Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default WWII 3 Inch M5 Anti-Tank Gun

A friend and I spent the last several years restoring this 1942 US WWII 3 Inch M5 anti-tank gun (ATG) to functional original condition.

It is a registered destructive device/NFA item, capable of sending projectiles down range. Inert projectiles only. Explosive projectiles would be individual DDs by themselves and we're not going down that path.

It's not 100% complete but it's finally to the point I can show it off. It's taken a lot to get to this point. There is a small community that supports these kinds of projects and their help has been greatly appreciated. The amount of things I learned and people I met through this journey has been incredible.

A common question is, "Where did you get it?". Many large bore guns like this are legally in private hands. They are bought and sold just like any other NFA item. There were some towed guns in the last Rock Island Auction. Usually they are bought and sold by word of mouth.

3" Mk II M2 brass cases and 3" (76mm) projectiles are not too hard to find, but spendy. Cases average $150 and projectiles vary from $60-$300 (depending on condition and collectability).

Smokeless artillery powder is regulated since it not used in small arms and obtaining it is a process. I have to give some thanks to the local ATF office for answering all my questions and providing guidance on how to do this all legally. The PA DEP is also tied into the regulation of the powder. They have been good to deal with as well.

The case has a primer and primer extension tube that protrudes deep into the case. These can be reloaded with new primers.

A blank salute can be fired by putting black powder in a case with no projectile. I will have dedicated cases for that with a simple primer set up.

I have found one of three original sights it was equipped with (for direct and indirect fire). I am still working on finding the rest of those and other original accessories like cleaning rods, etc.

The only modification from original is modern 12V electric trailer brakes and a modern 7 pin connector to replace the original electric brakes. Yes, in 1942 they had electric trailer brakes. They were only for breakaway situations though.

Test fire will be soon. The fun is just getting started.

First time out for a test ride (almost forgot the safety chains).

Saturday we displayed it for the first time at a local club event. Weighing in at 5,700 lbs, it takes at least 4 or 5 strong guys to move it by hand. The Army assigned it a crew of 10 soldiers.

It is not fun to tow. No suspension, weight balanced on a single axle, very little tongue weight. Very bouncy even with the tire pressure lowered. Anything further than a short drive from the house and it will go on my car trailer for transport.

The barrel mounted taillight is an original accessory. Yes, that is an expanding PVC test plug in the barrel for transport.

Here is a poster board I put together for display. Large photo, there is more to the right which may not show up on mobile device unless you turn your device sideways.

In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Washington County)

Default Re: WWII 3 Inch M5 Anti-Tank Gun

Cleaning a 150" long barrel with a 3" bore is a lot of work. Hours of work. The first cleaning to see the condition took about 4 hours.

A t-shirt makes a perfect cleaning patch.

Beautiful rifling.

In America arms are free merchandise such that anyone who has the capital may make their houses into armories and their gardens into parks of artillery. - Ira Allen, 1796

(Washington County)

Restoration process photos...

We replaced a lot of rusted out metal.

The modern brake backing plates only needed a little modification but I had to design drums for the hubs that were machined from solid steel.

The majority of the right trail leg was replaced due to rust.

Every part was cleaned, repaired as needed, and prepared for assembly.

This assembly with two heavy duty coil springs counter-balances the weight of the gun. You can see them under the back of the gun when assembled.

Those two springs are reproductions, made by the company who made them during WWII using the design specifications from the original US Army order.

Even small parts like this brass latch handle took hours to braze back together.

(Berks County)

Very nice
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

Nice. I can only imagine neighbors that close with bidet yard signs watching you assemble/restore weapons of war in your driveway.
    iAnal

(Washington County)

History time...

The wiki page is pretty accurate base don everything I've read in books, so I won't repeat all that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-inch_gun_M5

The carriages were made by the Pullman-Standard rail car factory in Hammond, Indiana. The guns were also assembled on the carriages there. The recoil mechanism was made by Rock Island Arsenal. The gun and breech were made by Vilter Manufacturing, still in business making industrial compressors.

Here are some photos taken at the Hammond plant:

bushkill near american legion, Pennsylvania
    (Pike County)

Beautiful!

(Northampton County)

Congrats Outstanding Work SIR flag.gif

(Bucks County)

Wow! Thanks for posting and for keeping our history alive. It's a shame those photos and Allen's statement can't be juxtaposed to Biden's claim the 2nd doesn't include cannons.
    There are two kinds of guns. Those I have acquired, and those I hope to.

(Allegheny County)

Badass! You bringing it to a group shoot
    Today was a good day!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast