad had it transferred to his name. Even then, it won't show up when the sale happens.

Now, if your dad did not specifically leave you the guns in his will, then it gets a bit more complicated. Who was/is the executor of your dads estate? That person is the one who takes care of the estates property (personal and real) and how it is distributed. The executor can give you the long guns but the handgun would have o be transferred to you at a FFL (or Sheriffs Office). The executor would then be the "seller/transferer" and fill out the section on the form and you would fill out the state and federal forms and undergo the background check. Once it has been transferred to you, you can do with it what you want.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    If your dad left you, by his will, all the guns, then you don't have to do anything. When you sell the Ruger you just take it to the FFL and meet the guy who is going to buy it. The FFL will have you fill out the seller portion of the state form (SP4-113) and that is that. The FFL will handle everything else.

If your uncle bought it in OH, it won't show up on any PA records unless your dad had it transferred to his name. Even then, it won't show up when the sale happens.

Now, if your dad did not specifically leave you the guns in his will, then it gets a bit more complicated. Who was/is the executor of your dads estate? That person is the one who takes care of the estates property (personal and real) and how it is distributed. The executor can give you the long guns but the handgun would have o be transferred to you at a FFL (or Sheriffs Office). The executor would then be the "seller/transferer" and fill out the section on the form and you would fill out the state and federal forms and undergo the background check. Once it has been transferred to you, you can do with it what you want.
    My mother took care of anything that has to do with the will. She still lives at the house, etc. I'm just going by her word with the long guns as well as his he said he was going to leave them to me (only son). The handgun on the other hand was given to me by him Christmas 2011, he simply told me it was now mine and handed it to me.
    Last edited by HondaGamerDude; November 1st, 2013 at 04:55 PM.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by HondaGamerDude View Post
    My mother took care of anything that has to do with the will. She still lives at the house, etc. I'm just going by her word with the long guns as well as his he said he was going to leave them to me (only son). The handgun on the other hand was given to me by him Christmas 2011, he simply told me it was now mine and handed it to me.
    You and your dad/mom can give each other longuns or handguns whenever you want, no records required.

It doesn't matter who's name it was last "registered" in when you sell it to an FFL, just bring yourself and tell them you want to sell it or transfer to somebody else.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    You and your dad/mom can give each other longuns or handguns whenever you want, no records required.

It doesn't matter who's name it was last "registered" in when you sell it to an FFL, just bring yourself and tell them you want to sell it or transfer to somebody else.
    Thanks for the clarification. You guys were a big help! See you on the forums.

Sorry to hear about your father and uncle.

Thoughts and prayers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast